Pool in the Time of Coronavirus

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I was looking at some trips I have planned this year, some pool related, and began to wonder how many I’d be able to actually do given what appears to be the expanding spread of the Coronavirus.

I’m holding off on some and thinking refundable tickets and hotel reservations are the way to go on the rest...

Lou Figueroa
just a thought

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I was looking at some trips I have planned this year, some pool related, and began to wonder how many I’d be able to actually do given what appears to be the expanding spread of the Coronavirus.

I’m holding off on some and thinking refundable tickets and hotel reservations are the way to go on the rest...

Lou Figueroa
just a thought

I wouldn't travel until this blows over, I think this thing is especially harsh on older citizens.

Seaspook

Has-Been
I am holding off buying tickets as well. Really thinking the fare will drop ...though I do have health concerns.

Cruise lines are really cutting prices....but no thanks.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I get it, love in the time of cholera.

yeah, ide stay put pal. you might be the a sshole that brings us all down.

itll be like hunger games, the walking dead.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
just a thought

My motto has been if I can't live life on my terms, I'm not living anyway. Any of us could have a heart attack or stroke next week and not be able to travel at all. I ride motorcycles, scuba dive and go to Arab countries and visit cities that are far more dangerous than Shanghai. I'm in the travel business. I expect this sort of attitude for a while. The disease will spread, definitely, but the fear has already preceded it like a tidal wave.

My best trips have been in times of societal distress. I went to Asia at the start of the first gulf war. Because business ground to a halt. We basically had the Grand Hyatt in Bali to ourselves and they put us in the "owner's" suite, two story with a kitchen and a private swimming pool. We were the only guests on a Hong Kong Harbor cruise - I had no idea why the company didn't cancel it.

You can't escape disease, it will come to you, especially with our modern day world where we are so physically interconnected through mobility, travel and social events. Every building and restaurant has the same germ spreading areas as an airplane or cruise ship or hotel. Concerts, stadiums, you name it.

You can prepare for it by exercising, making sure any health issues are addressed. You can stop any excess drinking or god forbid, smoking. You can stop recreational drugs. You can eat healthy and make sure you get plenty of sleep. You can help yourself. You can get that blood pressure where it should be and that waist too.

But you can't hide from a virus. So far we haven't had a slowdown in business but I know it's coming and I'm trying to make sure our contractual commitments are covered as much as possible. I do anticipate some serious discounting over the next few months if demand wanes.

As far as me personally goes, I'm going to Spain in May and Israel in September. I'm going into Palestinian areas and renting a car. I want to live. I want to experience. I want to thrive and if that means taking reasonable risks, I'm going to do it. In my view, the biggest risk is doing nothing with the life we are given.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My motto has been if I can't live life on my terms, I'm not living anyway. Any of us could have a heart attack or stroke next week and not be able to travel at all. I ride motorcycles and go to Arab counties and visit cities that are far more dangerous than Shanghai. I'm in the travel business. I expect this sort of attitude for a while. The disease will spread, definitely, but the fear has already preceded it like a tidal wave.

My best trips have been in times of societal distress. I went to Asia at the start of the first gulf war. Because business ground to a halt. We basically had the Grand Hyatt in Bali to ourselves and they put us in the "owner's" suite, two story with a kitchen and a private swimming pool. We were the only guests on a Hong Kong Harbor cruise - I had no idea why the company didn't cancel it.

You can't escape disease, it will come to you, especially with our modern day world where we are so physically interconnected through mobility, travel and social events. Every building and restaurant has the same germ spreading areas as an airplane or cruise ship or hotel. Concerts, stadiums, you name it.

You can prepare for it by exercising, making sure any health issues are addressed. You can stop any excess drinking or god forbid, smoking. You can stop recreational drugs. You can eat healthy and make sure you get plenty of sleep. You can help yourself. You can get that blood pressure where it should be and that waist too.

But you can't hide from a virus. So far we hav't had a slowdown in business but I know it's coming and I'm trying to make sure our contractual commitments are covered as much as possible. I do anticipate some serious discounting over the next few months if demand wanes.

As far as me personally goes, I'm going to Spain in May and Israel in September. I'm going into Palestinian areas and renting a car. I want to live. I want to experience. I want to thrive and if that means taking reasonable risks, I'm going to do it. In my view, the biggest risk is doing nothing with the life we are given.

Tap tap tap.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
My motto has been if I can't live life on my terms, I'm not living anyway. Any of us could have a heart attack or stroke next week and not be able to travel at all. I ride motorcycles, scuba dive and go to Arab counties and visit cities that are far more dangerous than Shanghai. I'm in the travel business. I expect this sort of attitude for a while. The disease will spread, definitely, but the fear has already preceded it like a tidal wave.

But you can't hide from a virus. So far we haven't had a slowdown in business but I know it's coming and I'm trying to make sure our contractual commitments are covered as much as possible. I do anticipate some serious discounting over the next few months if demand wanes.

Same here, trying to start with a new company that will take me to Finland for 3 months then Brazil for a month, Germany for a month, and Belgium for a month, maybe catch Mosconi cup while I'm there :) definitely Amsterdam - cant smoke anything though(drug test)

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Same here, trying to start with a new company that will take me to Finland for 3 months then Brazil for a month, Germany for a month, and Belgium for a month, maybe catch Mosconi cup while I'm there :) definitely Amsterdam - cant smoke anything though(drug test)

That is going to be really exciting Jason, good luck.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
just a thought
So I suppose Barton vs Figueroa II is definitely off!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My motto has been if I can't live life on my terms, I'm not living anyway. Any of us could have a heart attack or stroke next week and not be able to travel at all. I ride motorcycles, scuba dive and go to Arab counties and visit cities that are far more dangerous than Shanghai. I'm in the travel business. I expect this sort of attitude for a while. The disease will spread, definitely, but the fear has already preceded it like a tidal wave.

I was planning on going to Spain in the middle of April, but now my eye surgery is scheduled for the end of March and I will have to postpone my trip for a little while.

Do you know of any deals for travel from Hawaii to Spain and back?

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We're headed to eastern Europe for 5 weeks starting Mar 30, unless actually forbidden at the time. Locked in ticker prices about a month before anyone heard of the c virus. We wanted to land Milan, depart Gdansk, but the industry makes that near impossible without more than doubling airfares. Even tried to/from London, and local flights to Europe, but did not work well with our destinations. Anyway, now Milan/Milan, and a big circle across the top of the Adriatic, down the east coast and a big loop up and back.

H-E - I couldn't fly for 6 months after my retina surgery a few years ago. Wife had a nice trip with friends during that time. :(
Good luck!

smt

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Working in my industry and living in Washington, D.C., I have worked on quite a few jobs recently about the coronavirus, from CDC to NIH to Congress.

As far as the airplane goes, I would be careful and wear a face mask. Wash your hands frequently, and DO NOT TOUCH your face, nose and mouth.

Coronavirus is a respiratory virus, and if you are within 6 feet of a person who is infected and they cough/sneeze, you can be infected with the droplets in the air by breathing them in. 6 feet!

A person who is infected with the coronavirus, they are infectious for 2 to 14 days after getting it. The 14-day is what has everybody alarmed, as some may be thinking the worst is yet to come.

Though the virus germs can live on a surface for up to 3 hours, CDC says it's highly unlikely that you can get it in that way. I still would be using hand sanitizer often if I could not wash my hands.

As far as traveling, I think it's doable as long as you take MAJOR precautions. The thing about an airplane is everybody is breathing that canned air, and it's those droplets that one has to worry about, being spread 6 feet from where you are sitting.

In this regard, use face masks, sanitizer, and wash your hands frequently. Try to avoid touching your face when you are out. Since this is a respiratory virus, it can not only be caught from breathing, but if your fingers have the droplets on them from somebody who coughed/sneezed and then you touch your nose, you can get it that way too.

I think it is safe to travel, but do so cautiously.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am holding off buying tickets as well. Really thinking the fare will drop ...though I do have health concerns.

Cruise lines are really cutting prices....but no thanks.

Sidebar:

What is happening pool-wise in Arlington these days?

That is where my stroke was born and there used to be quite a few rooms and players around.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't travel until this blows over, I think this thing is especially harsh on older citizens.

I’ve heard that too but there is some reason to doubt that because a large percentage of older men in China, where that info came from, are smokers.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

While I applauded your big brass ones approach to life it may not be up to you.

The Feds have significant and sweeping powers when it comes to quarantines. In addition, companies have to be concerned about their employees as well as their customers. So it would not surprise me if airlines started curtailing flights to lessen the exposure to pilots and crews. Same for stores and hotels. Here in STL a few major corporations have begun to cut corporate travel for the time being.

Gail and I have a trip planned this year to Argentina. But guess what? Buenos Aires has a large Italian population where there’s been a major outbreak. So who knows. Of course there’s also the issue of a long flight with recirculated air if that were even to come off.

So like I said, it’s great you want to live large but it may not entirely be your call.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited: