Chicago player

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meh, what a nobody saw, that never won a thing. Now get back on your couch, that pasta is not going to eat itself :p

lol.

I just finished climbing around Machu Picchu — no couch in sight.

Lou Figueroa
no pasta either
just a couple
of llamas

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
lol.

Lou Figueroa
no pasta either
just a couple
of llamas

Chewing on Cocaine leaves and climbing a mountain in Peru does NOT make you a star, 'pool detective' or player!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
lol.

Lou Figueroa
no pasta either
just a couple
of llamas

Good to hear you are getting off your arse. It's never too late it appears.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chewing on Cocaine leaves and climbing a mountain in Peru does NOT make you a star, 'pool detective' or player!

Never said it did.

And BTW, it’s coca leaves not cocaine leaves, and the only reason you do that is to alleviate the symptoms of altitude sickness (shortness of breath, head ache, nausea). I was fine but Gail’s blood oxygen level fell to 86% so we had a medic give her some oxygen to get her to 93%.

Lou Figueroa

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Never said it did.

And BTW, it’s coca leaves not cocaine leaves, and the only reason you do that is to alleviate the symptoms of altitude sickness (shortness of breath, head ache, nausea). I was fine but Gail’s blood oxygen level fell to 86% so we had a medic give her some oxygen to get her to 93%.

Lou Figueroa

Coca, cocaine, it all comes out the same a little buzz and no altitude issues!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Last time I saw Jeff Carter was at the Chicago Billiard Cafe...
...is either one still around?

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw Varner many times in the late 90s, past his prime; Bugs a couple of times, past his prime; you, several times (past your prime?); and Artie, once, admittedly past his prime.

No way he could hang with Varner or Bugs. They had way too much finesse and firepower for him. I’ve seen what I’ve seen. You Chicago lads want to say otherwise, have at it.

Lou Figueroa

I would only argue one point, Lou. Varner (who, granted, I'm a fan boy of) was not past his prime in the late 90s. In fact, he won the Derby City One Pocket in 2000 I believe. He had a beautiful ebony and ivory Bill McDaniels cue that he was playing really good with in that tournament.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I would only argue one point, Lou. Varner (who, granted, I'm a fan boy of) was not past his prime in the late 90s. In fact, he won the Derby City One Pocket in 2000 I believe. He had a beautiful ebony and ivory Bill McDaniels cue that he was playing really good with in that tournament.

Nick Varner won the 1999 World 9-ball championship.
...not bad for past his prime...he was also playing on the Mizerak Senior Tour.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You would be right about that, Matt.

But regardless, in the case of older players, you can usually tell how strong, potentially, they were in their prime in pretty much the same way you can watch a new guy come into the pool room, hit a few, and know whether they're a player or not. I saw that in the case of Dallas West and Ray Martin -- both far past their prime -- but still able to dab the ball in a way that you knew they were total killers back in the day. Same with Steve "Cookie Monster" Cook.

But in other cases, you watch a player in his older years, and have to scratch your head as to what all the hullabaloo was about.

Lou Figueroa

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

But regardless, in the case of older players, you can usually tell how strong, potentially, they were in their prime in pretty much the same way you can watch a new guy come into the pool room, hit a few, and know whether they're a player or not. I saw that in the case of Dallas West and Ray Martin -- both far past their prime -- but still able to dab the ball in a way that you knew they were total killers back in the day. Same with Steve "Cookie Monster" Cook.

But in other cases, you watch a player in his older years, and have to scratch your head as to what all the hullabaloo was about.

Lou Figueroa

Yeah, similar to your game against JB. I'm sure you never played that bad in your early years. But, shit happens, don't it.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Love Steve Cook's game! I've also seen video of Ray Martin from...gosh...as recent as 5 years ago I believe, playing straight pool, and his stroke was like silk. He nestles the balls into the hole. It looks like he's playing a musical instrument the way he gets through a straight pool rack. To me...there is something to be said for STYLE. I wish I could have seen him in his prime.

There was way more style in that old batch of champions from the 50s-90s. Why? Most were relatively self-taught. Different strokes, stances, etc...but all got through the cue ball so beautifully. They all played different. People would comment on Buddy's style, or Rempe, or Sigel, or....they were all unique. Each an artist with an individual approach to the game. So much more exciting and interesting.

Of course there are still champions from the 90s playing great pool and fun to watch!

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Lou,

when clocking "old" players/hustlers variables can be part of the equation contributing to what you see, these include but are not limited to:

how long they didn't play and how many hours they put in after picking up a cue prior to your observation

health to include tremors, stroke, etc

laying down or trolling for fish

just off the top of my melon

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love Steve Cook's game! I've also seen video of Ray Martin from...gosh...as recent as 5 years ago I believe, playing straight pool, and his stroke was like silk. He nestles the balls into the hole. It looks like he's playing a musical instrument the way he gets through a straight pool rack. To me...there is something to be said for STYLE. I wish I could have seen him in his prime.

There was way more style in that old batch of champions from the 50s-90s. Why? Most were relatively self-taught. Different strokes, stances, etc...but all got through the cue ball so beautifully. They all played different. People would comment on Buddy's style, or Rempe, or Sigel, or....they were all unique. Each an artist with an individual approach to the game. So much more exciting and interesting.

Of course there are still champions from the 90s playing great pool and fun to watch!

Matt, I was fortunate enough to take lessons from all three champions I mentioned.

In each case it was wonderful to watch them execute.

Lou Figueroa
and the stories
they told!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Lou,

when clocking "old" players/hustlers variables can be part of the equation contributing to what you see, these include but are not limited to:

how long they didn't play and how many hours they put in after picking up a cue prior to your observation

Oh, you want him to use logic? He knows full well, when he saw Artie play in his late 60s, that Artie quit playing pool over 25 years before and was making his living gambling in Vegas on anything NOT pool related. He made 10000 times more money gambling than playing pool. There was not any financial reason to keep practicing. I think when Vegas forced him to retire he finally bought a table and played a little then.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou,

ribs, you are absolutely correct.

All that happens and more. But in the case of AB he was raging for months about his perfect, no mistake 1pocket on the other group. And so, many of us went to watch him play JH at the DCC. And I don’t think I’m out of line saying that the vast majority of us from the groups kibitzing on the sidelines went away wondering where the beef was. We were all on the rail looking at each other mit very puzzled expressions all around.

Lou Figueroa

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Lou,

Rib, a VERY astute observation on your part in all those categories!

In all of your mentioned categories, Artie fell victim to!