4-Balls-Limit-In-Kitchen-Rule, 1- Pocket

Greenthumb

Registered
At our senior center one pocket pool is being played more frequently this year, and sometimes the games take a long time to finish. Our general policy is not to play long duration games such as 14.1 and one pocket when people are waiting to play. We have recently started using the 4-Balls-Limit-In-Kitchen-Rule for One Pocket, and this variation of the game seems helpful in reducing the number of long duration games. However, none of us knows the rule in detail, and are wondering if anyone in this Forum knows where this rule may be posted. We understand it is used in some tournaments at Hard Times/Bellflower, CA sometimes, and also at Derby City tournaments in Indiana. Comments on how it affects the basic game, and details of the rule would be appreciated.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At our senior center one pocket pool is being played more frequently this year, and sometimes the games take a long time to finish. Our general policy is not to play long duration games such as 14.1 and one pocket when people are waiting to play. We have recently started using the 4-Balls-Limit-In-Kitchen-Rule for One Pocket, and this variation of the game seems helpful in reducing the number of long duration games. However, none of us knows the rule in detail, and are wondering if anyone in this Forum knows where this rule may be posted. We understand it is used in some tournaments at Hard Times/Bellflower, CA sometimes, and also at Derby City tournaments in Indiana. Comments on how it affects the basic game, and details of the rule would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that you just spot the ball/balls closest to the headstring anytime directly following a shot that causes more than 4 balls to be in the kitchen area. spot all balls in order of closeness until only 4 remain. that is my understanding. i think people here call it the martin rule I'm not sure exactly which martin it's named after though.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One rule for it is the rule Grady Mathews was using in a 2003 tournament. From a post at that time:

There is also one strange rule that I wanted to bring to your attention. If the last 5 or more balls are in the kitchen, or if the last 8 or more balls are above the side pocket, all balls are spotted. Grady says it's to prevent slow play. It has made for some controversy, with Joyner being down 7- 2 at a pivotal point in a match against a Baker gentleman from Clearwater (good player), and then banking one of the string and running out in about 45 seconds. I was curious as to your thoughts on this rule.
I think that's too severe although it might work well at your senior center. I think "spot the closest to get down to four behind the line" works better. This should be done at the end of each inning.

Greenthumb

Registered
Thanks Bob. Spotting all the balls closest to the headstring to get down to four behind the line at the end of each inning is what we've been doing, and seems to work reasonably well as long as the prior shooter keeps this in mind when leaving the cue ball after the shot that adds a 5th or more balls to the kitchen. We've had an unusual incident where the 5th ball in the kitchen wasn't noticed until a later inning, and it was clear that the last shooter had not caused the 5th ball to be in the kitchen. A suggestion was made to not spot that 5th ball until after the next inning. That's what we decided to do for that case.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob. Spotting all the balls closest to the headstring to get down to four behind the line at the end of each inning is what we've been doing, and seems to work reasonably well as long as the prior shooter keeps this in mind when leaving the cue ball after the shot that adds a 5th or more balls to the kitchen. We've had an unusual incident where the 5th ball in the kitchen wasn't noticed until a later inning, and it was clear that the last shooter had not caused the 5th ball to be in the kitchen. A suggestion was made to not spot that 5th ball until after the next inning. That's what we decided to do for that case.
Maybe you should agree that either player should note "five" when it occurs. Not a rule but a custom. You could also choose a smaller number.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another wrinkle is to spot the balls closest to the head cushion rather than nearest the line. The cushion balls tend to be more tied up.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another wrinkle is to spot the balls closest to the head cushion rather than nearest the line. The cushion balls tend to be more tied up.

This is the way we've played it out here a couple of times. I like it better than spotting the ball nearest the head string because that ball is more in play.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's the way it's played at the Hard Times when that unusual incident comes up.