Mike Dechaine

Mainplayer

Gold Member
Wow, I feel very grateful that many have commented on this post and the many kind words that were said!

As many have mentioned, I have been working for Renewal By Andersen for the past 2-1/2 years. They’re a great company and it was a decision that I do not regret in the slightest. I’ll be taking my career to the Mile High sometime in the middle of this coming year.

Pool is something that I think about all the time, but to be honest, don’t miss. The prize money is just awful! It doesn’t allow for anyone, besides maybe 1-2 top Americans, to make an OK living. Also, major tournaments, IMO, are a waste of money. Maybe one day, when I can balance family, work and pool, I’ll attend a tournament here and there because I feel like my potential for being the best player that every lived is still there! ;)

FUN FACTS

- Jay, if I called you out on something, you 100% deserved it!
- SMJ - I make 10x more working than playing in the Joss Tour and plain and simply, Zuglan is tough
- I am still ranked #2 in the United States

Hope everyone has had wonderful Holidays and cheers to 2020!!

MD

Last edited:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Wow, I feel very great full that many have commented on this post and the many kind words that were said!

As many have mentioned, I have been working for Renewal By Andersen for the past 2-1/2 years. They’re a great company and it was a decision that I no not regret in the slightest! I’ll be taking my career to the Mile High sometime in the middle of this coming year.

Pool is something that I think about all the time, but to be honest, don’t miss. The prize money is just awful! It doesn’t allow for anyone, besides maybe 1-2 top Americans, to make an OK living. Also, major tournaments, IMO, are a waste of money. Maybe one day, when I can balance family, work and pool, I’ll attend a tournament here and there because I feel like my potential for being the best player that every lived is still there! ;)

FUN FACTS

- SMJ - I make 10x more working than playing in the Joss Tour and plain and simply, Zuglan is tough

MD

Post of 2019, no close second. Keep on keep'n on...

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Wow, I feel very great full that many have commented on this post and the many kind words that were said!

As many have mentioned, I have been working for Renewal By Andersen for the past 2-1/2 years. They’re a great company and it was a decision that I no not regret in the slightest! I’ll be taking my career to the Mile High sometime in the middle of this coming year.

FUN FACTS

MD

You looked much happier at the last streamed event.

Good for you.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything is more expensive up north and he is selling Andersen Windows in MAINE where they need double panes for more insulation making them more expensive still.

I believe that down southaway they have to be concerned with hurricane resistant windows, which are quite heavy and expensive (you don’t want to know how I know).

Anywhos, Renewal by Andersen provides a great product (we had a bunch installed, including two sliding patio doors) and the company is great to work for according to the salesperson we had.

Good for MD.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've met a lot of sleazy, folks in my 66 years that have nothing to do with the above jobs. A lot of them were "degreed" people with college educatiions, which included some MBA and PHD fellers. I judge people by their actions, not by what they do for a living.

As in any walk in life there are good and bad.

In my most recent transaction with a salesperson it was wonderful. I was looking for a particular watch for Gail, which I could only find at one jeweler in the US, in NC, and Shelly was pure pleasure to work with. Have I had bad experiences with sales folks — sure. But as a pool player of many years, I know how to deal with them ;-)

Lou Figueroa

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow, I feel very grateful that many have commented on this post and the many kind words that were said!

As many have mentioned, I have been working for Renewal By Andersen for the past 2-1/2 years. They’re a great company and it was a decision that I do not regret in the slightest. I’ll be taking my career to the Mile High sometime in the middle of this coming year.

FUN FACTS

MD

Mike, there is a lot for you to be thankful for during your time spent playing pool. You gained some level of maturity and are better equipped now for your new career. It's unfortunate that you don't realize this. Whatever criticism you received was also well deserved. You need to own it!

When you are man enough to take responsibility for your own actions then you will be deserving of my respect. Good luck with your new career.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

FUN FACTS

MD

There's little question that you made the right decision and most of us, myself included, admire you for it. Keep up the good work and wishing you continued success in your new profession. Happy holidays.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some pool fans are like wrestling fans. If the guy or gal didn't make it big in the ring yet has made a very good living out of it, they are criticized because they never made it in it. It's a very weird mindset.

As for dechaine, I've never met the guy but he sounds like many players I've encountered in my time in esports. I would probably get along with him because those kinds of attitudes make me laugh.

Also, is it fair to say that dechaine had the mouth of fats and the ability of buddy hall mixed into one?

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
My hat off to Mike for replying this thread. Not surprised you can make a better living with a basic daytime job. Pool is still in a slump.

Hope Mike makes a Joe Balsis -like return to the scene some day. One of the most entertaining players to watch. :cool:

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I made one of my first posts about Dechaine, eight years ago. I didn’t know who he was but was impressed by his finish at DCC. Made the statement that I was surprised that I didn’t know a player who played that well. Also said I was going to pay attention and follow more closely. Received a few skeptical/questioning replies.

I did and was not disappointed. He proved to be an incredible talent and personality.

Had two interactions with him and he was great. I was obviously just a fan but he took the time to answer my questions and was more than polite.

I’ve already been warned about his less than polite behavior, so need to warn me about that. I’m still a big fan and enjoy seeing him play any time he gets in the box. Hope he shows up more often.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

FUN FACTS

MD
Happy New Year Mike

You have the best of both worlds, a great career and a great game. Hope to see you soon in the finals.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
A few years back at a TAR event I had dinner with MD and Jayson Shaw. I said over dinner that I was probably breaking bread with two future US Open Champions. One down. One to go.

I firmly believe Mike has one in him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

FUN FACTS

MD

It's tough to know you have world-class talent and not be able to capitalize on it due to financial reasons. You 100% made the right decision. I hope you and everybody else here puts as much work into your career and family life as you did in pool. The rewards will be infinitely greater and considerably more satisfying.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Also for any Canadian members who happen to see this...wth is a “hydro man” ? I tried googling but only got a comic character by that name.

Since the thread has been answered it's time for the random fact ...

"Hydro" is an eastern Canadian term, centered in Ontario. It came from, what was then, Ontario Hydro, the government-owned (crown corporation as we call them) electricity provider. It is now known as Hydro One following its move to privatization.

The term "Hydro" itself comes from the way in which the bulk of the electricity is generated: via water-driven turbine plants, or hydro-electric power.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has been my experience that a good percentage of salespeople that I have ran across, whether it be cars, real estate, retail commission sales, whatever.... Are a bunch of sleazy, smarmy douchebags who operate under the mistaken belief that they are smarter than you, and can con you into buying whatever it is they need to sell you. More along the lines of bullshitter than helpful sales associate.

Im quite certain that lots of pool players would have no trouble transitioning to this job title if the need arose. :thumbup:

Salesmen are the highest wage earners whether it’s windows or stocks and bonds.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Since the thread has been answered it's time for the random fact ...

"Hydro" is an eastern Canadian term, centered in Ontario. It came from, what was then, Ontario Hydro, the government-owned (crown corporation as we call them) electricity provider. It is now known as Hydro One following its move to privatization.

The term "Hydro" itself comes from the way in which the bulk of the electricity is generated: via water-driven turbine plants, or hydro-electric power.

Nice...I forgot I had asked this but you’ve satisfied my curiosity, thanks!

I was watching a documentary and the Canadian guy said “it could’ve been a plumber or a hydro man” I was thinking maybe like a water delivery guy but I had a feeling it wasn’t.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

FUN FACTS

MD

I am surprised that nobody had commented on your claim about relocating to the Denver area. So much work in this state right now and it is not slowing down for a long time. No end to the things to do and a fairly strong pool scene.

While Colorado is no where near a coast there are quite a few great players in the area and the rooms would welcome one of the best.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I had the pleasure of watching Mike entertain the folks in our local poolroom here in Bangor Maine a couple years ago. He was just visiting, playing some challenge matches and some prop shots stuff, bantering with the gang and all. It was great fun to watch, especially watching him run racks, sitting 10' from the table. I enjoyed it, and I know everyone else did too. Come back to Rack City again sometime, Mike!

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Colorado Springs was the most beautiful place I’ve ever lived. I loved it absolutely. Drove through the mountains and found a funny little town called Victor. There was a horse in the street all by himself with no gear on. Kids hanging out in the one bar, old mining shacks and whatnot.

My girlfriend at the time was from Elizabeth, another crazy beautiful area up in the woods, deer in the backyard licking the sliding glass door, mountains and snow and trees.

I was there for the army but I’d like to move back as a regular citizen. Maybe if MD moves there too I can crush him in 6-ball.