Has anyone tried the McDermott Defy?

OhioNuke

Registered
Got my McDermott Defy CF shaft

Got my Defy CF shaft with Uni-Loc yesterday. Happened to find a company that got one in that day. Haven't played it yet, but hope to tonight. Will post feedback.

FYI, my wife got the Meucci CF shaft a few months ago, and IMHO it is exceptional. I was going to buy one until I learned about the Defy. My understanding is it's the first solid core CF shaft. I started out with McDermotts (a custom made Cobra prototype), but switched to a Lucasi Hybrid.

Weber

Registered
Got my Defy CF shaft with Uni-Loc yesterday. Happened to find a company that got one in that day. Haven't played it yet, but hope to tonight. Will post feedback.

FYI, my wife got the Meucci CF shaft a few months ago, and IMHO it is exceptional. I was going to buy one until I learned about the Defy. My understanding is it's the first solid core CF shaft. I started out with McDermotts (a custom made Cobra prototype), but switched to a Lucasi Hybrid.

Where did you find one in stock? I’m looking to pick a couple more up, but need a 12mm in the McDermott qc joint.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to try one a few weeks ago...., I have had several CF shafts before settling on my Cynergy. I will say it’s got a great hit. If I had tried it before my Cuetec. I probably would have bought one. Very crisp and firm hit. I have to give McDermott Props. They did a great job with this one.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Total crap. It dampens down the energy of the cue ball. I played with it for about an hour and half and was worn out and changed back
to my Jacoby Hybrids and decided not to buy the used one being offered by the original buyer. If you over hit the ball too much maybe but hits like a wet 2 x 4.

More accurately I call it the Deny rather than Defy. It controls your cue ball travel distance by subtraction. You'll have to learn to over hit the shot.

Funny how your report is so opposite of the others?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why is it funny? People like different things. A lot of people like the cuetec . I thought it felt like cheap junk like all cuetec cue’s lol but to each his own.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is it funny? People like different things. A lot of people like the cuetec . I thought it felt like cheap junk like all cuetec cue’s lol but to each his own.

I wasnt inferring he had to like it. Others said crisp hit and very lively. He said dead hit,had to power the ball around. To me those are totally opposite reviews.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasnt inferring he had to like it. Others said crisp hit and very lively. He said dead hit,had to power the ball around. To me those are totally opposite reviews.

Yep .. that happens with cue sticks. There are cues out there that people rave about an I don’t get it lol

OhioNuke

Registered
Where did you find one in stock? I’m looking to pick a couple more up, but need a 12mm in the McDermott qc joint.

Got mine from BilliardsWarehouse.com, but they said it was the only one they had. The people at McDermott told me a couple of weeks ago that a place called Uncle Waldo’s in Daytona Beach had some. I know nothing about them.

Didn't to place last night. Hopefully tomorrow night.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

I played with it several times the last during One Pocket so I don't think I was
unfair. In fact other people told me that dampening down the vibration is part of the
reason it was constructed the way it is. Unfortunately it dampens too much for me.

OhioNuke

Registered
First impressions of the McDermott Defy Carbon Fiber shaft

So I got to play a few games with my new McDermott Defy 30" Carbon Fiber shaft (12.5mm) on my Lucasi Hybrid butt (uniloc). No chance for much practice, just a few warm up shots then in a 9 ball tourney.

I'm not an advanced player and don't have any experience with Predator Revo. I've played with my wife's carbon fiber Meucci and loved it. As background, I'm switching from the Lucasi composite wood low deflection shaft (13mm). It's going to take some getting used to...but my first impression is WOW.

I need to spend some time measuring the deflection, but it honestly seems like with most mid power shots it has no deflection. It feels very natural...I don't sense any over dampening or deadness at all.

What's interesting is when I chalk it, the shaft appears a bit whippy...flexing a bit in my hands, I guess that's some part of how it offers such low deflection. The spin I can create is incredible but that may be more associated with the smaller tip.

The surface of the shaft is a bit different from the Meucci. The Defy has more of a satin finish, but with or without a glove it slide perfectly. Not that it matters, but it looks awesome.

Will provide more feedback as I get more time with it.

Weber

Registered
So I got to play a few games with my new McDermott Defy 30" Carbon Fiber shaft (12.5mm) on my Lucasi Hybrid butt (uniloc). No chance for much practice, just a few warm up shots then in a 9 ball tourney.

I'm not an advanced player and don't have any experience with Predator Revo. I've played with my wife's carbon fiber Meucci and loved it. As background, I'm switching from the Lucasi composite wood low deflection shaft (13mm). It's going to take some getting used to...but my first impression is WOW.

I need to spend some time measuring the deflection, but it honestly seems like with most mid power shots it has no deflection. It feels very natural...I don't sense any over dampening or deadness at all.

What's interesting is when I chalk it, the shaft appears a bit whippy...flexing a bit in my hands, I guess that's some part of how it offers such low deflection. The spin I can create is incredible but that may be more associated with the smaller tip.

The surface of the shaft is a bit different from the Meucci. The Defy has more of a satin finish, but with or without a glove it slide perfectly. Not that it matters, but it looks awesome.

Will provide more feedback as I get more time with it.

The finish on the shaft wears in, meaning over time it gets smoother. Make sure you don’t use powder, and use the shaft cleaner.

OhioNuke

Registered
The finish on the shaft wears in, meaning over time it gets smoother. Make sure you don’t use powder, and use the shaft cleaner.

Thanks. It's not really an issue anyway. But I do need to wipe it off more frequently.

I still haven't had a lot of playing time with it, but I did try measuring it's deflection characteristics at different shot strengths (using the technique Dr. Dave promotes). Was very impressed.

Another guy tried hitting a few shots....he had trouble getting past the 'grainy' surface, but admitted he liked the way it hit.

Weber

Registered
Finally received my second defy shaft with the McDermott quick connect joint. Played with it last night and just like my other one it plays great!

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to hit with one yesterday.
Traded for a hour with a buddy, and let him hit with my (all wood) Gallegos custom cue.
I don't own a carbon shaft, so when I come across different brands, it's a must for me to try it out
and see what's going on in the future of billiards equipment.
They're horrible. It was on a really nice older McDermott butt too. One that played nicely with it's original wooden shaft.
The Defy belongs in a coffin. Absolutely dead.
No feeling at all.
Saying the hit is "soft" is an understatement.
Other than seeing the ball move, you can't even tell if you hit the ball it's so dull.
The hit is so muted it honestly felt like a rolled up phone book with a dress shoe
taped on the end as a tip.
In all seriousness, they feel like you're shooting with the bumper end of your cue.
I've now hit with every major brand name of carbon shaft, except for the becue.
My favorite thus far has been the Cynergy by Cuetech. It plays like the nicest wood shaft I own.
This Defy is in a class of it's own.
That's not meant as a compliment.

billzhiyee

Just got mine 3 days ago. Ive been playing for 2 yrs and have improved greatly with first a star maple then a mcdermott i2. I was worried about some of the bad reviews of dull hits. I actually got that hit the first few times i hit. But i realized that due to different feel my stroke was not solid and thats why i got bad hits or aim. After about 4 hrs of play i got used to the feel and my natural stroke is back. But the funny thing is the cue feels a lot more consistent.... or i am focused on more consistent stroke with it. Not sure which. But as of right now it seems that the weight distrubution of the carbon fiber allows for a more consistent smooth stroke.

All in all im very happy with it. The cue does not make the shooter but i will tell u this one is not holding me back at all. If anything i feel a small mental boost. Also, with a good stroke there is no dullness. This is what i was hoping for and i am so far very happy with the purchase.