Two Table Venue - What kind of tournament are you hosting?

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in a place that doesn't have a pool hall around. There are two bars in the city, each with two 8ft. tables.

If you wanted to run a tournament/weekly event with two tables and no more than 16-20 players, what would be your ideal tournament?

We already are using one of these bars to have a weekly handicap 8-ball, 9-ball, and occasionally scotch double tournament (Sundays - 5p-?). We start with a single game round robin of either two or four groups and then have a seeded single elimination tournament afterwards.

I am in conversation with the other bar to start up a similar tournament but on a weeknight.

Would you consider a chip tournament, regular double elimination, or ????

I want to do something different from what the other bar is doing to have more choice.

I think a chip tournament would be great since we already have a handicap system from the other bar, but I have not done the math, and with only two tables, I am afraid it would take too long.

What have you AzB? Two tables, 12-20 players who are mostly bangers, 5ish hours of play.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in a place that doesn't have a pool hall around. There are two bars in the city, each with two 8ft. tables.

If you wanted to run a tournament/weekly event with two tables and no more than 16-20 players, what would be your ideal tournament?

We already are using one of these bars to have a weekly handicap 8-ball, 9-ball, and occasionally scotch double tournament (Sundays - 5p-?). We start with a single game round robin of either two or four groups and then have a seeded single elimination tournament afterwards.

I am in conversation with the other bar to start up a similar tournament but on a weeknight.

I want to do something different from what the other bar is doing to have more choice.

I think a chip tournament would be great since we already have a handicap system from the other bar, but I have not done the math, and with only two tables, I am afraid it would take too long.

What have you AzB? Two tables, 12-20 players who are mostly bangers, 5ish hours of play.

16 player bracket max. DE 9 ball, race to 3/3. If its moving slow, 3/2.

Starting at 7pm, should be done between 11pm-midnight.

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have done a couple round robin 8 ball tournaments at our local bar.
Play each opponent twice so both get to break and used the same points system as the local league to keep it simple. It's good for the players because everybody gets a lot of games, and it's good for the bar because the players are never eliminated and are there longer buying food/drinks.
Total points at the end to determine winner. At the end of the day everybody seemed happy.

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the idea of short rack 8-ball. I have never played it but it might be a nice change of pace because 8-ball can take forever with neophytes playing ticky tacky safties the whole game.

How do you deal with these people who are so used to playing in handicap tournaments?

I don't think we could host a tournament without handicaps because the bar players are so used to this in our city.

I am not in the states so no one here is an APA or BCA player but there is a homebrew handicap system they have developed that most of the people who regularly play are familiar with.

Thanks for the advice so far, everyone.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... What have you AzB? Two tables, 12-20 players who are mostly bangers, 5ish hours of play.
You could run multiple single-elimination tournaments with a single-elimination playoff of the winners at the end. Race to one, so the players keep rotating and there is little waiting with pressure in every rack.

You have time for about 60 games. That would be four 16-players mini-tournaments and a playoff at the end. The playoff could be a race to two.

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob, in your format what do you with the winner of the first, second, third single elimination tournament? Are they allowed to play in the others? I am curious about this format the most. I like that every game means something.

When you mentioned 60 games, what game where you thinking 8 or 9 and what is your “avg.” min. per game?

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Anyone else have input?

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to play in a tourney that was a race to 1 8-ball on the winners side and a race to 2 9-ball on the losers side. Was 32 people on 4 tables and took 4-5 hours so I imagine that 16 people on 2 tables would be about the same. Pretty fun format honestly.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob, in your format what do you with the winner of the first, second, third single elimination tournament? Are they allowed to play in the others? I am curious about this format the most. I like that every game means something.

When you mentioned 60 games, what game where you thinking 8 or 9 and what is your “avg.” min. per game?

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Anyone else have input?
The winners of the first "qualifiers" stick around and drink beer until the finals start at 11. The losers can sign up for another qualifier assuming that they aren't all full.

I may have assumed 10 minutes per game, but you can do your own calculation for some other number of minutes per game and the 10 table-hours you are projecting. The time per game includes looking around to find the next two players.