Stroke Tempo (?)

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In golf putting an accepted technique is to always have the same tempo when you putt (let's say 1.0 second backstroke and 0.5 second up stroke, total 1.5 seconds). On a longer putt you draw the putter back further, but maintain the same 1.0/0.5/1.5 tempo. Ball's hit further since the putter's moving faster (moving further in same amount of time).
Make sense to try applying this to pool?

Haven't heard of this approach being taught by pool instructors (maybe for good reason?).

Obviously some jacked-up stroke positions would be exceptions, but would it work in general?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
In golf putting an accepted technique is to always have the same tempo when you putt (let's say 1.0 second backstroke and 0.5 second up stroke, total 1.5 seconds). On a longer putt you draw the putter back further, but maintain the same 1.0/0.5/1.5 tempo. Ball's hit further since the putter's moving faster (moving further in same amount of time).

Haven't heard of this approach being taught by pool instructors (maybe for good reason?).

Obviously some jacked-up stroke positions would be exceptions, but would it work in general?

This way makes more natural sense than the numbers way that a certain faction of instructors teach, at least it does to me.

This is what many athletes actually subconsciously do whether that think of it or not.

Best Wishes for You & Yours.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still working on incorporating a pause/smooth transition from the end of my last practice stroke to the start of my final stroke. Adding a small pause has helped me and I'd say the timing nearly matches 1 second back - pause/slow to stop - 1 second forward.

A complete pause feels weird to me so I try not to do it but I can't help but see that it does, indeed, help me when I play.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

In General a good idea.
Each of us a wired a little different, so to each his own.

The back stroke should be smooth whether it'd fast or slow, smoooooth.

randyg

PoolChump

Banned
In General a good idea.
Each of us a wired a little different, so to each his own.

The back stroke should be smooth whether it'd fast or slow, smoooooth.

randyg

I was always told and have read a very slow back stroke and smooth accelerated forward stroke is key. It could be possible for anybody who has played a long time to create their own tempo.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should stay away from this Rick, because you know NOTHING about SPF teaching or training. The OP does. All you're doing is here is posting to badmouth something you know nothing about. If you want to be banned, continue this drive by "attack" style posting and that's what will happen.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

This way makes more natural sense than the numbers way that a certain faction of instructors teach, at least it does to me.

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The stroke tempo is, in my opinion, one of the most essential components of a good cue action. The best players usually, if not always, have a unique stroke rhythm which they execute at a certain speed or tempo. Everyone has an ideal stroke tempo--deviate from this tempo and you would most likely miss the pot.

Look at Efren Reyes or Ronnie O'Sullivan for instance. Their practice strokes have a unique 'choreography' and are always at a certain tempo. Efren's practice strokes looks as if he's "playing the violin" according to Billy Incardona, while Ronnie's looks like that of "a top darts player setting up for the throw", according to Steve Davis.

Even though their practice strokes may vary slightly depending on the shot, the tempo of the feathering is always the same. A player who is "in the zone" is a player who has managed to synchronize his eye pattern with his grip action, stroke rhythm and tempo, enabling him to hit the cue ball "sweetly", which translates to being able to get a lot of reaction from the cue ball with minimal effort. When a player is under pressure, stroke tempo is usually one of the first cueing mechanics to go astray, leading to a missed pot.

Not surprisingly, Efren and Ronnie are two of the best players when it comes to cueing through the ball, which means a greater variety of shots available to them. Just look at Ronnie and his effortless deep screw shots, and Efren's extreme English shots.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post O'SulliReyes! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

The stroke tempo is, in my opinion, of the most essential components of a good cue action. The best players usually, if not always, have a unique stroke rhythm which they execute at a certain speed or tempo. Everyone has an ideal stroke tempo--deviate from this tempo and you would most likely miss the pot.

Look at Efren Reyes or Ronnie O'Sullivan for instance. Their practice strokes have a unique 'choreography' and are always at a certain tempo. Efren's practice strokes looks as if he's "playing the violin" according to Billy Incardona, while Ronnie's looks like that of "a top darts player setting up for the throw", according to Steve Davis.

Even though their practice strokes may vary slightly depending on the shot, the tempo of the feathering is always the same. A player who is "in the zone" is a player who has managed to synchronize his eye pattern with his grip action, stroke rhythm and tempo, enabling him to hit the cue ball "sweetly", which translates to being able to get a lot of reaction from the cue ball with minimal effort.

Not surprisingly, Efren and Ronnie are two of the best players when it comes to cueing through the ball, which means a greater variety of shots available to them. Just look at Ronnie and his effortless deep screw shots, and Efren's extreme English shots.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is something I've eluded to in several of my fundamental threads. It's an important aspect in becoming a consistent player.

I believe everyone has their own natural rhythm in cueing. I teach counting techniques to players and Base the count tempo around shots that they hit perfectly. Everyone can do it. Video yourself playing and pay attention to shots you hit perfectly. Then count to a rhythm for that shot. Then count in your head when down in practise and Base it around this new tempo. It's amazing how players start hitting shots more consistently like this.

I am also a big fan of hitting as many shots as possible at the same speed, and adjusting tip placement rather than keeping the same tip placement but adjusting stroke speed. This allows you to keep a similar tempo from start to finish and again, promotes consistency in my opinion. It's now always possible, but when it is I elect for this method.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
As mentioned before, smooth transitions are the key. Any jerky, rushed or abrupt changes in speed/tempo will affect tip placement and accuracy a lot.

My stroke is kind of like a spring. On softer shots the transition period is shorter. On shots that require more spin/power the transition is longer.

In regards to the topic about speed control, a technique Hillbilly teaches emphasizes practice strokes being the same speed as the final stroke. Slow strokes for slow speed, faster strokes for faster speeds. He also has each speed mapped out via a diamond system.

Speed is the most difficult aspect of learning cue ball control. It affects the angle and how the spin reacts to the rails. Tips of English and angles off the rail are easier to quantify and visualize than a speed you "feel." If a system requires different cue speeds it requires some amount of feel (your brain recognizing the appropriate speed for what you are trying to achieve.

I don't know anything about SPF, let alone what it stands for but most players can benefit from a speed system early on. Natural talents can use it for when the pressure is on and "intellectual" players can use it to gain feel for speed control.

PoolChump

Banned
You should stay away from this Rick, because you know NOTHING about SPF teaching or training. The OP does. All you're doing is here is posting to badmouth something you know nothing about. If you want to be banned, continue this drive by "attack" style posting and that's what will happen.

Scott Lee

Self promoter. :shakehead::welcome::rotflmao1::rotflmao::bash::nono:

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
huh?

Self promoter. :shakehead::welcome::rotflmao1::rotflmao::bash::nono:

In what way is this particular post self promotion?

So you are telling me that CJ, CTE, OB, Magic Chalk, Gene, etc. can't post anything without being identified as self promoters?

Something doesn't add up here.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From some things I've read on the Internet (so it must be true) humans have a natural cadence like a comfortable walking pace ingrained in their brains.

Should you model your stroke to this cadence? It's around a second back stroke, a second forward stroke. The speed of the shot is controlled by how far you pull back.

A lot of the real good shooters (especially Ed) at RedShoes where I play has this kind rhythm. Some fundamentals instruction I've had (including Scott who is marvelous) don't touch on this.

PoolChump

Banned
In what way is this particular post self promotion?

So you are telling me that CJ, CTE, OB, Magic Chalk, Gene, etc. can't post anything without being identified as self promoters?

Something doesn't add up here.

I guess adding a link back to your own website is not self promoting. My bad.:confused::shakehead::bash::speechless:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Is my phone number self promoting?

Scott paid for a gold membership. If he wants a link to his website on his posts that is his business.

Now do you have anything positive to add?

QUOTE=PoolChump;5547827]I guess adding a link back to your own website is not self promoting. My bad.:confused::shakehead::bash::speechless:[/QUOTE]

PoolChump

Banned
Is my phone number self promoting?

Scott paid for a gold membership. If he wants a link to his website on his posts that is his business.

Now do you have anything positive to add?

QUOTE=PoolChump;5547827]I guess adding a link back to your own website is not self promoting. My bad.:confused::shakehead::bash::speechless:
[/QUOTE]

Yes. I need to start my own pool related business and promote it here. Thanks for the tip. Thought it wasn't allowed. :withstupid::blush::shrug:

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I think the advice offered by the PROFESSIONAL instructors is correct. All important is a smooth acceleration through the finish of your stroke