Paul Dayton-A Giant (please read)

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend, Paul Dayton was the most patient person I knew when explaining the techniques of pool cue construction. Don't get me wrong, he would grow angry when confronted by a technical question that started witht the phrase "but can't I just..."
There were no real shortcuts to true techniques and sound results for Paul. Paul spent countless hours over the phone explaining every aspect of his cue construction and in many cases, sent me examples-whether it was details on his point construction or what a perfect shaft looked and felt like or techniques for cutting rings consistently every time. After our conversations, I would sooner, rather than later, get a package in the mail containing all my questions answered in the form of actual pieces of Paul's work. I have never in all my life had a mentor, teacher or friend who was more concerned with me understanding what HAD to happen than my feelings about how it was being explained to me. Paul Dayton had probably forgotten more about cue making than I'll ever know. But he always treated me with respect, care and patience. Some of us are fortuante enough in this life to meet a true craftsman, a man who has come up through his various trades, absorbing everything humanly possible from each.
Paul Dayton was such a man. He has made his mark on this world. He will be sorely missed. Paul, thank you. You have my undying respect and love...Ray Weeks

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Excellent tribute to Paul. Sorry for the loss of your friend. He won't be forgotten.

lucky1974

Registered
I am sorry to hear about Paul passing. He was an awesome guy, who happened to make some pretty nice playing cues. I became friends with Paul over the last 5 or 6 years from ordering a few cues. Ordered one cue and liked it so much I ordered another, and another. The second one he didn't even ask for a deposit, A cue just showed up a year later and I mailed him a check. I spoke with him a few months ago and he said he was doing a bit better. So we spoke about a tribute Cue for my Mom that had passed away. I know that would have been a beauty if he only would have been able to finish . I will sorely miss our conversations. Being I am in Michigan he would always ask the weather here. He was a Class act and will be missed by many. Jason

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ray
all of us that knew paul feel your pain
my sympathies and condolenses to you

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend, Paul Dayton was the most patient person I knew when explaining the techniques of pool cue construction. Don't get me wrong, he would grow angry when confronted by a technical question that started witht the phrase "but can't I just..."
There were no real shortcuts to true techniques and sound results for Paul. Paul spent countless hours over the phone explaining every aspect of his cue construction and in many cases, sent me examples-whether it was details on his point construction or what a perfect shaft looked and felt like or techniques for cutting rings consistently every time. After our conversations, I would sooner, rather than later, get a package in the mail containing all my questions answered in the form of actual pieces of Paul's work. I have never in all my life had a mentor, teacher or friend who was more concerned with me understanding what HAD to happen than my feelings about how it was being explained to me. Paul Dayton had probably forgotten more about cue making than I'll ever know. But he always treated me with respect, care and patience. Some of us are fortuante enough in this life to meet a true craftsman, a man who has come up through his various trades, absorbing everything humanly possible from each.
Paul Dayton was such a man. He has made his mark on this world. He will be sorely missed. Paul, thank you. You have my undying respect and love...Ray Weeks

Losing a true friend, as you have, hurts forever. I know.... Rest assured Paul, you had some real true friends!

putt-putt44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul Dayton,,,,,Rest In Peace.

How Sad To Hear That Paul Dayton Passed Away.
He Was A Great & Humble Man & An Amazing Cue Builder, Or The Term He Loved Was ''Craftsman''.
I'll Miss Our Chats But Will Forever Have His Great Sense Of Humor In My Heart & That Very Warm Smile In My Spirit.
Rest In Peace Mr. Dayton ,,,,To A True ''Craftsman''....!!!!
Alan Ende.

cyberrot

Curly Maple Nut
Silver Member
sad to read about Mr Dayton...ordered a cue from him before...he was a nice guy to talk to regarding cues...he was a polite man and showed great pride in his work.

RIP, Mr Paul Dayton.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was blessed to get to speak with Paul a few times about cue building last year, he really was a great guy, thoughtful, kind, and a true gentleman. I thought the utmost of him based upon others personal accounts of him and of course, his craftsmanship was amazing. I was surprised he was so approachable and willing to help me. I was sorry to hear about his passing.
Thanks for sharing your memories Ray, sorry for your loss.

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
Paul was a great man in the industry, I ordered my first custom cue from him then went on to get a number of other cues from him. His work was excellent and he took a ton of pride in what he did.