How many here are big fans of 8 Ball Pool?

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
The juke joint, and honky tonk favorite.

Everyone has played 8 Ball. I play ball in hand on all fouls, just like modern 9 Ball. Must call the shot on the 8.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Everyone has played 8 Ball. I play ball in hand on all fouls, just like modern 9 Ball. Must call the shot on the 8.

Do you play three fouls?

I prefer to play "last pocket" when playing 8-ball. It adds a bit more complexity to the game.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

8 ball pool?.....and you’re from Mississippi?....:thud:...I thought only the British talked like that.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Do you play three fouls?

I prefer to play "last pocket" when playing 8-ball. It adds a bit more complexity to the game.

I've mentioned the existence of the 3 foul rule before, but I've never called it on anyone. Much less likely to 3 foul at 8 Ball, than at 9 Ball; wouldn't you agree?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've mentioned the existence of the 3 foul rule before, but I've never called it on anyone. Much less likely to 3 foul at 8 Ball, than at 9 Ball; wouldn't you agree?

The 3-foul rule comes into play sometimes when the 8-ball is one person's last ball and it is stuck in a pack of the opponent's remaining balls on the table. It becomes easy to foul someone out if they don't want to break out the cluster for fear of letting the 8-ball loose or fear of the other guy running out the table.

I like playing "last pocket" and some of the strategies in that game calls for some "creative" moving. If there is no 3-foul rule, people can prolong the game forever.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Call 8. BIH behind headstring.

I play ball in hand anywhere on the playing surface. The 2011 rules, which I own a hardcopy of; actually say that too. It really sucks to give your opponent ball in hand on the last ball, but that punishes fouls. No mercy..

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play ball in hand anywhere on the playing surface. The 2011 rules, which I own a hardcopy of; actually say that too. It really sucks to give your opponent ball in hand on the last ball, but that punishes fouls. No mercy..

What 2011 rules would that be?

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
What 2011 rules would that be?

Billiards: The Official Rules and Records Book
World-Standardized Rules 2011
World Pool-Billiard Association
Published by the Billiard Congress of America

I have heard people say "behind the headstring" all of my life; but when I read the rules, only the break shot had that limitation.

Just like 9 Ball.

Last edited:

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I rarely play anything other than 8ball. And it's last pocket, CB on the headspot after scratch, no shot calling, no rail requirements, no ball in hand.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Billiards: The Official Rules and Records Book
World-Standardized Rules 2011
World Pool-Billiard Association
Published by the Billiard Congress of America

I have heard people say "behind the headstring" all of my life; but when I read the rules, only the break shot had that limitation.

Just like 9 Ball.

I enjoyed behind the line cue ball ...and bring up balls on scratches. That is 8ball to me. I'm not a fan of anywhere BIH.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I find this whole thread intriguing, as if the OP doesn’t realize just how popular 8-ball is? There’s a disconnect here. And with so many rulesets as well as bar rules, it’s no wonder.

I generally play CSI rules or WPA rules, depending on how the other players want to play. But I certainly don’t mind playing slop rules.

Freddie <~~~ still loves 8-ball

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I pretty much gave up 8 ball when I started playing Straight Pool in 1973. I've played in one local 8 ball tournament since we moved to South Carolina in '97 and played a few times at home with visitors. I probably have not played 50 games since 1973.
It may surprise you to learn that in all the "favorite game polls" that I've seen on AZ since I got here in 2006 that 8 ball is dead last in every one I've seen and/or participated in. And there have been a bunch of polls.
When I started playing in a commercial room in 1973 the players did not play 8 ball at all. Only casual players, beginners, and kids played it. I met people who had never played pool in a bar, let alone played the game of 8 ball.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I love eight ball when it's played "take what you make" at the highest level.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy 8 Ball. Open after the break, Ball in hand on fouls, Call the pocket and the ball, and the rule of Scratch on the break gives Ball in Hand ANYWHERE (love that rule when folks will play it, really punishes a careless breaker)...