The truth & who is Bludworth Cues !!

T

texasexpress

I feel compelled to provide the following information concerning Leonard Bludworth and Donald Bludworth.
Leonard Bludworth and I have known; worked with each other and shared many a "poolworld" secret and experience for a quarter of a century.
Leonard has been responsible for having invented "his" ballcleaner; "his" poolcue building equipment including his own proprietary CNC machines; "he" was the founder of the American Cuemakers Association ( ACA ); initiated and used the "Red Dot" as "his" trademark for cues; and, has served in various capacities in many amateur and pro organizations in the past as equipment coordinator and various other duties, etc.
Donald is Leonard's son and learned the art of cuemaking as a result of having worked with Leonard. Some years ago, Donald began a cuemaking business ( with Leonard's blessing and assistance ) and assumed ( with permission ) the "Red Dot" logo and the name "Bludworth Custom Cues" as "his" logo and business name. After a short time, Donald's business began to grow and I approached him to take up the vacant title sponsorship of the National Nine Ball Tour ( the former McDermott Tour ); and for a short stint, Donald provided cues to host sites as the title sponsor.
During that time, Leonard was building cues as "Bludworth Originals".
Donald experienced problems managing the business; vendors and clients and discontinued building cues.
Leonard re-assumed the ( his ) original name and trademark "Red Dot" and continues to build cues today, as he has for at least the last quarter-century.
One must NOT assume that the two ( Leonard and Donald ) are the same ( cuemakers and/or businessmen ) ... they are not.
Donald was in the cuemaking business for a very short time and does not now work with Leonard in the business.
One might ask why I felt compelled to provide this information; I simply wanted to put on the record in this forum ... the same information I have provided to the hundreds of inquiries I have had concerning the subject over the last few years ...
John McChesney
CEO
Texas Express

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks John for clearing the "AIR" so to speak. I am under contract "NOT" to use the famous"RED DOT".
I only sign and date my cues, now.
god bless
blud

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
Blud- It's a shame that you are under contract to "NOT" use the "RED DOT". After all it is "your" creation and what everyone has come to know as a Bludworth cue. I'm glad John McChesney has stepped up and made it known what he knows. Blud, keep up the good work and thanks for EVERYTHING you've done for our amazing cueing sport!

Michael Zimmerman "Zim"
Zim's Rack

Purdman

Banned
Well Blud, it's about time the truth has come out. I have known it for some time now and haven't said anything because it was told to me in private. I also know it is painfull for you to air Donald's dirty laundry. After all, he is your son and despite everything, I know you love him. I know he has cost you thousands of dollars and hurt your reputation as a cue builder, however, there are those of us who know the truth and the fine quality of your cues.
I also know that you have spent a great deal of time and money to try and make things right for all involved. Cue repairs, unpaid bills, lost business , you are still paying for trying to set Donald up.
I wish you all the best and will get another Bludworth cue soon. I have a son too. It is painfull for me to watch him screw up by making the wrong decisions all the time. He is 26 and we will no longer pay his piper. He has cost us thousands of dollars also. It is a real dilemma.
Best of luck, talk to ya soon.
Don

hig3

Registered
Now that everyone is clearing the "AIR" so to speak, this request is for John McChesney. What is the real story of the possible future of the National 9-Ball Tour? Why did it end, and is there any truth to the rumor that it may resurface? I followed your tour whenever I could in the Southeast. I am the Tour Director for the Florida and Carolina Amateur 9-Ball Tours and my biggest roadblock is getting monetary sponsorship. You seemed to do rather well in that area when your tour was going strong. Any suggestions? Please post!!!!!

T

texasexpress

the tour

Answers to your questions:
The tour ended due to lack of industry sponsorship. Because we had such an enormous schedule,i.e., 115-125 events per year .. it took an enormous amount of donated product to support the tour. Additionally, because 99.9% of the events were $3,500.00 added or greater .. the donated amount to supply the poolrooms was tremendous .. as we always attempted to give each room about 125-150% of their monetary donations in return with product .. cues, accessories, etc.
We ran our last National Nine Ball Tour event in May, 2000. McDermott Cue was the title ( McDermott Tour ) from mid-1992 to last of 1996 .. but due to Jim McDermott's retirement and sale/management change at that time .. McDermott decided not to continue the title sponsorship.
Another factor was the ( former ) BCA All-American Tour; which we at Texas Express fought with BCA management about for a ong time ( behaind the scenes ); as numerous things happened at that time; we were BCA voting members and our contention was that it was a conflict of interest for the BCA to run a tour that was in direct competition with ( it's ) members .. and to solicit and pressure BCA members to donate products for their tour, etc. In the end, their tour failed for many reasons.
As far as monetary help .. the industry simply fails miserably in that area .. The BCA would rather add $160,000 to a single event in Vegas ( the Pro event ) and give-away money to inept organizations than to memebrs whose sole purpose ( was ) to promote compeitive pool at the grass-roots level. I trully feel the BCA is a totally inept organization as it has never followed the mission upon which it operates ( non-profit ); whereby, it should be a true trade organization and assist the members in the promotion of the sport in lieu of competing against them.
The BCA has done so many ignorant things in the past that it is overwhelming, i.e., the decision to go "smokeless" almost as a direct response to the Camel Group's request to work with the BCA. RJ Reynolds/Camel Brands ( could ) have been the very best ( lucrative ) sponsor the industry has ever seen .. but the BCA allienated them .. instead of attemting to work something out with them ( I know, as I was a part of the Camel Pro as the official qualifier tour ); and the BCA and affiliates continued desire and waste of money, time and effort to secure Olympic recognition and have the games of "pool" in the Olympics. I and all who read this will be 6 feet under long before pool is in the Olympics !!
Rumors of a new tour: possible .. we have advertised so on our website and continue talks with Diamond and use of the Smart Tables .. and have had talks with other potential sponsors as well ... so we may indeed be back soon.
I really have no suggestions as to how to get money donations for any tour ... except to say .. find a recent lotto winner who plays pool .. a multi-millionaire who loves pool .. or beg, borrow and do whatever is legal to get the industry to donate.
Good Luck !!
www.texasexpress.com
John McChesney
CEO
Texas Express

Bob Romano

Bob' Wife
Silver Member
You go Blud! There is only 1 original and that's Leonard.
Blud made me a stick last year, I broke and the 9 went right in. Perfection!

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
john you lost all credibility with me anyway when you defended the smoking thing to keep sponsorship. you may not care if people die or have lung problems but the vast majority nowadays do not want to do anything in a smoke filled place.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
john you lost all credibility with me anyway when you defended the smoking thing to keep sponsorship. you may not care if people die or have lung problems but the vast majority nowadays do not want to do anything in a smoke filled place.

John passed away, years ago.

Will Prout

I hate smoke filled pool halls, but they are the popular thing. If people had any respect for the Non Smokers, then they would smoke outside. I find it so hard to breath in pool halls and bars that allow smoking.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I’m sure John is rolling in his grave.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member

What a dick move. Red to you.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a dick move. Red to you.
I agree. Whatta a-hole move. John was a nice guy and did a ton for pool. Back then in the beautifully non-'woke' days you looked for sponsor money any where. Cigs, booze, ambulance-chasing lawyers, whatever you could find. Weed dispensaries would have been a perfect fit had they been around. To take shots at JM, especially since he's passed, is a low rent cheapshot.

Last edited:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A smoke-filled poolroom with 100 players is better for pool than an empty storefront with crystal clean air where the poolroom used to be.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i did not know he died. sorry for that.
but the comment is spot on to those that support smoking.