never figured this one out

bman43

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
made q for myself years ago.first time i made one with ivory joint.had a horrible hit. i mean real soft and bad . changed ferrule twice and several tips. a customer gives me his shaft for a new tip on a cue i made for him. i screw it on my butt and a great hit.i know,i only made one shaft my own cueand as a q maker i should definitely have made a second shaft.but i didnt. i eventually ran the shaft through my bandsaw thinking maybe there was a void,but it was solid . anyone see this before?ive asked many well known cuemakers and no one knows why?by the way, no insert,radial pin

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
I'll be 49 years old next week, and when I was a wee lad, and old (and wise) man gave me this tid-bit of Knowledge: There's two things in life a man can't figure 1. What's on a woman's mind. 2. The strength of wood cross-wise. To this day wood is the second biggest mystery in the universe.

Smiles,
Alan

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Just funky wood. Not all shafts are created equal. This is exactly the reason why I tone test my shafts before choosing them for a cue. There's a magic window of tone where the cue seems to just play awesome, pinnacle. I match the shaft & butt according to tone so to fit the cue into this window of harmonics. I do this by bouncing the components on the concrete floor, and by bouncing them in my hand. Two things i'm listening for is pitch & resonation, basically how pingy the wood is & how long it holds the pingy tone, kinda like a tuning fork. It all sounds friggin nuts I know. But I believe in the method so much that if I ever lose my hearing i'll quit building cues.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Well, you're lucky. I don't know if I have the ability to hear what you hear.
Do you play any musical instruments?

swami4u

Banned
After hitting with a ka'dri'llion cues, i can count about 20 that i thought had
a <<<<special>>>> hit/sound. They just dont come around that often. So my point is, If you to have hit with a ka'dri'llion cues, maybe your getting picky or maybe, just set in your ways on how a cue hits.

Plus, lets face it, the maple sucks today.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
No, I don't play any instruments. I love music but never learned to play. I'd rather listen :) I'd like to build a violin or two though, before my hearing goes.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just funky wood. Not all shafts are created equal. This is exactly the reason why I tone test my shafts before choosing them for a cue. There's a magic window of tone where the cue seems to just play awesome, pinnacle. I match the shaft & butt according to tone so to fit the cue into this window of harmonics. I do this by bouncing the components on the concrete floor, and by bouncing them in my hand. Two things i'm listening for is pitch & resonation, basically how pingy the wood is & how long it holds the pingy tone, kinda like a tuning fork. It all sounds friggin nuts I know. But I believe in the method so much that if I ever lose my hearing i'll quit building cues.
Your hearing will probably go down hill sooner than you wish to quit building cues. So here is what I suggest you do. Get a tuning device that measures the tone you like in cues and those that you don't like. Then you can use that electronic device in the future. As your hearing decreases slowly you might think the cues have the same tone you hear now when in reality they do not. So while your hearing is still sharp, get it all down so you can use a tuning device in the future. I would love to hear your thoughts in the future as to what key good shafts ring to when bounced.

swami4u

Banned
Your hearing will probably go down hill sooner than you wish to quit building cues. So here is what I suggest you do. Get a tuning device that measures the tone you like in cues and those that you don't like. Then you can use that electronic device in the future. As your hearing decreases slowly you might think the cues have the same tone you hear now when in reality they do not. So while your hearing is still sharp, get it all down so you can use a tuning device in the future. I would love to hear your thoughts in the future as to what key good shafts ring to when bounced.

If your serious about this, i have a family member with about 2 million in oscilloscope's i can use at will. All i need is one shaft that people agree has the perfect sound. (he sell's these things to the Fed's)

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member

That's cerainly a thought I have entertained, but have no clue what type of devise would do the trick. I'd sure love to be able to preserve or record it. Most of all, i'd love to be able to hone in on very specific frequencies so to find the peak, something my ears cannot do with repeatable accuracy.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
a regular old instrument tuner should work just fine...no crazy equipment nesessary. Or just make a recording and use playback, just put it on loop play and ingrain it in your head...and drive everyone else out of thier minds :wink:

ping,ping,ping,ping,ping,ping,ping,ping,ping lmao

record it put it on the computer, and then just go find any of the free music editing programs like audacity on download.com and that should let you see the breakdown of the sounds/pitches etc...and its FREEEEEEEEE

Hope that helps
G.G.

Last edited:

jtrombetta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my best friends who is 3 time VNEA and BCA international champion says you are the man to talk to about shafts, hands down. He told me of this cement test you do, nice...

bman43

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
made q for myself years ago.first time i made one with ivory joint.had a horrible hit. i mean real soft and bad . changed ferrule twice and several tips. a customer gives me his shaft for a new tip on a cue i made for him. i screw it on my butt and a great hit.i know,i only made one shaft my own cueand as a q maker i should definitely have made a second shaft.but i didnt. i eventually ran the shaft through my bandsaw thinking maybe there was a void,but it was solid . anyone see this before?ive asked many well known cuemakers and no one knows why?by the way, no insert,radial pin

i have heard of the tone thing and it makes sense.i sent it through the bandsaw then fireplace so no tone test. thanks for the replies all.

stevel

Lomax Custom Cues
Silver Member

Don't quit,I'll buy you a hearing aid.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Steve,Do you do the watch the frequency thing with your cues?
Just curious,as for my carbon shafts,there is a line between a great shaft and a what is just a shaft. to put numbers to it is about 15 hz