Texas Ebony

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone used Texas Ebony in cues? What are the thoughts on it?
I know Eric has a some, from the pics he has posted.
I'm live in Houston and have a pretty good line on a bunch of Ebony in south Texas. I'm not a cue maker, just a wood junky! But, I like the looks of the wood and thought it would be cool to have a nice stash of Texas Ebony, for future cue projects. It won't cost much, if anything, as I will just trade some of the logs I have of Black Walnut, White Oak, Spalted Pecan, which are very plentiful where I'm at, and I have tons of it stored away.
Anyways, what are y'all's thoughts on the wood?

Thanks for the input!
JCM

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
It's as close to an exotic as we we have in the states. It rivals African blackwood in almost every way except color. The color ranges from medium brown to near black, always with a bronze undertone/chatoyance. Like any wood, sometimes it has wavy, interesting grain & sometimes not. I'm making a cue with it now. It's Tx ebony front/butt with purpleheart handle. It's not ready for pics yet but when it is I'll sure show it to you. I have made several cues with the wood going back to I think 2003 or 2004, and all have been very nice.

edit: I'm interested in some when you get it :)

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used Texas Ebony in several cues. It is a great wood for cues, not only for looks but also for good playing qualities. The pieces I had were a nice warm chocolate color. I love it.

I have one piece left and am considering making a cue for myself. If you want to call me selfish, go ahead!

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used Texas Ebony in several cues. It is a great wood for cues, not only for looks but also for good playing qualities. The pieces I had were a nice warm chocolate color. I love it.

I have one piece left and am considering making a cue for myself. If you want to call me selfish, go ahead!

Hell, you are in Junction! I'm getting the wood from the valley. Should be some growing around you... that's about all there is in junction, deer, the llano, mesquite, bunch or shrubs with thorns and maybe a little Ebony.

I'm still on the hunt for people with leases in the valley area, much easier to go cut my own wood than pay them for it.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell, you are in Junction! I'm getting the wood from the valley. Should be some growing around you... that's about all there is in junction, deer, the llano, mesquite, bunch or shrubs with thorns and maybe a little Ebony.

I'm still on the hunt for people with leases in the valley area, much easier to go cut my own wood than pay them for it.

No ebony in the Hill Country that I know about. Plenty of mesquite and cedar.

Another wood on the Coast you might like is huisache. See lots of it round Rosenberg, Damon, Needville even towards Columbus. Nice red color for heartwood.

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No ebony in the Hill Country that I know about. Plenty of mesquite and cedar.

Another wood on the Coast you might like is huisache. See lots of it round Rosenberg, Damon, Needville even towards Columbus. Nice red color for heartwood.

Never heard of it before, looks interesting. Thanks for the suggestion, always on the look out for cool wood!

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member

I cut some burly stuff down near Del Rio. Had high hopes for it but once inside it was cracked too much to get any usable pieces from. I also cut some big mesquites, got quite a bit of great wood from them. I turned a lot of it into squares but most of it into lumber. I couldn't find any ebony, although I'm sure there has to be some in that region.