Pro players who play simple patterns

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
My game has progressed the last year a bunch,but I have been told by strong players that I am over spinning the cue ball and going around the table too often when other options would be more consistant.Can you recommend some pros for me to watch on youtube that generally play simpler patterns with minimal cue power?

I took a 7 hour private lesson from Mike Sigel about a year ago. In spite of his incredible shot making ability as well as his freakishly accurate position play, he is a huge advocate & practitioner of simple patterns and keeping one's game, simple. Most people would think his abilities and his approach to be a contradiction, or mutually exclusive.

To be honest I thought he was pulling my leg until he went about explaining his reasons. His philosophies were present all through out his reconstruction of my approach and my game. During a break he explained to me there are those who follow the simple approach (and named fellow pro players who do). He also spoke of those who needlessly complicate their game (and he named a bunch of those as well). He didn't besmirch their skills, to the contrary actually, but he said they'd have accomplished more with their skills had they kept their game more simple.

He was extremely specific in what he meant and I'm relieved to say I was able to incorporate it into my game..and while I don't play anywhere near Mike's level, his approach is completely present in my game and I'm playing the best I ever have because of it. In addition to being the greatest living player of the game, Mike is also a phenomenal instructor. I highly recommend seeking him out for a lesson. You'd be surprised how reasonable his prices are. Very surprised.

I've watched quite a few of Mike's games (on video) in the last year and see very clearly now, him doing what he spoke about. It's super obvious actually if you know what to look for.

One part of me would like to share specifically what I'm talking about, but another part doesn't. ;-) -Z-

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My game has progressed the last year a bunch,but I have been told by strong players that I am over spinning the cue ball and going around the table too often when other options would be more consistant.Can you recommend some pros for me to watch on youtube that generally play simpler patterns with minimal cue power?

Simple isn't automatically correct. If you want to watch guys that play "right"...have a look at Darren Appleton, Ralf Souquet, and Neil's Feijen, Thorsten, John Morra lately.

I think they all show smart ways to play the balls. Neil's might be the best to watch. That guy is textbook.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums