Old viking worth anything

Mikiemopa

pechauer dealer
Silver Member
A buddy sent me pics of his old viking, wants to know if it worth anything. Straight and excellent condition. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• received_2336037359825688.jpg
    received_2336037359825688.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 762
  • received_680857429093509.jpg
    received_680857429093509.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 756
  • received_934839596849295.jpg
    received_934839596849295.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 752

nodeflection

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something looks off about it to me. The Viking stamp and the joint type don't match up in age. I definitely could be wrong but it may be a frankencue.

Edit: looks like I found a few.

I would agree with the price garczar mentioned. 150 or so.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something looks off about it to me. The Viking stamp and the joint type don't match up in age. I definitely could be wrong but it may be a frankencue.

Edit: looks like I found a few.

I would agree with the price garczar mentioned. 150 or so.

Just so you know these older Viking and Excalibur cues from the 70s and 80s that came with those heavy brass joints play MUCH better if you replace that brass joint with a non metal joint such as JUMA. Mueller of Lincoln Nebraska will do the swap for only $35. I converted an older Excalibur from the 70s to a Juma joint - the cue went from 21.2 ounces to 19 perfectly balance ounces- with a new layered tip added and a Juma ferrule the cue plays lights out - many of these older cues had great shaft wood that has remained straight- mine was a mint condition 70s Excalibur- made by Viking back then. If anyone is interested I can post pictures of the before and after cues.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Just so you know these older Viking and Excalibur cues from the 70s and 80s that came with those heavy brass joints play MUCH better if you replace that brass joint with a non metal joint such as JUMA. Mueller of Lincoln Nebraska will do the swap for only $35. I converted an older Excalibur from the 70s to a Juma joint - the cue went from 21.2 ounces to 19 perfectly balance ounces- with a new layered tip added and a Juma ferrule the cue plays lights out - many of these older cues had great shaft wood that has remained straight- mine was a mint condition 70s Excalibur- made by Viking back then. If anyone is interested I can post pictures of the before and after cues.

I’m interested....had some brass jointed cues I didn’t keep....
...maybe I should’ve changed the brass

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Excalibur from the 70's?

I thought they were not made until the 80s. I could be wrong.

Viking made some.

Later others were made in Asia.

Occasionally the Viking made ones come up on Ebay. I have seen some go dirt cheap. I guess people didn't know Viking made them.

I would probably leave the joint alone, but I play with and prefer steel jointed cues.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excalibur from the 70's?

I thought they were not made until the 80s. I could be wrong.

Viking made some.

Later others were made in Asia.

Occasionally the Viking made ones come up on Ebay. I have seen some go dirt cheap. I guess people didn't know Viking made them.

I would probably leave the joint alone, but I play with and prefer steel jointed cues.

Yes - could be 80s. But the old brass joints weighed over 2 ounces and those cues were not made with rear weights so they were way off balance with the brass joint- replacement to an implex style joint makes them so much better all around. I find SS piloted 5/16 14 joints fine if it is a true quality custom that is balanced throughout the cue- the productions are not really balanced well with metal joints unless the rear weight screw is perfectly proportioned. often it is not- and if there is no rear weighting system the metal jointed production cues are way too forward balances for me

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That viking is from the 90's

Yes , correct I was referring to 1980s Excalibur made by Viking = the one you see here is a mint condition Excalibur from the 80s I found on ebay for $40 2 months ago- perfectly straight with great shaft wood quality- had Troy Downey from Muellers remove that heavy (2.2 ounce) brass joint and replace with Juma- now the cue is perfectly balanced at 19 ounces - those cues did NOT have any rear weight bolts- so all the extra weight was in that brass joint and it was far too forward weighted- now it plays like a gem- you can see the glue in the second picture on the butt sleeve from where the original sales sticker was on the cue- it came off real easy and the cue cleaned up to mint condition- looks like somebody bought it in the 80s- played a few racks and then it went in a closet - case was mint. Reason I bought this cue was my cousin plays with an old Excalibur like this one and I always noticed how great the shaft held up and played- you could tell from the density and how it aged that it was real quality maple- so I grabbed this one and did the joint conversion- also added a soft layered tip and Juma ferrule to match the new JUMA joint- plays now like my $2000 customs!

SEE insert photo below for new JUMA JOINT photo

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 526
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^
The shaft wood is amazing....Viking lives in the middle of a great wood supply.
...I’ve only had one JUMA jointed cue...love the feel of the hit.
...and I dig the joint collar inlays...like my old Joss

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The marblite rings are great.

I remember one of the best hitting cues I ever played with was a old Viking. I love them!

VikingCueMfg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep... my best guess is 92-96 with the "USA" in the logo. Would have been C series C95 with Lavender Pearl. That color was only around a couple of lines, but that exact buttstamp was not. The N series flyer actually shows that model cue in that color.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first cue was a Viking with the same logo that I got around 93/94. I foolishly sold it after I got into custom cues. It was a beauty. Birdseye plain Jane with a big pin. I think it was $140 new.