adjusting to a new cue?

painfullyslow

Registered
Hey all.

I am a few days away from receiving my first custom cue which I also purchased a CF shaft for. This is a huge divergence from my steel jointed, LD wood shaft production cue so I know that there will be a massive learning curve.

I am sure that this info must be out there on the forum buy my searching must stink because it came up dry.

What are your favorite/recommended activities for adjusting to a new cue? Drills? If so, which ones? Just play racks?

Basically I am hoping to make this learning period as short and painless as possible (hahaha!) and am asking the best way to go about it.

Thanks!

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey all.

I am a few days away from receiving my first custom cue which I also purchased a CF shaft for. This is a huge divergence from my steel jointed, LD wood shaft production cue so I know that there will be a massive learning curve.

I am sure that this info must be out there on the forum buy my searching must stink because it came up dry.

What are your favorite/recommended activities for adjusting to a new cue? Drills? If so, which ones? Just play racks?

Basically I am hoping to make this learning period as short and painless as possible (hahaha!) and am asking the best way to go about it.

Thanks!

I simply recommend playing the same way you did with your old cue. If your fundamentals are solid (head still after completion of shot) you will automatically see how you're missing (if you do miss) and how to adjust.

You could also set up shots that require different spins and evaluate the difference and what adjustments are required. But, I feel if you do this...you'll think too much.

I would just get into action and battle...and you'll simply adjust over time (if it really requires that much adjustment).

Also, I recommend putting on the same brand of TIP that you used on your old cue (if you like it). This will make the transition less painful.

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
custom cue which I purchased a CF shaft for. This is a huge divergence from my... LD wood shaft

No, it's really not. Depending on which LD shaft and which CF shaft you're talking about, the difference ranges from pretty minor to totally negligible. Just play with the new one as if there is no adjustment period required, and there won't be too much of one.

painfullyslow

Registered
I simply recommend playing the same way you did with your old cue. If your fundamentals are solid (head still after completion of shot) you will automatically see how you're missing (if you do miss) and how to adjust.

You could also set up shots that require different spins and evaluate the difference and what adjustments are required. But, I feel if you do this...you'll think too much.

I would just get into action and battle...and you'll simply adjust over time (if it really requires that much adjustment).

Also, I recommend putting on the same brand of TIP that you used on your old cue (if you like it). This will make the transition less painful.

Thanks for your advice. I am putting the same tip on the CF shaft that I am currently using as I was thinking it might make the transition easier.

No, it's really not. Depending on which LD shaft and which CF shaft you're talking about, the difference ranges from pretty minor to totally negligible. Just play with the new one as if there is no adjustment period required, and there won't be too much of one.

I am less concerned about the transition from LD wood to CF, and more that the hit and feedback of a steel jointed small pin production cue will be vastly different than a phenolic jointed, big pin custom cue. Also, thanks for your advice. I guess I will just begin shooting with it and see what happens!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
New played with LD, or Casrbon Shaft, but it like going for a Mercedes Benz to a BMW. Control are different, time you will master.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a drill I practice often but I find especially good when I try a new cue. This gives instant feedback on how a cue ball reacts to your stroke.

Put an object ball a few inches past the side pocket and one inch off of the rail. Then put the cue ball on the head string also one inch off the rail. With the cue ball, using a stop shot, shoot the object ball straight in corner pocket. This will show if you are shooting straight or missing consistently on one side or the other. Practice until you make the shot consistently. Now use different speeds until you are proficient.

The next step is to try one type of English on this shot, such as a little low/right. You should be able to make the shot and leave the cue ball spinning in place. Do this until you are proficient. Now practice with another combination of English. These straight in shots give better feedback than angled shots. Good luck.

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it may just be me,i have had people giveme a lot of advice
but i just pick up a new cue and start shooting

it all seems so easy anyway
once JC on here,a great new talent gave me a cue with a long extension,total about 68 inches 25 oz
it felt really different for about 5 minutes and i got involved with a one pocket game ad was perfectly adjusted in a few minutes

i played my best pool with that cue,and he has since developed into an outstanding talent

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
How to adjust? I think if there's a difference you might notice it would be in the taper or
the tip size if changed that up but the best way to adjust is to play, just play, don't get
all technical, and don't over think it. It won't be long before you don't notice much
difference. There may be little things you might notice along the way, but those will be
easily compensated for as you go. Just play

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just play....take it out for a thorough test ride......Scatter 15 balls on the table and run ‘em.
Then do it again and again. Play at least 5-6 racks.....keep your old cue nearby......you can
try shots you missed with your old cue and then your new one.....after you’ve done this, it
is time for doing your favorite drills that you already know what your best is and on average.

Get to know your cue.......practice long shots, tough cut shots, draw, stop and follow.....and
most of all how to manage the speed of your cue stroke for precise control cue ball movement.

Give yourself two days ( a weekend) or 5-6 hrs and you’ve just acquired brand new weapon for life.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Hey all.

Thanks!

For me, the biggest value of having your own cue is how it spins.
So shoot spin shots till you instinctively know where to aim.
...that spin involves draw and high ball also.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey all.

Thanks!
Biggest transition will be when you are using spin, adjusting to the deflexion differences between the two shafts. You will eventually have to learn this through trial and error, but starting out I would try to stick more to center ball and apply spin slowly. Otherwise you may take a huge hit to your confidence by missing so many shots. I would avoid tournament/pressure situations for a little bit, at least until you have some time to adjust to and gain shotmaking and speed control confidence in your new cue/shaft.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A tip for you

Here's a tip for you that I got from a top cue maker many years ago. The cue maker had just finished making a cue for a customer and when the customer came to pick it up, the cue maker asked him to let him (the cue maker) hold his old cue for a period of time. The cue maker told him that if he had his old cue laying around, the first time he played badly with the new cue, he'd go back to his old one. If he didn't have the old cue handy, he'd be forced to adjust to the new cue. I thought that made sense.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I am less concerned about the transition from LD wood to CF, and more that the hit and feedback of a steel jointed small pin production cue will be vastly different than a phenolic jointed, big pin custom cue.

Those things only affect you if you let them. You can feel the difference, but the CB can't. Focus on your fundamentals and any difference in feel and feedback will hopefully just enhance your aesthetic experience.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be patient. Don’t try to be Florian Kahler until you have become accustomed to the cue.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
First of all, congrats on your first custom cue. The advice I would give is be very patient and keep an open mind. You have to give it time to break in the tip and adapt from your previous cue's feel and playing characteristics.

It can take weeks to adapt to the new cue. Stick with it and you might be rewarded.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some good advice here was given. But every one of you missed one basic thing....

The very first thing I do with a new cue or shaft is find the natrual pivot point. This will shorten your adjustment period by many hours.... or DAYS!

It is much easier to adjust to the new feel at that point. Starting with a good tip that you like is a good start too(mentioned above). My new cue had an Everest. Tried to play it for a while. But it was too soft on the OB-1. When I put my go to Morri hard on it, it woke it up big time! Much better feedback.

First night playing with the hard tip on it, I scored 10, 5, B&R, and a Table run. (BCA League similar to Valley format). Really improve the feel.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Just play Straight Pool, until you forget you are even playing with a new cue. Looking at the layouts, and playing the game will help take your mind off of the transition. It's a beautiful game.

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
Having a new cue is one of my favorite excuses for mistakes. So never adjust! :)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey all.

Thanks!

As always quotes from Kung-Fu Panda apply to everything. "There is no secret ingredient". To get used to a new cue play with it the same way as any other cue you play with it. There is no trick to playing with a new shaft or on a new table, or in a different state. You shoot shots. If you miss a shot, you adjust, if you miss it more than a few times after adjusting you set up that shot over and over till you don't miss. This applies to every shot though so no different for a new cue or if you are just learning to play or if you just feel like you are shooting badly for whatever reason.