Custom Gold Crown Light

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Work begun this week on (2) custom Gold Crown lights for myself and AZB member "pocket" who scored the brother to my table. Anyway, my father in law has a full blown wood working shop and is assisting me with this project. We started with making the end pieces and have the rough shape including the compound miter ends. Next up is to get the rough shape of the sides, then fabricate the joint mechanism to join the corners. Once the basic "box" is assembled, we can sculpt the rounded corners then disassemble and route the bottoms for the finished edge. After all the ends and sides are finished, we will make the diffuser panel and top. Here are some pics of our progress thus far.

Miter detail:
48834456123_64c2f5c10d_z.jpg

Rectangle boards miter cuts:
48834825936_a361c16df2_z.jpg

Shaped showing miter cuts:
48834826041_a2f4f9106d_z.jpg

Set of shaped end pieces:
48834456318_14a00679d5_z.jpg

Last edited:

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice. Can't wait to see the finished product. Also there's more pride in it when you had a hand in making it.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice work! :thumbup:

The wood looks like poplar, so I'm guessing these lights will be painted. I love custom items like this, because you can tailor them to fit your needs. I made custom Gold Crown cue rack a while back, because I needed it to fit in a specific area of the room.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice work! :thumbup:

The wood looks like poplar, so I'm guessing these lights will be painted. I love custom items like this, because you can tailor them to fit your needs. I made custom Gold Crown cue rack a while back, because I needed it to fit in a specific area of the room.

Thanks! Yes, painted.

Any pics of the cue rack?

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue rack I made is similar to the one that Brunswick sells (click here) only not as big, so it would fit in a specific spot in the room.

medium.jpg

(Wow...this web site really screwed up the quality of my picture. :confused: )

Anyway, I didn't get the skirt board profile quite right, but it holds the cues OK, so I guess that's all that really matters. :grin:

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue rack I made is similar to the one that Brunswick sells (click here) only not as big, so it would fit in a specific spot in the room.

medium.jpg

Anyway, I didn't get the skirt board profile quite right, but it holds the cues OK, so I guess that's all that really matters. :grin:

Looks good to me!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

medium.jpg

Looks good! Thanks for sharing.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Small Update...

I fabricated the corner brackets out of 1"x1" 90 degree aluminum stock. These will hold the sides together at the corners.

48847662823_5b3fed87d1_z.jpg

Last edited:

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Must be nice to have access to new aluminum as well. This just isn't fair in any way, shape or form! :(

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice! Like the matching old style look... hope the inside is going to be LED!

td

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice! Like the matching old style look... hope the inside is going to be LED!

td

Thanks. I haven't decided on a light source but i am leaning toward fluorescent. My old light was fluorescent and I was very pleased with the color and temp of the lighting and I've got a bunch of bulbs left over. I'm aware of the benefits of LED but I don't know if I'm up for experimenting. If i throw a couple of panels in there and I don't like the color or temp, I'll have to disassemble the light to R&R the panels. Once this thing is assembled, I have to intention of taking it apart..

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a box! Gotta profile the long sides, quarter round the bottoms, profile the corners, make the diffuser panel and cut the lid. We should finish up this coming week.

48881909097_96603c6fa9_c.jpg

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think, you might be better satisfied, with some LEDs about 5000 temperature...

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leaning toward LED Bulbs: 5000K, 2200 Lumens, 94 CRI.

Glad you are leaning this way.... would have loved to have this option when my table was set up... as it is, it's on the 'to do' list.... waaay down there.

td

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I think, you might be better satisfied, with some LEDs about 5000 temperature...

Leaning toward LED Bulbs: 5000K, 2200 Lumens, 94 CRI.

Way too Blue.
Your brain adjusts to make you think it is a good color but in reality that Color Temp is harsh on the eyes.

Compare “Daylight” to “Cool White” lamps at Home Depot.

Why do think offices use “Cool White” 3800k and not “Daylight” 5000k.

BTW...it is cheaper to manufacture 5000k LED’s than other temps.
That is why you see so many LED lamps in that Temp range.

There are many articles on how harmful cheap LED’s are.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-05-eyes-health-authority.html
https://www.wxyz.com/news/can-led-lights-damage-your-eyes-new-report-says-they-might
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/16/health/blue-light-led-health-effects-bn-trnd/index.html

Last edited: