Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How to Use the Masse' Shot to Curve Around Obstructing Balls
Page 3 of 14 123 4513 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#31)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-03-2015, 10:39 AM

I'm not sure if CJ was referring to this specific shot or not but I have very often aligned 'through' a portion of a blocking ball & gone right around it but usually with less masse than this shot.

I think it depends whether one hits high on the ball or more on the low side.

I think with the lower hit the ball squirts a bit early on.

But... like Dennis Miller so often says about himself, I could be wrong.

Best 2 All,
Rick

Last edited by ENGLISH!; 03-03-2015 at 10:57 AM.

Old
  (#32)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-03-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
If people want to see a video demonstration of this, along with supporting instructional articles, they can be found here:

masse shot aiming resource page
FYI, for those interested, the video and articles also contain some useful technique advice for those who have trouble executing masse shots. It's one thing to know how to aim masse shots, and it is an entirely different thing to have the technique necessary to execute them with confidence.

Enjoy,
Dave

upper body angles will change relative to where you have to hold the cue
Old
  (#33)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION

CJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond repute

Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas - Book Private Lessons thegameistheteacher@gmail.com

Arrow upper body angles will change relative to where you have to hold the cue - 03-03-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGLISH! View Post
I'm not sure if CJ was referring to this specific shot or not but I have very often aligned 'through' a portion of a blocking ball & gone right around it but usually with less masse than this shot.

Best 2 All,
Rick
Yes, to create the technique's ideal scenario the head must not move, after you're aligned and ready to approach the shot.

The upper body angles will change relative to where you have to hold the cue (at the front of the wrap, or even behind, near the balance point).

TO BOOK PRIVATE LESSONS EMAIL ME AT thegameistheteacher@gmail.com - Private Membership Site is www.masteringpocketbilliards.com - For DVDs and Blogs www.cjwiley.com

Old
  (#34)
JE54
Gotta get a new dentist.
JE54 has a reputation beyond reputeJE54 has a reputation beyond reputeJE54 has a reputation beyond reputeJE54 has a reputation beyond reputeJE54 has a reputation beyond reputeJE54 has a reputation beyond reputeJE54 has a reputation beyond reputeJE54 has a reputation beyond reputeJE54 has a reputation beyond reputeJE54 has a reputation beyond reputeJE54 has a reputation beyond repute

03-03-2015, 07:41 PM

Is it harder to do using a low deflection shaft ?

Old
  (#35)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

03-03-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE54 View Post
Is it harder to do using a low deflection shaft ?
No - some think it's easier to squirt the ball around the obstacle with a higher-squirt cue, but that's not necessary - just aim it where the squirt would take it (if any).

pj
chgo

there's a system that allows you to do this no matter how much masse' is needed
Old
  (#36)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION

CJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond repute

Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas - Book Private Lessons thegameistheteacher@gmail.com

Arrow there's a system that allows you to do this no matter how much masse' is needed - 03-05-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGLISH! View Post

Best 2 All,
Rick
Yes, there's a system that allows you to do this no matter how much masse' is needed. It's pretty cool, however, it takes a good understanding of the upper body mechanics, and how they conform to the cue's tip......'The Game is the Teacher'

TO BOOK PRIVATE LESSONS EMAIL ME AT thegameistheteacher@gmail.com - Private Membership Site is www.masteringpocketbilliards.com - For DVDs and Blogs www.cjwiley.com

Old
  (#37)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:
ENGLISH!:
...I have very often aligned 'through' a portion of a blocking ball & gone right around it but usually with less masse than this shot.
CJ:
Yes, there's a system that allows you to do this no matter how much masse' is needed.
I seriously doubt it - it's impossible to aim through the blocking ball for any but the tiniest amount of masse. For instance, your "instructional" video clearly shows you aiming far to the side - how about a video of you making that shot while really aiming through the blocking balls?

pj
chgo

"Aligning" correctly is the key to shot-making.
Old
  (#38)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION

Arrow "Aligning" correctly is the key to shot-making. - 03-05-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
I seriously doubt it - it's impossible to aim through the blocking ball for any but the tiniest amount of masse. For instance, your "instructional" video clearly shows you aiming far to the side - how about a video of you making that shot while really aiming through the blocking balls?

pj
chgo
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, to create the technique's ideal scenario the head must not move, after you're aligned and ready to approach the shot.
The upper body angles will change relative to where you have to hold the cue (at the front of the wrap, or even behind, near the balance point).

Where did I say anything about aiming? "Aligning" correctly is the key to shot-making.

Old
  (#39)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

03-05-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Wiley View Post
Where did I say anything about aiming?
Right here, in the post I quoted above:
Quote:
Quote:
Mirza:
You aim like you would aim the shot if the obstructing ball wasn't there?
CJ:
Yes.......of course - how else could we make them so consistently.
But anyway, OK, you meant aligned. And how you're aligned for the masse shot in the video is the same way you'd be aligned for a straight shot?

If you say so...

pj
chgo

Old
  (#40)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION

03-05-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Right here, in the post I quoted above:

But anyway, OK, you meant aligned. And how you're aligned for the masse shot in the video is the same way you'd be aligned for a straight shot?

If you say so...

pj
chgo
It's common to confuse "aiming" with aligning, although I try to be specific when possible.

And you can align the same, although only when you understand the fundamentals correctly......

Last edited by CJ Wiley; 03-05-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Old
  (#41)
Mirza
AzB Silver Member
Mirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
It's common to confuse "aiming" with aligning, although I try to be specific when possible.

And you can align the same, although only when you understand the fundamentals correctly......
I asked you about aiming, read my post again.

Old
  (#42)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

03-06-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
It's common to confuse "aiming" with aligning
Apparently so. Maybe it would help us if you explain the difference using the pic above of you aiming way to the side while "aligning" straight.

Thanks in advance,

pj
chgo

Old
  (#43)
Mikjary
Just chillin'
Mikjary has a reputation beyond reputeMikjary has a reputation beyond reputeMikjary has a reputation beyond reputeMikjary has a reputation beyond reputeMikjary has a reputation beyond reputeMikjary has a reputation beyond reputeMikjary has a reputation beyond reputeMikjary has a reputation beyond reputeMikjary has a reputation beyond reputeMikjary has a reputation beyond reputeMikjary has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2300

03-06-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:

CJ,

Are you using a specific aiming method that sends the cue ball to its intended target? Or are you aligning to get your result by calculating the deflection of the cue ball with your tip placement?

When I first started to learn to shoot masse' shots, I was more attuned to the deflection of the cue ball with different speeds to hit my target. With experience, I learned to not only control the speed, but stroke, also.

With practice, I developed my own method of aiming and not just aligning and relying on deflection and speed. I learned to vary the results for different occasions, including a slightly curving jump shot.

Best,
Mike

Old
  (#44)
number13cfan
Banned
number13cfan has a reputation beyond reputenumber13cfan has a reputation beyond reputenumber13cfan has a reputation beyond reputenumber13cfan has a reputation beyond reputenumber13cfan has a reputation beyond reputenumber13cfan has a reputation beyond reputenumber13cfan has a reputation beyond reputenumber13cfan has a reputation beyond reputenumber13cfan has a reputation beyond reputenumber13cfan has a reputation beyond reputenumber13cfan has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikjary View Post
CJ,

Are you using a specific aiming method that sends the cue ball to its intended target? Or are you aligning to get your result by calculating the deflection of the cue ball with your tip placement?

When I first started to learn to shoot masse' shots, I was more attuned to the deflection of the cue ball with different speeds to hit my target. With experience, I learned to not only control the speed, but stroke, also.

With practice, I developed my own method of aiming and not just aligning and relying on deflection and speed. I learned to vary the results for different occasions, including a slightly curving jump shot.

Best,
Mike
Mike; see later post!

Last edited by number13cfan; 03-06-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Old
  (#45)
Hungarian
AzB Silver Member
Hungarian has a reputation beyond reputeHungarian has a reputation beyond reputeHungarian has a reputation beyond reputeHungarian has a reputation beyond reputeHungarian has a reputation beyond reputeHungarian has a reputation beyond reputeHungarian has a reputation beyond reputeHungarian has a reputation beyond reputeHungarian has a reputation beyond reputeHungarian has a reputation beyond reputeHungarian has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2015, 09:01 AM

I've only looked at the original post and I predict that the haters are going to loose their minds with this post.

Quote:
The masse shot is useful to get out of troubling situations. The system I use makes this as simple as possible, with a little practice you can do it too. Just don't practice it at a place that doesn't allow masse' shots, it's best to get it perfected at home before taking it out in public (if possible).

Here's an example of a masse' shot that will give you a starting point to learn the technique. If you have other situations or to learn how to aim this type of shot I'll be happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

LINK TO LEARNING THE MASSE" SHOT VIDEO

Page 3 of 14 123 4513 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: