Nine ball rules question

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You were playing nine ball the three ball is on the table you do not realize it
you shoot the four ball and make it a
Your opponent does not say anything
you shoot the five ball and miss opponent says wait you had to shoot the three ball
what happens then

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am pretty sure if you miss a foul and neither player notices till next shot, you can't call the foul then. If you missed the 5 and 3 is on the table, the opponent would be shooting the 3 now but would not be ball in hand.

Of course this depends on who is playing and what they decide. If I was a ref and someone came to be with this situation, that is the ruling I would give. Since the opponent snoozed and the player, hopefully honestly, missed the foul also, after a few other balls were shot, too late to back-track. If the player missed the shot, or if they noticed the ball was still on the table, I would say it's it opponents shot, but not a foul.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since you don’t reference a rule set, I will tell you what we do. Balls stay down and BIH for the incoming player. We never spot balls 1-8.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BIH, shot the 5b when the 3b was still the lowest number ball on the table.

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BIH, shot the 5b when the 3b was still the lowest number ball on the table.

Yup!
If he had incorrectly shot the 4 ball down and the other player said nothing, and then he went back to the 3 ball and shot it down or even missed it, the other player would have lost his chance to call anything I think?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Without a ref the 4 ball is water under the bridge. You called him on shooting at the 5 (missing hitting the 3 first) so ball in hand for the opponent to go at the 3.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
you shoot the five ball and miss opponent says wait you had to shoot the three ball
what happens then

Circa "back in the day", BIH on the 3. No idea how it would be played now. Probably depends where and tourney or not.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Majority seem to be in agreement that the four is history and now it is BIH on the three.

Thats how we played it
I wasn’t sure if I forfeited the game since i shot two balls illegally
Thanks for the help guys....:thumbup::thumbup:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Majority seem to be in agreement that the four is history and now it is BIH on the three.
I agree with most on this one, but what if the player continues running out a number of additional balls (with the 3-ball still remaining on the table) before the opponent finally calls him for shooting at the wrong ball? Kind of a sorry thing to do, but would make it much either for that player calling to the foul to have less balls to run out to win the game.

I would say if at any point after the second wrong ball is pocketed and the shooter realizes his mistake and then lines up to shoot at the 3-ball, by that point it should be too late for his opponent to call a foul on him. That is the risk he takes by not calling the foul on his opponent when he should have done so.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I agree with most on this one, but what if the player continues running out a number of additional balls (with the 3-ball still remaining on the table) before the opponent finally calls him for shooting at the wrong ball? Kind of a sorry thing to do, but would make it much either for that player calling to the foul to have less balls to run out to win the game.

I would say if at any point after the second wrong ball is pocketed and the shooter realizes his mistake and then lines up to shoot at the 3-ball, by that point it should be too late for his opponent to call a foul on him. That is the risk he takes by not calling the foul on his opponent when he should have done so.

Could two players be that obtuse? How about after he pockets the eight with great shape on the nine and then notices the three is still on the table??? I would suggest both players get a deck of cards and play Go Fish! ;)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Both players should try to make sure that the rules are applied as completely and accurately at all times as possible. To play otherwise is unsportsmanlike conduct -- by common sense if not by the letter of the rules. If you're not going have rules, you may as well do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9KBOhPXhds

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
Could two players be that obtuse? How about after he pockets the eight with great shape on the nine and then notices the three is still on the table??? I would suggest both players get a deck of cards and play Go Fish! ;)

Sh!t happens, maybe the player in the chair went to the bar and said keep shooting and when got back realized the foul.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
never seen it

I have played all my life and have never seen anyone deliberately snooze a ball in hand foul in an attempt to let their opponent change the table layout.

Even if someone would attempt this, would it really be worth the risk of getting into a weird rules dispute when you could just take ball in hand on the 3 ball? I mean, I could see a guy who ran the entire table arguing for a re-rack or something. The rules might be on your side, but anytime you involve a ref or have to win an argument who knows what the outcome would be? I'd rather take my chances with ball in hand.

That said, personally I wouldn't have a problem with my opponent deliberately snoozing the first few fouls on me. As far as I'm concerned I deserve to lose once I make a mistake of that magnitude.

In the end though I've never seen it and don't expect I ever will.

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
I have played all my life and have never seen anyone deliberately snooze a ball in hand foul in an attempt to let their opponent change the table layout.

Even if someone would attempt this, would it really be worth the risk of getting into a weird rules dispute when you could just take ball in hand on the 3 ball? I mean, I could see a guy who ran the entire table arguing for a re-rack or something. The rules might be on your side, but anytime you involve a ref or have to win an argument who knows what the outcome would be? I'd rather take my chances with ball in hand.

That said, personally I wouldn't have a problem with my opponent deliberately snoozing the first few fouls on me. As far as I'm concerned I deserve to lose once I make a mistake of that magnitude.

In the end though I've never seen it and don't expect I ever will.

Refer to my previous post

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sh!t happens, maybe the player in the chair went to the bar and said keep shooting and when got back realized the foul.

Then he gets what he deserves. How can he "realize" anything he wasn't there to see? I just caromed or "slopped" a few balls in. The FIRST thing to learn in pool or anything else is to pay attention and watch the game you are in if it is for anything other than just biffing at balls.
I learned that the hard way early on, in a local tournament. I can still remember it like it was yesterday and it was back in the early 80's. I never forgot that lesson. Good thing too!! Stupid moments SHOULD haunt you!

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
what happens then

The foul slipped by on the 4. Another foul was committed when the opponent shot the 5 with the 3 still on the table. It doesn't matter that the first foul wasn't called or noticed, for whatever reason, but a foul was noticed and called when the guy shot the 5. That's ball in hand.