How Reyes got so good in 3 cushion billiards...

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shorty was born in i do not know for sure but it was before cuelemans
Ceulemans was born in 1937
Shorty was past his prime by then
Really don’t know if Shorty was a world champion three cushion player but it was said he played three cushion really very well especially for a pool player

To my recollection, Larry "Boston Shorty" Johnson tended to have a grand average of about 1.05 in three cushion competition.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To my recollection, Larry "Boston Shorty" Johnson tended to have a grand average of about 1.05 in three cushion competition.
Hi Stu,
The only players at the Nationals who could be expected to maybe average 1.0+ until Sang Lee showed up were Gilbert, Hallon and Ashby.

From Charlie Ursitti's data, Shorty had tournament averages of .830, .744, .861, .771, and .869. On the other hand, he tended to play a defensive game which tends to lower the average. And maybe he averaged higher when he was younger. Ursitti's data doesn't show him until he's 49.

To put this back on topic, if Efren had gotten naturalized, he could have been the US 3-C champ until Sang Lee showed up.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I stumbled on this thread about Efren and carom billiards. Unfortunately, the original video seems to have disappeared. If anyone can find it, please post a link here.

Efren practicing for the 2019 Southeast Asian games. The game is one-cushion:

Efren playing balkline against Raymond Ceulemans:
-- just hit both balls but only two points can be scored in an area before a ball must be driven out of the area

Efren playing 3-cushion against Torbjorn Blomdahl:
-- There was a later rematch

I think there is a video of Efren playing English Billiards (three balls on a snooker table).

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I played in a seniors onepocket tournament in july 2021
efren won the event
among the notable players in it were ike runnels/nick varner/tom wirth/james christopher/Gabby Pouncey /James davis sr
in between matches efren would either play 15 ball rotation
or practice billiards on the 10 foot brunswick (non heated) carom table they had

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I played in a seniors onepocket tournament in july 2021
efren won the event
among the notable players in it were ike runnels/nick varner/tom wirth/james christopher/Gabby Pouncey /James davis sr
in between matches efren would either play 15 ball rotation
or practice billiards on the 10 foot brunswick (non heated) carom table they had

Heated or not that table plays like garbage, whole thing rattles when a ball hits a rail

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Heated or not that table plays like garbage, whole thing rattles when a ball hits a rail
regardless of the quality of the table
it surprised me to see efren spending time on it in between his onepocket matches
he also gambled on it in between his matches

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
regardless of the quality of the table
it surprised me to see efren spending time on it in between his onepocket matches
he also gambled on it in between his matches

why was it suprising , didnt know he played it or....??

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you’re in a Onepocket tournament I would think you’d want to be hitting pool balls not Carom balls
Also I would think you would want time on the tables you might be playing your matches on
But then again how would I know what’s best since I’m a hack and Efren is the greatest of all time

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you’re in a Onepocket tournament I would think you’d want to be hitting pool balls not Carom balls
Also I would think you would want time on the tables you might be playing your matches on
But then again how would I know what’s best since I’m a hack and Efren is the greatest of all time
We're talking about the GOAT here. Yrs back he won a 1p and a 3c tourn. in the same weekend in Chicago. When he's been at Shooters in Olathe he plays 3c in between matches. Him and Matlock played once and it was real close. ER was impressed with Dave's 3c ability.

Reactions: bbb

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Funny this thread popped up. Last night during the calcutta bids, Efren was playing 3c on the table and the wife and I watched as I tried to explain a few stories of his past. Now I will just share this with her. Too bad the OP's video is no longer up, would liked to have seen that.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some ER 3c:
Blomdahl won his first world championship in 1987 and his latest and sixth in 2019. That's about the same longevity as Raymond Ceulemans. I think Blomdahl's competition was a lot deeper than Ceulemans'.

The full match is here:

Geosnookery

I don’t know that he has any significant three cushion experience. He’s just awesome and can get into a three cushion match, 14.1, snooker, and probably Pyramids. His other main game was 18.2 balkline, not 3C according to anything I’ve read up on him. Do you have a reference?

Freddie <~~~ can barely get to one cushion
Efren could never have qualified for the top 128 Snooker rankings.

He ‘could have’ if it had been a goal earlier in his career. I’m actually glad he didn’t as we wouldn't have seen his magic on the Pool table. He’s the best player to ever pick up a Pool cue. Along with Ronnie OSullivan, the two best to ever pick up a billiards cue.

CanadianGuy

maybe the question should be how did Torbjorn get so good in pool? Didn't he smoke Efren in their nine ball exhibition?

A prime adult Efren would have struggled significantly cracking the top 100 in snooker and carom

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
A prime adult Efren would have struggled significantly cracking the top 100 in snooker and carom

We'll never know for sure, at the same tournament shown Reyes Playing blomdahl some 3c at the Carom cafe

Reyes also played sir Raymond ceulemans at 71.2 balkline, an exceedingly difficult game at which Raymond holds atleast one world title in.

As I've stated on another site about this match, I think at that part of reyes and ceulemans career, that Reyes was just hitting far more balls than Raymond which helped him get the win. Exhibition or not, that's pretty impressive .

He really is the world's most famous ball striker for a good reason.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The long article above from Billiards Digest mentions this cover showing the Magician.

Scan20220107_0001.jpg