Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Solo 8 ball practice game
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Mkindsv
AzB Silver Member
Mkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-10-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldnthinkof01 View Post
This.
AIso if you can find a person that plays 2 levels above you
on the ABCDEFG scale that will play really cheap sets
regularly, do that for a year or two until you can beat them.
Solo practice is only is a small part of the equation.
I actually play a lot of better players, some pros, some just below that, both for money, in tournaments and occasionally in league. I am an all of the above approach kinda guy, always looking to improve and keep it fun. Thats what the original post was about

Old
  (#17)
Mkindsv
AzB Silver Member
Mkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softshot View Post
I practice 8 ball by playing what I call stripes vs solids... stripes always tries to get out at all costs.. solids plays safe and ducks until all his balls are free and then tries to run out... since starting this my safety game has substantially improved
Nice!!!! I won both my league matches last night against strong TAP 5's on locknup safety play...and a break and run at the end of the 8 ball set.

Old
  (#18)
spartan
AzB Silver Member
spartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond repute

Talking 09-10-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkindsv View Post
Have had issues trying to get motivated to practice for an 8 ball competition I have approaching in November

So I came up with a game that holds my attention while practicing 8 ball and has been actually pretty fun.

So you start out with a normal rack and break. Then your job is to pick either stripes or solids and run the rack (no ball in hand). If you get out, you spot the 8 and run out the other suit. If you get all the way out in 1 inning, it is 1 point. If you dont get out the entire suit, you switch suits and try to get out, switching suits each time you miss until you get out, spot the 8 and run the other suit. Your score is the innings it takes to get out on both stripes and solids. goal being the lowest score possible.

I played three sets to ten yesterday with a low score of 19...high score of 27 ish...the break really matters...position play really matters, but safeties, not so much.

I was toying with the idea of the 1 inning games not counting as a point, but a negative point, which would have an effect like getting a birdie in golf.

Just thought some of you might enjoy this. Let me know what you think. Any other awesome 8 ball solo practice games that are fun and keep you mentally engaged??? I am always looking for ways to practice better yet still have fun.
Sounds complicated. May try it one of these days. But I only play when I drink so may lose count

Old
  (#19)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkindsv View Post
I actually play a lot of better players, some pros, some just below that, both for money, in tournaments and occasionally in league. I am an all of the above approach kinda guy, always looking to improve and keep it fun. Thats what the original post was about
Great to hear!

As far as practicing 8ball by myself the only game
I enjoy is to play the ghost w/o ball in hand.
I try, over long periods, to up my runout percentage.

If I practice this 3 days a week for 2hrs, I usually gain 3-8% after a couple months.

The higher the percentage gets the harder the gains become. Sometimes they go down even
though I'm doing my best.

I only add up the percentages once a month because
you need a quite a few games to see anything meaningful.

I have been stuck at 35-45% the last few years.
Not much table time these days.

Looking at atlarge's pro stats on the bar table
is humbling to say the least and just shows how high the
mountain of greatness can be.

For safety play I try to get a few 9/10 ball or
one pocket sets in regularly.

Last edited by couldnthinkof01; 09-10-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Old
  (#20)
mvp
AzB Silver Member
mvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond reputemvp has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyhntr View Post
Your concept fits in with APA scoring. In APA, scoring if you broke and ran out before your opponent gets to the table, it could be considered a 0 inning or 1 inning game.

For those who are not capable of running, keeping track of innings is a good way to gauge progress and skill range. 5 game running average, which is the maximum number of games in APA (race of 5).

How about a raw and adjusted score? Your exercise only measure shooting and positioning, no safeties.
Should subtract for safety unless a legal hit made, somehow keep safety play relevant

Old
  (#21)
Mkindsv
AzB Silver Member

09-10-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp View Post
Should subtract for safety unless a legal hit made, somehow keep safety play relevant
I practice safeties all by themselves...honestly have never been a big safety player...so I always try to dedicate some time to them so that eventually i can start using them in game situations. Worst part of my game

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: