Problems with cuemaker?

JMiller1975

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everybody! I'd like to get an idea on how to proceed with a cuemaker that I'm having problems with.

I ordered some things from a very well known, and highly regarded, cue maker about 8 months ago and have been getting the runaround ever since. After 4 moths of saying he was just about finished, I finally received my order. On top of changing the overall design we had agreed on (without asking) he also said that other things we agreed on (and was already paid for) he was no longer going to be able to do it.

If those things weren't bad enough, the workmanship that I was expecting from this person was the absolute worst I have ever seen, from anyone. It was so bad, in fact, that it felt like it was done on purpose.

His response to the whole thing? "send everything back and I'll refund your money" No explanation. Nothing.

Because I felt like I was lied to, repeatedly, I feel like this is a lie as well. I sent everything back, and as soon as he receives it, he's supposed to refund my money. We'll see. I don't have much faith...

Has anyone else dealt with something like this from a cuemaker? What did you do? how was it resolved? Any tips for the future?

JC

Coos Cues
Hi everybody! I'd like to get an idea on how to proceed with a cuemaker that I'm having problems with.

I ordered some things from a very well known, and highly regarded, cue maker about 8 months ago and have been getting the runaround ever since. After 4 moths of saying he was just about finished, I finally received my order. On top of changing the overall design we had agreed on (without asking) he also said that other things we agreed on (and was already paid for) he was no longer going to be able to do it.

If those things weren't bad enough, the workmanship that I was expecting from this person was the absolute worst I have ever seen, from anyone. It was so bad, in fact, that it felt like it was done on purpose.

His response to the whole thing? "send everything back and I'll refund your money" No explanation. Nothing.

Because I felt like I was lied to, repeatedly, I feel like this is a lie as well. I sent everything back, and as soon as he receives it, he's supposed to refund my money. We'll see. I don't have much faith...

Has anyone else dealt with something like this from a cuemaker? What did you do? how was it resolved? Any tips for the future?

Here we go again. Deja vu all over again. Name names or go cry in your beer. Chances are it's the same old same old but since names are never named for some reason I fail to grasp, (Honor?:lmao:) the word doesn't seem to get out and victim number xyz is on here posting next month.

If someone is doing the pool cue buying public dirty they should be held accountable. Peer pressure and shunning are two good tools unavailable for the never named flakes here in the endless threads.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you've been getting the "runaround" that long you should name the maker now. Too many SOB's are getting away with this kind of chit not only in the pool industry but other businesses as well.
The nuthuggers are anxiously awaiting you to name them also so they can come to the defense, probably because they screw over, or want to screw folks over too.
(I would wager beers it's not Keith Josey or Andy Gilbert).

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

These threads pop up from time to time and always will as long as people pay thousands in up front money. Same thing with contractors, once they got the cash you're at their mercy.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with JC. But to avoid any problems in the future deal with your cue maker face-to-face. I have several custom cues and did all the dealings face to face each time. Good luck to you. NAME!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Unless it's an inconsequential amount of money, I would wait to see if you do get the refund before doing much else including commenting on this thread. You can't change what happened but at least you can walk away financially whole. Based on the fact that he was somewhat responsive, seems to me the odds of you getting a refund are good. Even though you're disappointed in him, he probably is disappointed in himself as well and it's best to handle this as business-like and polite as possible. There is the other side of the story too - we just don't know what people might be going though at work or their personal lives to affect their performance and it might just be temporary.

Last edited:

JMiller1975

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would wait to see if you do get the refund before doing much else including commenting on this thread. You can't change what happened but at least you can walk away financially whole. Based on the fact that he was somewhat responsive, seems to me the odds of you getting a refund are good. Even though you're disappointed in him, believe me, he probably is disappointed in himself as well and it's best to handle this as business-like and polite as possible.

This is what I plan on doing, I was just wondering what other people have done when/if they encounter the same thing. I hope he does the right thing, but you never know. I've asked for an explanation as to why he would send me such obviously shoddy workmanship, but have yet to receive a response. I specifically didn't mention his name because, as far as I know, this could be a one-off thing and I'd hate to ruin his reputation by putting something out there that will last forever and potentially cost him some money. Especially if he plans on making everything right. We'll see though. Thanks for a normal response

Last edited:

JMiller1975

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here we go again. Deja vu all over again. Name names or go cry in your beer. Chances are it's the same old same old but since names are never named for some reason I fail to grasp, (Honor?:lmao:) the word doesn't seem to get out and victim number xyz is on here posting next month.

If someone is doing the pool cue buying public dirty they should be held accountable. Peer pressure and shunning are two good tools unavailable for the never named flakes here in the endless threads.

While I agree that might work on some people, it could also hurt people who simply made a mistake if I then make a rash decision and attack them. Again, for all I know, everything will be taken care of and there won't be an incident lingering around forever on the interwebs bashing someone and costing them money.

IF, on the other hand, this drags out longer than necessary and I'm still unhappy, I'll gladly post our emails, along with photos of the work that was done.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"...his response to the whole thing? "send everything back and I'll refund your money" No explanation. Nothing."

That's about as far as the consideration should go.

Take that offer. You won't get a better one.

Of course, take good pictures of the item as you pack it, send it signature required... And have an agreement as to the time frame after he receives it that you will have your refund.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I don't understand the need to go public if the guy sends you a full refund.
If the frustration level is that high and the workmanship is that bad you should post pics and out the maker.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allow me to explain why things should go public that are just wrong to start with.

A cue-maker that is not contrite and apologetic over crappy workmanship is owed nothing.

The customer is entitled to their money but a cue-maker exhibiting indifference needs to be outed.

Who wants to be that cue-maker’s next casualty? Wouldn’t you want to know something is awry before
placing a new order with someone that might treat your order the very same way. The pool community
is self policing and there’s been cue-makers that have done the right thing when confronted and called
out by their customer. But there’s also been instances where they behaved abysmally and eventually
more customers came forth with complaints about that cue-maker as well.

So yes, if a cue-maker behaves like a butthole, then he has earned and deserves a giant enema cuz
that cue-maker will do this again to someone one else. So forewarned is as good as being forearmed.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you have serious doubts as to his honesty, why would you send the cue back before getting your money back? Sounds like you are expecting the worst. If he fails to refund your money in a timely fashion, what exactly are you planning to do next?

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand the need to go public if the guy sends you a full refund.

I mean, how about as a heads up to fellow AZers?

8 months of waiting and getting the runaround, and now waiting for a refund, sounds like a big ol waste of time to me.

If someone names a cue maker and tells about a bad experience, I make a mental note of sorts, heck I am sure almost everyone has made a mistake or two along the way, although if I see a bunch of similar stories I know to stay away.

Pat, Leon & Jack are permantly on my do not buy list, so some stories definitely hit a little harder than others.

Last edited:

azdiamondbacks1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I fail to see how your post is of any value to anyone if you do not out the maker who
has mistreated you.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I mean, how about as a heads up to fellow AZers?

8 months of waiting and getting the runaround, and now waiting for a refund, sounds like a big ol waste of time to me.

If someone names a cue maker and tells about a bad experience, I make a mental note of sorts, heck I am sure almost everyone has made a mistake or two along the way, although if I see a bunch of similar stories I know to stay away.

Pat, Leon & Jack are permantly on my do not buy list, so some stories definitely hit a little harder than others.

They all make mistakes, I could write a book.
That doesn't mean this cuemaker isn't good, in fact I think I know who it is and he is an excellent cuemaker.
In this case I'm willing to bet he gets a refund without any public pressure.

If I went public everytime a cuemaker screwed up I could write a book.
To me going public is a last resort.
Nobody wants to hear about all of my horror stories.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They all make mistakes, I could write a book.
That doesn't mean this cuemaker isn't good, in fact I think I know who it is and he is an excellent cuemaker.
In this case I'm willing to bet he gets a refund without any public pressure.

If I went public everytime a cuemaker screwed up I could write a book.
To me going public is a last resort.
Nobody wants to hear about all of my horror stories.

I contend that attitude is why there are so many horror stories in the first place.

Also, I love hearing a good horror story, be it Sly, Krown customs cues, Eddie wheat or whomever else.

And this is already a two-strike story, shit happens, people get sick, lose communication, easily something one could look past, that first strike is quite excusable given the right circumstances.

But, what's the excuse for sending out junk work, is it hoping the customer doesn't complain and excepts it(worst case), bad quality control, rushing(best cases)

This is assuming what OP said was correct.