Jim McDermott elected into Hall of Fame.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For his outstanding contributions to the cuemaking art and industry, Jim McDermott has been elected into the International Cuemakers Hall of Fame.
Jim started repairing cues in the mid 1960’s around the Milwaukee area and started working for another cuemaker in 1966. After working there for several years and perfecting his cuemaking skills, he went out on his own and started the McDermott Cue Manufacturing company in 1975 in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin. McDermott rapidly became one of the best known brands of cues. They were the first higher production cue manufacturer to almost exclusively use the 3/8-10 wood to wood joint. Although he was not the first to use that joint pin, it became so familiar to the public, that many still refer to the 3/8-10 pin as the “McDermott style” joint. They moved into their state of the art facilities in 1988 and were among the first to make the transition to CNC turning centers, 4-axis rotational milling capabilities, and automated electro-static UV urethane finish. Jim introduced many lines of cues through the years. One of the most popular was the D-Line from the mid 80’s. Many of these have already become sought after by collectors. Jim was always there to help grow the sport. These efforts included sponsoring players, developing the McDermott National 9-ball Tour, and even supplying McDermott cues for the movie “The Color of Money” released in 1986. Jim retired from cuemaking in the mid 90’s, but McDermott continues to be one of the top brands of cues worldwide and still uses many of the same methods Jim used in the 60’s.
To see the full International Cuemakers Hall of Fame visit www.internationalcuemakers.com

By Chris Hightower - 2011-03-01
Jim%20McDermott%20Picture.jpg

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah Jim should have been inducted into the hall of fame as a cue maker 20 years ago. He has always make a good solid cue and has led the way.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree That He is well deserving of the honor, and surprised It didn't come sooner. Anyhow great choice, Congrats, and thanks to him for his contributions to the industry.

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim helped me set up my 1st lathe & helped me with his advise, when I 1st started, in the early 80's. A good guy. Congratulations are in order...JER

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

When someone asks me to quote a price for a cue and they are shocked by my price, I always advise them that McDermott also has a lower priced line of cues that play great.

McDermott is the only cue that I ever recommend out of the sea of companies that make cues for $ 200.00 or less.

I do a ton of cue repair in my pool hall and have seen a lot of McDermotts. They are build to a standard that speaks for itself.

Mr. MCdermott is someone we all should salute for his life's work and entry into the HOF.

Rick G

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very glad to read this, since my first "real" cue was a D1 back in those 80s. I managed to upgrade to a higher D20-odd something which would never be sold. I compare the leather grip on this to many of the newer cues-usually not even close. Quality...

Good to see that the designer of my cue has been appreciated by his fellow cuemakers:)

jrackman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrates

to Mr Mcdermott, well deserved. His older cues play as good as any out there. I have 3 Mcdermotts. two D-19 and one custom cue apparently made for a pool room owner (Mr. RED) in upstate NY in the late 70's or early 80's.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is hard to believe that he wasn't one of the FIRST cue makers to be inducted. It is to this day, hard to beat a C or D series McDermott for quality and playability.Not to mention style and originality.
I wish I still had my D-26.