lathe and absolute beginner questions

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi All,

I finally managed to get a hold a metal lathe.
It's an Emco Maximat v10-p.
First questions are around that.
My uncle got this from a neighbor about two years ago and knows it worked then.
Is there anything I should do/check/clean/lubricate before starting her up after just sitting for awhile?

Second question, what now?
Long term goal is to build full cues. I was thinking of getting started with joint protectors just to learn my way around the lathe and not waste a bunch of material.
What are the bare minimum tools I need to get started? What sources do you recommend for these?

Any literature or guides you guys would recommend?

Thanks for any help.

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
1st thing I'd say is SAFETY, buy some eye protection get to know your machine and scour the forums

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st thing I'd say is SAFETY, buy some eye protection get to know your machine and scour the forums

Thanks. I have other woodworking tools and have a healthy respect for the machinery.
I will take it slow and learn all I can.

Funny you mention it, i was scouring old manuals, wiring diagrams, and came across an old brochure for this lathe, and one of the pictures made me stop and say, man times were different.
No way this picture would make it into any publication now w/o eye protection. Who needs two eyes anyways?

6qaNqxe.png

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
Ouch,but it's a ton of fun and satisfaction when you make stuff...

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Emco's are nice high quality lathes - nice score.

80 - 90% of this manual will have little application to your interest, but it has been the classic for beginners for almost a century. Skim it, and maybe you'll pick up some tidbits. Skip down to chapter 4 and later and there is useful info on cutting tools, setting the tool height so it cuts effectively, measuring, and setting the lathe up to cut straight or tapered as well as other general info.

http://www.campkahler.com/files/how_to_run_a_lathe_sb_1of2.pdf

An awful lot of people with both woodworking and metal working machines limit themselves because they have no facility for making/grinding/sharpening the cutting tools. Buy inserts for production processes, but being able to make any tool you need, to whatever low or high level necessary for the app (quick grind for one time use, or something a little better refined for repeat set ups, or something in between) opens all sorts of possibilities. I'd get a modern Aloris clone or similar tool post. But i'd still reccommend learning how to grind tools to use in the holders as you go along, besides inserts or preground tools.

Good idea to start with joint protectors - satisfying, useful, and includes many lathe operations including some relatively complex ones like threading and perhaps shaping with shop ground form tools. Also, workholding and how to swap parts in and out of the lathe while maintaining concentricity. :)

smt

Last edited:

bstroud

Deceased
nice lathe.
small bore.

If it has been sitting a while you might want to change the fluids.
Learn to grind and sharpen your own tool bits.
Get a good tool post like Aloris.
A collet chuck for the head stock. Conventional clucks are not as accurate.

George Balabushka made fine cues without a large bore lathe. It just took longer.

Bill S.

shakes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi All,
Long term goal is to build full cues. I was thinking of getting started with joint protectors just to learn my way around the lathe and not waste a bunch of material.
What are the bare minimum tools I need to get started? What sources do you recommend for these?

Thanks for any help.

Most of your cue specific questions will be answered by this:

https://www.cuesmith.com/the-cue-building-book-from-tree-to-tip-to-trade-show.html

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome

As you work on getting the lathe set up to start building, take a day off the lathe, and start buying wood. Then buy some more wood, and then buy some more wood.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Dude we needa talk

Ive got jp wood i started making some last yr
Ive still got some pins and ive got a tap

Ive got butt anf shaft wood
Got some black plastic material for the jps also

And im a machinist

And I have the chris Hightower cue making book

Last edited:

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for the tips and resources.
That old PDF is very cool. reading through that now.
Excited to get going.

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude we needa talk

Ive got jp wood i started making some last yr
Ive still got some pins and ive got a tap

Ive got butt anf shaft wood
Got some black plastic material for the jps also

And im a machinist

And I have the chris Hightower cue making book

Richard, been too long. I will text you.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have a set of manuals on a disc that will help. It's mainly for Atlas lathes, but it covers the basics of setup, operating, and has charts etc. One of the files is Manual Of Lathe operations by Atlas, another, more generic, is How to run a lathe, by Southbend, it has a lot of helpful stuff. Pm me your address and I'll send it to you. You can print it or just read it from the pdf.
Dave
20181214_141200.jpg

Last edited:

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will mirror what everyone else has already said regarding safety, maintenance, and learning the basic operations you can perform on your lathe. Now speaking to you in the future wanting to build cues I would say start off first by learning the basic and most often performed repair procedures. Learn to install tips, ferrules, clean shafts, install wraps, joint pin/insert install and what not, those will be skills you will need to know for every single cue you decide to build and its a good way to familiarize yourself on some of the basic operations of the lathe at the same time.

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend you take a machine trades class to get familiar with the lathe. Safety first. Books are helpful but hands on training is the best

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Safety first each and every time is right. Protect your eyes, lungs, face. No jewelry, loose clothes(long sleeves).
I bought cheap maple dowels from home depot to practice tenons & JP's. Get started...you'll learn from doing. Post pictures, ask questions...Lot's of good knowledgable people here. Have fun and be safe.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out youtube, there are quite a few channels on machining. Everything from setting up your lathe, cleaning and maintenace, measuring, thread cutting etc.
The minimum amout of tools you need, kinda depends on your ambition level, but basic stuff like calipers, micrometers, carbide and HSS cutting tools, quality carbide drill bits etc you can't do without. A quick change tool post is well worth the money.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi All,

Is there anything I should do/check/clean/lubricate before starting her up after just sitting for awhile?

Thanks for any help.

Check the fibre gears first, that they are in good condition.
Change the head stock oil, and the gear box oil if it had the screw cutting box. Some did not have that. Make sure if the 3 jaw chuck is on spindle, that you hold something to keep the jaws locked. The jaws have been know to come loose when run without clamping something. Like a bit of 1/2 round bar etc.
Be careful of what you watch on youtube, plenty of cowboys out there. As a minimum wear safety glasses at all times. Always think safety , and always keep your left hand on the left hand side of your body. Do not get into the habit of your left and right hands crossing the centre line of your body. That is one of the major primary cause of machine tool accidents.
As for the cue making side of things, get Chris's book. It has a good basic grounding of what you need to know. Getting a good quality Quick change tool holder is a real time saver. For wood working , the Aliminium grade of sharp ground insert(Not the pressed only ones) will work really well with very consistent results. If you find them cheap, PCD (poly chrystaline diamond) inserts are awesome. Sometimes see these get sold off cheap like normal inserts by auctioneers who are not in the know. MAking things like a collet chuck is both a great machine tool learning exercise and experience, but will also ensure that the inner taper of the collet adaptor will run as true as possible.
Not sure what you have for measuring tools, buying a Noga Brand DTI stand will be an investment you will never regret. The next best value for money is a low pressure DTI, that will not mark the work piece with a Ruby stylus. The low pressure ones are generally the ones with the long stylus like 36mm long aprox.
Hope this will help you.
Neil

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Hi All,

Thanks for any help.

you will need a longer lathe

Kim

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you will need a longer lathe

Kim

Normally I would say great point but these days with common sense turned upside down?

A 19" Butt can identify as a 30" Butt.

Reality? Kim is very correct and deserves credit for being the only one to catch it.