Did Ko hit a rail?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The six was not frozen to the rail. Had it been so, the referee would have had to announce it in advance for it to be treated as frozen to the rail under the rules. There was no such announcement. It was not a foul.

You'll notice at about 23:00 that the referee correctly walks to the other side of the table to check for a frozen ball. That's how a good referee handles it.

Last edited:

minh2015

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The six was not frozen to the rail. Had it been so, the referee would have had to announce it in advance for it to be treated as frozen to the rail under the rules. There was no such announcement. It was not a foul.

You'll notice at about 23:00 that the referee correctly walks to the other side of the table to check for a frozen ball. That's how a good referee handles it.

Bullshit, the referee never check on that 6 ball. From the way the 6 ball rolled after the break (if you can analyze the screen when it hit the rail and back) 99% it's frozen. Had the referee check that 6, it would'd been a foul.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bullshit, the referee never check on that 6 ball. From the way the 6 ball rolled after the break (if you can analyze the screen when it hit the rail and back) 99% it's frozen. Had the referee check that 6, it would'd been a foul.
The 6 could have been off the rail enough to see from where the ref and players were. I think they could see better than we can on the video. Alex didn't let out a peep. Alex was free to call for a ruling before the shot. If it was frozen it was a mistake on everyone at the table.

minh2015

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In order to check that 6 ball the ref need to put his hand over shadow it, that's how close it was. Which he never did. No one would know for sure now, but from the way it rolled, most likely it's rail frozen.
It is officially a legal hit since no one check the 6 or would think the 6 would be hit. My point was the ref never check on that 6 ball and it most likely an unofficial foul.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In order to check that 6 ball the ref need to put his hand over shadow it, that's how close it was. Which he never did. No one would know for sure now, but from the way it rolled, most likely it's rail frozen.
It is officially a legal hit since no one check the 6 or would think the 6 would be hit. My point was the ref never check on that 6 ball and it most likely an unofficial foul.

And it would be unlikely for the ref to even consider the 6 from where Ko was kicking from.
And I agree its impossible to tell from looking at the video whether the 6 was frozen.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
In order for it to be a foul the 6 would need to have been declared frozen prior to the shot. It wasn't so no foul.

In order for the 6 to be called frozen, it would obviously actually need to be frozen and it's not. Check the break https://youtu.be/RbEIYL53mmA?t=1164 and the very last movement of the 6 is rocking away from the rail.

Regards, Dave

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Actually, based on the nature of the double kiss, I feel fairly certain that the six was a little off the rail. At that speed, I don't think a frozen ball would come out as much as it did. The commentator, similarly, mentioned that it was off the rail, not that it might have been against the rail, which they'd have said if they had believed it possible. Your statement that this could only be determined by standing over the ball is false, as it can also be determined by looking along the long rail, but if you watch again, you'll see that the referee did stand over the six ball before making the call.

At least you seem to understand that it's not a foul as a player is entitled to be notified of a frozen ball situation in a refereed match.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It's the opponent's responsibility to call a ball frozen.
If he doesn't it's treated as not frozen.

That is the rule in an unrefereed match, not in a refereed match.

When there is a ref, however, a ruling can be requested by either player, but in this case, it doesn't appear that anyone present thought the six to be frozen to the rail.

vinay

Registered
As per rule 1-19(4) of the CSI rules in effect here,

4. An object ball is not considered frozen to a cushion unless it is declared frozen immediately prior to the shot and before the shooter is down on the shot.

Since no such ruling was made, the ball is not considered frozen so it's a legal hit. Looking at it carefully it looks like the 6 ball moved after it was hit so it probably want's frozen anyway.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As per rule 1-19(4) of the CSI rules in effect here,

Since no such ruling was made, the ball is not considered frozen so it's a legal hit. Looking at it carefully it looks like the 6 ball moved after it was hit so it probably want's frozen anyway.

Those are actually the league rules. This event goes by WPA rules, which does have the same rule on balls on the rail:

8.4 Driven to a Rail

A ball is said to be driven to a rail if it is not touching that rail and then touches that rail. A ball touching a rail at the start of a shot (said to be “frozen” to the rail) is not considered driven to that rail unless it leaves the rail and returns. A ball that is pocketed or driven off the table is also considered to have been driven to a rail. A ball is assumed not to be frozen to any rail unless it is declared frozen by the referee, the shooter, or the opponent. See also Regulation 29, Calling Frozen Balls.

vinay

Registered
Those are actually the league rules. This event goes by WPA rules, which does have the same rule on balls on the rail:

My mistake, but yes as you said, the same rule exists there. I think a similar rule exists in almost any competitive venue serious enough to have a written rule book. Even the APA has the same rule.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shouldn't of been frozen, but was due to a lean. At 19:26 (on break) you can see the lean on the 6 as it bumps the rail twice and comes to lean frozen. Doesn't matter now and still a nice shot.