Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Slight wobble on my new cue, what would you do?
Page 7 of 9 « First 567 89

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#91)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-02-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Bye View Post
Let me get this straight:
- you ordered a 31" Meucci blank?
- You had Schmelke turn down the shaft to what diameter?
Exactly.

They turned it.

They made the cue.

It's their problem.

I don't like that, but that's the way I see it.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#92)
Meucciplayer
AzB Silver Member
Meucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2018, 10:00 AM

Well, since you said that you did not get a shaft but rather a blank I am not so sure who would be responsible. This might be debatable. Either the blank wood was not good enough (Meucci's problem) or the way Schmelke produced the shaft from the blank was not totally perfect (Schmelke's problem). Another reason why I would never order from 2 companies. Chances are, none of the 2 will admit responsibility in this case.

But since that wobble isn't all that bad from what I read I would just live with it. My Black Dot wasn't perfect either and I played it for many years and never noticed a difference to a theoretically perfect shaft. Even if you can't completely straighten the shaft, it is going to play nicely if nothing else is missing.

Old
  (#93)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
Exactly.

They turned it.

They made the cue.

It's their problem.

I don't like that, but that's the way I see it.
That certainly complicates the situation..
If Schmelke just installed ringwork and threaded the shaft, I would think it's under Meucci warranty. If they in addition turned down/retapered the shaft, then it's most likely Schmelke's problem.
That's why I asked about what tip diameter they turned it to. If it's something crazy like 12mm or less, it's not unlikely they warned the customer about the risks?

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#94)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

10-02-2018, 11:30 AM

This is like watching the Mission Impossible .
Did not expect that twist and another one .

How thick was the blank before it was turned ?

Then again, why would you have bothered ordering a Meucci ?
Schmelke could have made the same shaft .
There is no secret to Meucci's " low deflection".
Soft ferrule with a gap under the cap.

Old
  (#95)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
That certainly complicates the situation..
If Schmelke just installed ringwork and threaded the shaft, I would think it's under Meucci warranty. If they in addition turned down/retapered the shaft, then it's most likely Schmelke's problem.
That's why I asked about what tip diameter they turned it to. If it's something crazy like 12mm or less, it's not unlikely they warned the customer about the risks?
Warned?

Maybe, maybe not.

The blank was shipped directly to Schmelke. One would assume a major cue maker knows about turning shafts from the raw lumber or a provided blank.

And it wasn't bought from Meucci, it was bought from Budget.

I have searched a little and cannot find any dimensions of a Meucci Pro blank.

We don't know what work went into the shaft at Schmelke. I don't think we have to. They made the cue and shipped it to the buyer. It goes back to them.

Indeed how this was done introduces a complication. But that's how I see it.

Neither Meucci nor Budget shipped anything to the buyer, hence the buyer cannot return anything to either one of them.

Might seem like semantics, but that is the way I see it.

If Schmelke has an issue with the Meucci materials, they need to take that up with Budget and/or Meucci as they accepted the part(s) for installation from them, not from the customer.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#96)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

10-02-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post

They call it "hydraulic".

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#97)
L I F D 1
L S S T 10
L I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlmbklr View Post
I have nothing bad to say about Schmelke, I have to believe them when they say it was straight when it left them. But as I stated in one of my many replies, what they consider straight may be different than what I do. Or maybe it did warp in transport

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
no kidding, what's under the hat, brain surgery?

Old
  (#98)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Warned?

Maybe, maybe not.

The blank was shipped directly to Schmelke. One would assume a major cue maker knows about turning shafts from the raw lumber or a provided blank.

And it wasn't bought from Meucci, it was bought from Budget.

I have searched a little and cannot find any dimensions of a Meucci Pro blank.

We don't know what work went into the shaft at Schmelke. I don't think we have to. They made the cue and shipped it to the buyer. It goes back to them.

Indeed how this was done introduces a complication. But that's how I see it.

Neither Meucci nor Budget shipped anything to the buyer, hence the buyer cannot return anything to either one of them.

Might seem like semantics, but that is the way I see it.

If Schmelke has an issue with the Meucci materials, they need to take that up with Budget and/or Meucci as they accepted the part(s) for installation from them, not from the customer.

Yes that's the way I see it too.
I couldn't find what tip diameter the OP's shaft is, but the Meucci Pro is 12.5mm as standard. I saw in another thread that the OP talked about OB2+ wich is 11.75mm.
If it's a 31" Meucci pro shaft with a 16" pro taper and a 11.75mm tip diameter, I think that is asking for trouble.
But I'll wait for more info from the OP.

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#99)
tjlmbklr
AzB Silver Member
tjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2018, 02:32 PM

I will reply to the other comments when I have a little bit more time to accurately write, but I wanted to state that I made a mistake and I referred to it as a blank when it is actually a collarless/partial shaft. So another words that shaft that I ordered from budget Billiards was already the correct diameter with the tip that I requested from Meucci it just did not have a collar on it..

"Luck is the residue of good practice"

-Unknown

Last edited by tjlmbklr; 10-02-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Old
  (#100)
tjlmbklr
AzB Silver Member
tjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Let me get this straight:
- you ordered a 31" Meucci blank?
- You had Schmelke turn down the shaft to what diameter?
my apologies, I used the wrong nomenclature I'm not a cue maker I'm just a guy that enjoys pool and thought he knew what he was talking about. They didn't turn down the shaft it was a partial collarless shaft. All they did is put a collar on it to match the butt that I had them make.

-Unknown

Old
  (#101)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member

10-02-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlmbklr View Post
my apologies, I used the wrong nomenclature I'm not a cue maker I'm just a guy that enjoys pool and thought he knew what he was talking about. They didn't turn down the shaft it was a partial collarless shaft. All they did is put a collar on it to match the butt that I had them make.

My bad I worded it in a confusing way. I took it as a given that you where talking about a partial shaft. What interests me is; did Schmelke reduce the tip diameter from the initial 12.5mm or did they leave it as they got it and just installed the shaft collar, thread and finish the shaft for you?

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#102)
tjlmbklr
AzB Silver Member

10-02-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
My bad I worded it in a confusing way. I took it as a given that you where talking about a partial shaft. What interests me is; did Schmelke reduce the tip diameter from the initial 12.5mm or did they leave it as they got it and just installed the shaft collar, thread and finish the shaft for you?
No, it's my fault, now I need to go back and tell everyone that replied with their opinion that it is actually a collarless/partial shaft, not a blank as I mistakenly said. Too bad AZB doesn't have a multi-quote feature.

But to answer your question, no they did not turn it other than where they added the collar. The shaft is the original diameter which I believe you're right, 12.5mm.

Here is the cue in question.

-Unknown

Old
  (#103)
tjlmbklr
AzB Silver Member

10-02-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree.

But it was a shaft blank turned by Schmelke.

To me, that puts it in Schmelke's lap to fix this.

The shaft blank was not shipped to the end user, it was shipped directly to Schmelke.

Schmelke then finished the shaft.

For the end user to return the shaft to Meucci does not make sense.

You cannot return to the sender that which did not come to you.

Doing it this way created a complication for sure.

I'm trying to make good and tell everyone that read what I wrote that it is a collarless/partial shaft, not a blank as I mistakenly said.
My bad.

-Unknown

Old
  (#104)
tjlmbklr
AzB Silver Member

10-02-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meucciplayer View Post
Well, since you said that you did not get a shaft but rather a blank I am not so sure who would be responsible. This might be debatable. Either the blank wood was not good enough (Meucci's problem) or the way Schmelke produced the shaft from the blank was not totally perfect (Schmelke's problem). Another reason why I would never order from 2 companies. Chances are, none of the 2 will admit responsibility in this case.

But since that wobble isn't all that bad from what I read I would just live with it. My Black Dot wasn't perfect either and I played it for many years and never noticed a difference to a theoretically perfect shaft. Even if you can't completely straighten the shaft, it is going to play nicely if nothing else is missing.

I'm trying to make good and tell everyone that read what I wrote that it is a collarless/partial shaft, not a blank as I mistakenly said.
My bad.

-Unknown

Old
  (#105)
tjlmbklr
AzB Silver Member

10-02-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post

They didn't turn it, I'm trying to make good and tell everyone that read what I wrote that it is a collarless/partial shaft, not a blank as I mistakenly said.
My bad.

-Unknown

Page 7 of 9 « First 567 89

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: