Shafts...maple or LD production?

Sofaking

Registered
I’m finally getting a custom cue made. My biggest struggle is deciding to get the cue makers maple shafts vs asking him to use a predator blank or another LD production blank with the butt. Do you folks have any strong opinions either way? Cue will have a Southwest 3/8x11 flat faced joint so buying a production shaft later will not be an option I presume. I would really appreciate your feedback.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you think it's a distinction between a maple shaft and a LD shaft?
I make maple shafts, and they are low Deflection by any standards.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
ICue will have a Southwest 3/8x11 flat faced joint so buying a production shaft later will not be an option I presume. I would really appreciate your feedback.

Predator already makes shafts with a 3/8-11 joint. Seyberts sells them.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would get what you play with already. It sounds like it may be an LD shaft. If so discuss with the maker about the cost of having a partial matched and fitted to your cue. Depending on the ringwork it may not be much more than buying a finished shaft elsewhere. You have a perfect opportunity to get an LD shaft that matches in design and is perfectly flush at the joint. For future resale considerations I would have at least one of the cuemaker's standard shafts.

Last edited:

Sofaking

Registered
Thanks for the replies, guys. I do not play with an LD shaft. In fact, Ive never hit a ball with one. Seems that’s the direction the game is going so I did not want to miss the opportunity to make the switch. I figured you would know more than anyone if a high percentage of your orders have been placed with that request. I hate pay for shafts to sit in the closet if/when I do make the switch.
The cues I have now are 20 and 30 years old; but, the designs were not chosen by me. I took what the maker had and I could afford at the time. I’m finally getting what I want.
Thanks again for your input. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, venturing to anything new usually carries risk. You might not get accustomed to an ld
commercial shaft thus wasted money. You need to find a friend that has one. :) All the low deflection shafts available are one version of Maple or another but not created equal. "Low deflection compare to what" good question.

Mario

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's not going to be one right answer to this question. Firstly, deflection is influenced by many variables, and it is not accurate to say overall that a custom maker's standard shafts are high or standard deflection. That is going to vary, and besides there isn't a standard to judge what grades out as high vs standard vs low deflection. Maple isn't inherently high deflection. Several shaft makers these days are using carbon fiber because it is lower density and the most important characteristic in deflection is mass near the tip, but although that means the lowest deflection shaft will be carbon fiber, it doesn't mean that all carbon fiber shafts are lower deflection than all maple shafts or that maple shafts can't be low deflection. Indeed, although the Revo is provably lower deflection than its predecessors, the pioneer low deflection shafts are maple.

What would I do? I'd definitely get at least one shaft from the custom maker. Ideally, you'd also be able to test a LD shaft with the same cue to compare before sinking the $ on it and then ask the maker to put on a collar with matching ring work if you like it. Otherwise, if you're just a casual player and you enjoy what you get, stick with it. I'd also be aware that there may be big differences to you just in the tip that is installed, so it's often really hard to tell what you like best unless you get to try a whole bunch of cues/shafts/tips over time.