Thoughts on shot clocks?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
did a quick search and found no topic about it, but what is the general opinion of tournaments(mainly international ones from what I've seen so far) having an instituted shot clock?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it is unfair to both the opponent and the audience to play really, really slowly.

The use of shot clocks when needed are in the WSR regulations.

I favor using chess clocks because they don't require trained personnel. I think a search on "chess clock" will find some previous discussions.

jchance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's a good idea, but difficult to put into practice when you need a referee per table to enforce it properly.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you play slow at our poolroom, you'll have a tough time finding a game. People will make up all kinds of excuses to not play you. It's funny, the people that play slow, don't think they play slow at all. They think folks avoid playing them because they're extremely skilled. No, they avoid playing them because a race to 7 in 9 ball shouldn't take an hour and 15 minutes, especially with nothing bet on the game. One rack of One Pocket should not take over an hour.
They walk slow.
They think slow.
They play slow.
They don't get a game.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I am a fan of expeditious play. Im not fishing for one pocket is so slow lines, but I am of the opinion that one pocket in particular is in need of some kind of clock or clear understanding about pace. While my opponent is shooting, I already know what shot(s) Im gonna take if they miss. its elementary. Understandable that sometimes the tolerances are very tight and you have to be sure of passage and clearance.... but how much checking is necessary?

Waiting a full 3 minutes on your opponent to commit to and take a shot is ridiculous. 45 seconds is WAY plenty time to examine the table, get down on the shot.... get back up... walk around the table scratching your head in a professional concerned-face manner, get back down on the shot and then take it. Everyone will still be impressed with your attention to detail and your obvious mental prowess and care given to each shot even though you are storming the table like Earl Strickland on a 20 inch line of Bolivian marching powder and taking a shot within 45 seconds. Dude chill.... its one pocket.... no one ever finishes a game of one pocket... we all commit to the game and just rot in-place. It's a pact.

Okay... I guess that's about it.

Shot clocks, yes.

Lesh

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you play slow at our poolroom, you'll have a tough time finding a game. People will make up all kinds of excuses to not play you. It's funny, the people that play slow, don't think they play slow at all. They think folks avoid playing them because they're extremely skilled. No, they avoid playing them because a race to 7 in 9 ball shouldn't take an hour and 15 minutes, especially with nothing bet on the game. One rack of One Pocket should not take over an hour.
They walk slow.
They think slow.
They play slow.
They don't get a game.

Yup. They just think they are taking their time when actually they are playing slowly.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I think shot clocks are a good idea. There have been times when players have had far too many drinks in far too short a period that have not only impaired their ability to play well, but also their ability to function in a social environment.
A timer for the consumption of adult beverages could be of benefit. :)

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to have a shot clock in league play with maybe one extension during each game. Personal play, if you are too slow, I will mention it. If it persists, I can find others to play. I would love shot clocks.

al

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
A necessity if pool is ever going to gain traction as a spectator sport. Especially in games like One Pocket that has the most exciting and coolest shots.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I really enjoyed watching Pat Fleming's Make It Happen.

The one minute shot clock was a big factor in that enjoyment.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it's a good idea, but difficult to put into practice when you need a referee per table to enforce it properly.
If you use a chess clock you don't need an official at the table.

Pacecar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the typical penalty for a shot clock expiration (and no shot was made)?
And what if the shooter stays down and completes the shot several seconds after the clock expiration?
Can the referee interfere with the shooter once the shot clock has expired?
Thanks.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I favor using chess clocks because they don't require trained personnel. I think a search on "chess clock" will find some previous discussions.

I've seen you mention this before but I don't think I've seen you talk about exactly how it's implemented. It's different from the typical (e.g., Mosconi Cup) shot clock, which is familiar to most of us. The idea of saving up time when you have an easy shot for the harder shots really does make a lot of sense, but I'm not sure what happens when you run out of time.

How much time per game (8-ball, 9-ball)?
What happens if you run out of time - foul and then the clock resets? So you can only get one time foul per game?
Are there any extensions like in other pool shot clock matches?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chess clocks might not work in a well-played safety struggle. In that case we really need an individual shot clock.

Modern chess clocks allow a grace period (for example, 30 seconds) at the start of each turn. If you are reasonably prompt in your safety play, you use no time at all in a long safety exchange.