How Bad did I just screw myself?

cowboyup200560

Always lookin......
Silver Member
So, first off, I am about 4 months back off a 6 year retirement from the game. I before i was what i would call a mediocre player, maybe break and run a rack of 9 ball once a month, 8 ball i could run out more often but usually wasnt running the pattern the right way.

So, now that I'm back, I've been working to get my game back at least where it was. I am finding that I am actually playing a ball or 2 better than when i quit.

Now for the point of my post

I had finally got to the point where my break has been working well, especially playing 10 ball. I've been using a fairly cheap ebay special playing cue to break with, planing on having a break tip put on. Now that I have done so, how bd do you guys think i screwed up? Kind of worried i should have left things alone as they were working well for me.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A break tip is a great idea on your break cue. It’s the defining trait of a break cue.

But if you’re planning on playing with it too as your only cue, then yeah, you screwed yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cowboyup200560

Always lookin......
Silver Member
break tip

oh dear lord no, my player is my ebony nosed bender. i may be dumb but not that dumb lol. Although i did use to do that back as a kid hustling drinks i the bars. Guys would complain about me beating them all night so i would offer to shoot with my breaker as a "spot". A white diamond plays pretty sporty as long as you dont try to juice whitey too much.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think you screwed up. For me I like a vice squeezed water buffalo tip....hard but not crazy hard. I used to miscue to much with the special "break cue tips."

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
You can't be afraid to try something new. Most Pros out there or most of
them has a break cue with a phenolic tip of some kind and they've learned to play
with it. If you really want to go regular tip for your breaker, get one out of the rack and
use your new break tip as a jumper. Phenolic jumps a lot easier. You can always just
slow your break speed down since the phenolic delivers more punch.

So, first off, I am about 4 months back off a 6 year retirement from the game. I before i was what i would call a mediocre player, maybe break and run a rack of 9 ball once a month, 8 ball i could run out more often but usually wasnt running the pattern the right way.

So, now that I'm back, I've been working to get my game back at least where it was. I am finding that I am actually playing a ball or 2 better than when i quit.

I had finally got to the point where my break has been working well, especially playing 10 ball. I've been using a fairly cheap ebay special playing cue to break with, planing on having a break tip put on. Now that I have done so, how bd do you guys think i screwed up? Kind of worried i should have left things alone as they were working well for me.

cowboyup200560

Always lookin......
Silver Member
You can't be afraid to try something new. Most Pros out there or most of
them has a break cue with a phenolic tip of some kind and they've learned to play
with it. If you really want to go regular tip for your breaker, get one out of the rack and
use your new break tip as a jumper. Phenolic jumps a lot easier. You can always just
slow your break speed down since the phenolic delivers more punch.

Yea, its one of those things i kind of feel like if it wasnt broke i shouldnt have tried to fix it lol

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Yea, its one of those things i kind of feel like if it wasnt broke i shouldnt have tried to fix it lol

I understand that. A few weeks ago I decided to go back to a really simple 8
ball break I used to use on a bar box when I was a kid. I just let the cue ball follow
through the rack, hit the bottom rail and come back to the middle of the table if it
doesn't hit another ball. So far I've made at least one ball on the break every time and
I've successfully run several balls if not run out or his my opponent and have lost very
few games in 8 ball.

I went years before getting in an 8 ball league and rediscovering something that worked
for me and it seems to work just as well with a house cue! So...who knows!

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
That is equal to shaving off your beard during playoffs...you shouldn’t have done it. Good luck, I hope you are able to recover.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As one who has a break and run a couple times a mont, how bad a screw up could you screw up with a change to the break?

Was the change positive or negative? The answer will come to you only...in time.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cousin Elroy McFaddon did that and it ruined his game. He had to quit pool and became a Sherpa - and he was afraid of heights. Sad story.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My cousin Elroy McFaddon did that and it ruined his game. He had to quit pool and became a Sherpa - and he was afraid of heights. Sad story.
If there is any chance I could get one of those neat hats from his estate I would be forever in your debt, sir. Please PM me with details.

sherpa.jpg

Bob <-- also afraid of heights and doesn't want people to suspect

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Either adjust to what you have or start trying other tips or maybe it's time for a dedicated break cue.

The break shot is the most important shot so why start off with subpar equipment, then finish with quality equipment?

It's your game and only you know what it's worth to you.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That hat is the most fkd up looking thing anyone could wear.
Normally only people who are really high wear one, like thousands of meters. I don't think the people around them think they're weird.:angry:

And they keep your ears warm.:smile:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
But to answer the OP directly, until your game gets to the point that you can run at least one rack in 20, the break makes no difference to your game. Use your playing cue, break at a lower speed, and learn to control the cue ball on the break. When you get to the point where you run a couple of racks a night, start worrying about your break cue.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But to answer the OP directly, until your game gets to the point that you can run at least one rack in 20, the break makes no difference to your game. Use your playing cue, break at a lower speed, and learn to control the cue ball on the break. When you get to the point where you run a couple of racks a night, start worrying about your break cue.

Good point.....

At the same time, lol ..... I know lots of people that carry 4 to 6 cues at all times and most of them do good to run 5 or 6 balls before getting out of line.

Somebody has to buy all those cues.....

Rake