Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Weird terminology
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
bsmutz
Fearlessly Happy
bsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-27-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
I'm not going for it.
I had a guy who wanted to play me gin rummy....
....he wanted to use negative scoring...the first guy who gets 150 points loses...
,,,sure it works....but why do things backwards?

Why not just say the egg shell would be ten times thicker relatively?
....and the guy doing 60 is going five times faster.

If I saw two good looking women, but one was prettier....
....should I say the other one is uglier?
Embrace diversity. Not everyone wants to use the same old tired way of doing or saying things that people have been repeating ad nauseum for thousands of years. You have a fairly unique writing style (may be completely unique depending on your personal definition of the word "unique") yet you can't accept others trying to create their own? Hypocrisy!!!! Dang Contrarnadians! I feel you've gone all libtard or republitard on me, but I can't really tell which. Please clarify. Thanks.

My reality does not equal your reality, but my reality is neither > nor < your reality.

Old
  (#17)
michael4
AzB Silver Member
michael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond repute

07-27-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneIron View Post
I was watching a documentary last night. They said that if the earth were the size of an egg,
if the earth were the size of an egg, it wouldnt be round, it would be egg-shaped

Old
  (#18)
bsmutz
Fearlessly Happy
bsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond repute

07-27-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4 View Post
if the earth were the size of an egg, it wouldnt be round, it would be egg-shaped
The earth is not round. Normally, we at least try to match the shape when comparing sizes, but shape does not equal size in many instances. If I say that cloud or bush is the size of a small car, it does not mean the cloud or the bush is also shaped like a small car, for instance.

My reality does not equal your reality, but my reality is neither > nor < your reality.

Old
  (#19)
michael4
AzB Silver Member
michael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond repute

07-27-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmutz View Post
The earth is not round.
I'm not sure about that, I have definitely read that if the earth was the size of a pool ball, it would be "smoother" than a pool ball......in other words, closer to perfectly round than a pool ball..

which is counter intuitive

Old
  (#20)
bsmutz
Fearlessly Happy

07-27-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure about that, I have definitely read that if the earth was the size of a pool ball, it would be "smoother" than a pool ball......in other words, closer to perfectly round than a pool ball..

which is counter intuitive
Oblate spheroid is what I see it most commonly called. Squished at the poles and bulging at the equator. The center of the earth is 13 miles closer to sea level at the poles than at the equator. I'm of the opinion that the thing you read that you referenced above is talking about the surface and not the overall shape. We see it as all bumpy with the mountains and valleys, hills and dales. A pool ball would be bumpier if you looked at it under a microscope with lots of mountains and valleys, hills and dales, if we called them that. We usually refer to them as imperfections in the surface.

Old
  (#21)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

07-27-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Embrace diversity. Not everyone wants to use the same old tired way of doing or saying things that people have been repeating ad nauseum for thousands of years. You have a fairly unique writing style (may be completely unique depending on your personal definition of the word "unique") yet you can't accept others trying to create their own? Hypocrisy!!!! Dang Contrarnadians! I feel you've gone all libtard or republitard on me, but I can't really tell which. Please clarify. Thanks.
First of all, thanx for my new sig line..Contranadian...I love it...
(yeah, I left out the 'R' in the middle)

But, B, at some point you have to communicate...
...how would you like to live in a building designed and built by people that felt there should
be freedom of expression?
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 35
Size:  24.2 KB

Our architects and engineers have to use letters and numbers in a precise way...
....so there are no misunderstandings.

I have a pool action story if you need further understanding on this point.

.......and whaddiya mean that my posting style is somewhat

unusual?

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#22)
michael4
AzB Silver Member

07-27-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Oblate spheroid is what I see it most commonly called. Squished at the poles and bulging at the equator.
I get it now, kinda like my ex wife

Old
  (#23)
bsmutz
Fearlessly Happy

07-27-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
First of all, thanx for my new sig line..Contranadian...I love it...
(yeah, I left out the 'R' in the middle)

You're welcome! I'm always eager to please!

But, B, at some point you have to communicate...
...how would you like to live in a building designed and built by people that felt there should
be freedom of expression?

Our architects and engineers have to use letters and numbers in a precise way...
....so there are no misunderstandings.

Was completely unaware that we were discussing architects and engineers. Thought it was a documentary. Sorry!

I have a pool action story if you need further understanding on this point.

Proceed.

.......and whaddiya mean that my posting style is somewhat

unusual?
You're missing all of the usual "ehs" at the end of each sentence. See what I mean, eh?

Old
  (#24)
bsmutz
Fearlessly Happy

07-27-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I get it now, kinda like my ex wife
Exactly!!!

Old
  (#25)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

07-27-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
You're missing all of the usual "ehs" at the end of each sentence. See what I mean, eh?
Re sig line..I don't think I'm a nit-picker....but I don't like people to disagree silently.

Re...documentary...it was using words, wasn't it?

Re proceed....
...I was running the after hours action at a busy room in the 80s....
....I'm holding $4.000 stakes.....two guys are betting $2.000 apiece...(that explanation
seems necessary on the main forum )
...one guy thinks he's playing 5 ahead..
...the other guy thinks he's playing race to 5...

They are racking up the snooker balls and still talking with no disagreement....
I SHUT THE LIGHTS.
They're like WTF?
I said "I don't mind holding the stakes, but I don't feel like being a boxing ref."

Took a few minutes but I finally got them to understand that they had two different ideas
about how they were gambling.

When they finally got it, they were both adamant about playing their own way...
...eventually I gave them their money back....and they went home.

Communication is a wonderful thing

Lionize your game.

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#26)
bsmutz
Fearlessly Happy

07-27-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Communication is a wonderful thing
Total agreement there. To whom it may concern, I am more likely to allow greater leeway without fear of criticism of the construction methods used when building your communication than PT109, The Contranadian...
Carry on.

Old
  (#27)
pt109
WO double hemlock

07-27-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Total agreement there. To whom it may concern, I am more likely to allow greater leeway without fear of criticism of the construction methods used when building your communication than PT109, The Contranadian...
Carry on.
You seem to have capitalized 'pt'.....
...when I joined AZ, I didn't think it was a capital idea

eh?

Lionize your game.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#28)
bsmutz
Fearlessly Happy

07-27-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
You seem to have capitalized 'pt'.....
...when I joined AZ, I didn't think it was a capital idea

eh?
'Tis a pt.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: