Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page To Sanction or Not to Sanction?
View Poll Results: To keep or not to keep Sanctions?
Keep Sanctions in Place 3 75.00%
Relax Sanctions 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
To Sanction or Not to Sanction?
Old
  (#1)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

To Sanction or Not to Sanction? - 01-16-2019, 07:43 AM

To sanction or not to sanction. That is the question. Poll above. It is confidential and has no ending date.

Some in GOP split with White House on Russia sanctions
Associated Press
MARY CLARE JALONICK and MARIA DANILOVA
,Associated Press•January 15, 2019

WASHINGTON (AP) — Almost a dozen Senate Republicans broke with the White House Tuesday on Russia, voting to move forward on a resolution that would maintain sanctions on companies linked to oligarch Oleg Deripaska.

The Democratic resolution would stop the Treasury Department from lifting penalties against the Russian aluminum manufacturing giant Rusal and two other companies connected to Deripaska. Senators took two procedural votes to proceed to the resolution, with 11 Republicans voting with Democrats.

While Democrats are unlikely to get the 60 votes they will eventually need to pass the resolution, the strong GOP showing — which came hours after Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin came to Capitol Hill and urged Republicans to vote against the resolution — is yet another signal that Senate Republicans are willing to oppose the White House and President Donald Trump on national security matters.

"I'll vote to disapprove Treasury's easing of sanctions on Russian businesses involving oligarch & Putin ally Oleg Deripaska," Republican Sen. Susan Collins tweeted after the vote. "He still would maintain significant control given his ties to (Russian President Vladimir) Putin. Easing the sanctions sends the wrong message to Russia & to Deripaska."

At issue is a December announcement from the Treasury Department that the U.S. would lift sanctions on the three companies — Rusal, EN+ Group and the Russian power company JSC EuroSibEnergo. EN+ Group is a holding company that owns nearly 50 percent of Rusal.

The Treasury Department says the Russian companies have committed to separating from Deripaska, who will remain blacklisted as part of an array of measures announced in early April that targeted tycoons close to the Kremlin. Treasury maintains that the companies have committed to diminish Deripaska's ownership and sever his control. In a statement last week, Mnuchin said Deripaska remains under sanctions, "his property and interests remain blocked, and any companies he controls are also sanctioned."

Treasury has warned that the sanctions could upset global aluminum markets or even prompt the Russian government to nationalize the company, thus shutting it out from any outside control.

Mnuchin said after his closed-door meeting with Republican senators that the sanctions "shouldn't be a political issue." Echoing Trump, Mnuchin said, "we have been tougher on Russia with more sanctions than any other administration."

But 11 Republicans still voted to move forward on the resolution, which was sponsored by Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer.

The vote came less than a month after a similar scenario played out in votes to end U.S. assistance to Saudi Arabia for the war in Yemen and blame Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. While the Trump administration sent Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary James Mattis to Capitol Hill to encourage Republicans to continue the U.S. assistance, several Republicans defected, angered by what they said was Trump's lackluster response to Khashoggi's killing.

The two measures were never considered by the House and expired at the end of the congressional session.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell encouraged Republicans on Tuesday to vote against the sanctions resolution, noting that Deripaska's influence over the companies would be limited and calling the vote a "Democratic stunt."

McConnell said Republicans are "hardly strangers" to the need for strong policies on Russia. He added that they have "long seen Vladimir Putin for the KGB thug that he is," referencing the former Russian secret police and intelligence agency.

Schumer said that if senators agree with McConnell that Putin is a thug, "they'll vote yes" on the resolution.

"We're only a few Republican votes short of the U.S. Senate telling Putin he can't run the show no matter what President Trump and his administration try to do," he said.

The Senate is expected to hold another procedural vote to move forward on the resolution Wednesday, and this time supporters will need 60 votes. If Tuesday's tallies are any indication, they will be just short — 57 senators voted in support of proceeding to the resolution.

The House could also hold a vote soon, as Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., has introduced a similar resolution to Schumer's. Congress has 30 days from the Dec. 19 announcement to block the sanctions decision.

Last week, House Democratic chairmen from seven committees called Mnuchin in for a classified briefing on the easing of the sanctions. But many Democrats left frustrated, with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi saying she was "unimpressed."

In a letter asking Mnuchin for a briefing, the committee chairmen said the sanctions deal appears to allow Deripaska to keep "significant ownership" of one of the companies. They did not elaborate.

Democrats have asked for an extension of the 30-day timeline because the sanctions announcement came just before a holiday recess and the start of the government shutdown. Mnuchin said after his Senate meeting that Treasury will see how the Senate vote goes.

"Our view is that we have great responsibility in managing the sanctions programs all over the world, and we take those responsibilities very seriously at Treasury," Mnuchin said.

In addition to Collins, of Maine, the Republican senators voting with Democrats were John Boozman of Arkansas, Tom Cotton of Arkansas, Steve Daines of Montana, Cory Gardner of Colorado, John Kennedy of Louisiana, Martha McSally of Arizona, Josh Hawley of Missouri, Marco Rubio of Florida, Ben Sasse of Nebraska and Jerry Moran of Kansas.

762 reactions

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $3.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Last edited by 336Robin; 01-16-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Schumer to Force Vote on Sanctions
Old
  (#2)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

Schumer to Force Vote on Sanctions - 01-17-2019, 08:52 AM

Looks like Chuck Schumer is going to force a vote to enforce the sanctions on companies connected to Deripaska. What's that going to tell us?

https://news.yahoo.com/schumer-force...033146794.html

336Robin

Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#3)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-17-2019, 09:43 AM

I think we should ask for money, it worked for Hillary. Weird, how this Putin guy is s horrible ( and he is a ruthless dictator) but then he warmed up to Hillary and sent her a big chunk of money, millions actually.

Nobody has yet to explain that. Weird, not even a made up, bull shit answer you saw on MSM or yahoo. He just gave millions out of the goodness of his heart. What a swell guy. I guess when he's not poisoning his enemies, he reads to the blind on the weekends.

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#4)
c-money
AzB Silver Member
c-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
I think we should ask for money, it worked for Hillary. Weird, how this Putin guy is s horrible ( and he is a ruthless dictator) but then he warmed up to Hillary and sent her a big chunk of money, millions actually.

Nobody has yet to explain that. Weird, not even a made up, bull shit answer you saw on MSM or yahoo. He just gave millions out of the goodness of his heart. What a swell guy. I guess when he's not poisoning his enemies, he reads to the blind on the weekends.
Couldn't find your story but did find this which is much different.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...lion-donation/

Old
  (#5)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-money View Post
Couldn't find your story but did find this which is much different.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...lion-donation/
Nah, I don't read bs stuff on internet sites. Never even heard this. But, good to know they did send some money, not $400M, but they sent hundreds of thousands.

I'm referring to Clinton Foundation taking huge donations from companies tied to Putin. That's a fact, and it's not in dispute. What's in dispute is why Putin et al would donate tens of millions to Hillary CLinton's charity, the sitting Sec of State?

I mean, is this what ruthless dictators do? And we all know it was just a big coincidence that Hillary voted exactly how Putin would have wanted. I mean, how lucky is this Putin guy?

and when Hillary left as S of State, she never got another dime from the Russians, and Bill CLinton was never hired to givfe another speech in Moscow ever again. Weird how unlucky some folks can me.... just a shame really.

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#6)
Slide Rule
NPR Commies Garbage Skum
Slide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2019, 11:40 AM

Trump should decide based on the information he has.

I know it is a problem lining up against an adversary on
every issue. You can find yourself on the wrong side.

Advice a manager gave me long ago.

Still it seems that Chucky has the ability to always
choose the precisely wrong avenues.

Former Head of RNC says its all Collusion!
Old
  (#7)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com

Former Head of RNC says its all Collusion! - 01-17-2019, 04:30 PM

It's all Collusion! https://www.yahoo.com/news/ex-rnc-ch...055126870.html

Ex-RNC Chair Puts Trump-Supporting Senators On Notice: 'It's All Collusion'
HuffPost Ed Mazza,HuffPost 17 hours ago
Reactions Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email
Michael Steele, former chair of the Republican National Committee, fired off a warning to Republican lawmakers supporting President Donald Trump’s Russia agenda.

On Wednesday, GOP senators blocked a move to maintain sanctions against companies linked to Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, a close ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Steele said on MSNBC that the lawmakers were “circling the wagons” to help Trump.

Host Ari Melber called it “potentially collusion-y.”

Steele quickly corrected him.

“It’s all collusion,” he said:

“It’s all collusion because in my estimation, if you’re taking these steps given the information, the facts, as we now see them being laid out and you’re going to slow the roll, legislatively, then you’re now a part of this narrative just as much as anybody else is as far as I’m concerned. Particularly when these guys have the evidence. They have more information than you do sitting here, and you’ve got a lot.”
Steele added that to some Republican lawmakers, “the most important thing is to give cover to this president.”

In a separate segment about the government shutdown, above, Steele also said Trump has “met his match” in House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) after she asked to postpone the State of the Union address because of the shutdown.

“He doesn’t know what to do with this woman. He has no idea,” Steele said. “That’s why he’s sitting in the White House frustrated, because she’s not biting on the kernels of crazy he’s putting out there.”

Watch his full comments in the video above.

336Robin

Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#8)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member
tom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Hey, RJ, is Putin really a bad guy?

Gosh, let me think! But, but ,but Hillary! But, but, but, Hillary!

God bless each and every one of you

Old
  (#9)
c-money
AzB Silver Member
c-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond reputec-money has a reputation beyond repute

01-18-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Nah, I don't read bs stuff on internet sites. Never even heard this. But, good to know they did send some money, not $400M, but they sent hundreds of thousands.

I'm referring to Clinton Foundation taking huge donations from companies tied to Putin. That's a fact, and it's not in dispute. What's in dispute is why Putin et al would donate tens of millions to Hillary CLinton's charity, the sitting Sec of State?

I mean, is this what ruthless dictators do? And we all know it was just a big coincidence that Hillary voted exactly how Putin would have wanted. I mean, how lucky is this Putin guy?

and when Hillary left as S of State, she never got another dime from the Russians, and Bill CLinton was never hired to givfe another speech in Moscow ever again. Weird how unlucky some folks can me.... just a shame really.
Just clarify a couple things.

Of the $145 million allegedly contributed to the Clinton Foundation by Uranium One investors, the lion’s share — $131.3 million — came from a single donor, Frank Giustra, the company’s Canadian founder.

But Giustra sold off his entire stake in the company in 2007, three years before the Russia deal and at least 18 months before Clinton became secretary of state.

Of the remaining individuals connected with Uranium One who donated to the Clinton Foundation, only one was found to have contributed during the same time frame that the deal was taking place, according to The New York Times — Ian Telfer (also a Canadian), the company’s chairman:

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: