Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page No, Most people do not want to play pool on big pockets.
View Poll Results: For players and not home recreational bangers: Pro Cut Pockets or Buckets?
Pro Cut Pockets: 4.5" corners and 5" Sides 130 78.79%
Buckets: 5" corners and 5.5" Sides 35 21.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Page 5 of 16 « First 345 6715 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average.
Old
  (#61)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

11-18-2019, 08:37 PM

I'm a player. I've gambled mostly on double and triple shimmed GC's (before the rage of extending the rails came to be). I had no problem playing either one hole or 9 ball on a double or triple shim. Preferred double for 9 ball, and triple for one pocket.

All that said, when I chose my home table, a GC4, I wanted the factory pockets, which are about 5 to 5 1/8 at the corner. My home table is for practice. To get in stroke after a layoff, and to keep in stroke while I'm in a playing stretch. Its also to learn new shots, and practice new or old shots. AND, its also to boost my morale and confidence of my own game. For all of those reasons, I picked a bucked GC when I had my first and only home table installed 7 years ago. 7 years later, I have zero regrets, and I'd do it all the same. I still gamble at the pool room on tighter pockets, and its absolutely no problem.

Old
  (#62)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member

JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-18-2019, 10:24 PM

4.5” pockets seem to me to be the “natural standard” for pool. Twice the size of the ball makes sense. Anything bigger I’d call loose (my table) and smaller is tight. Amateur, home recreation etc could call for loose. Standard pool games for pros 4.5. 1 pocket 4”. Let it be known.

Side note. Check out the names of voters on the poll. A lot of people I never see posting.
i wonder if they know who I am?

Old
  (#63)
u12armresl
One Pocket back cutter
u12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 10:33 PM

You don't sell pool tables to "most people"
Most people aren't on AZ billiards, in fact most people aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentfromtoledo View Post
No, Most people do not want to play pool on big pockets. Older generations might, but, that does not mean everyone else wants that.

The Game has changed across the board!!

From my experience in the field and selling pool tables all over the country I have found from that data this: More people prefer a Pro Cut Pocket:4.5" corners and 5" sides.

Diamonds come standard this way and the 7' Diamond is one of the best selling pool tables in the business. The new Rasson tables come with the Pro Cut as well.

Not to mention the tons of threads on AZB about tightening pockets.

I am interested to see how the poll does.

Trent from Toledo

Old
  (#64)
u12armresl
One Pocket back cutter
u12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 10:35 PM

Penguin pro cut rails were the best investment on my Valley table.
Changed everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
The wording of your poll kinda cooked the books a little!

You talk about people wanting the small pockets then about what big sellers seven foot tables are. I would want smaller pockets on the smaller table too, to raise the difficulty level to close to the same as a nine footer.

I voted for buckets. You didn't give me the option to say I wanted the buckets on a ten foot table but that is what I want. I watched Bugs Rucker's instructional videos on banks last night. A lot of his banks wouldn't have went on a tight Diamond, particularly into side pockets off of the end rail.

A lot has changed. As a whole much newer and better maintained tables in halls has led to livelier cushions and much faster cloth. That has changed the game as has the smaller pockets. Do these changes make the game better? Not really, they just make it different. As for all of the runout claims I watched four of the top pro's playing a skins game on TV in the modern era. Seven ball, ball in hand if the player before you missed. Runout city! Well it should have been. Usually multiple players after the breaker got to the table and the breaker won at least once after coming back to the table. This wasn't on a tough rack.

I think the future of pool in the US is seven foot tables, tighter pockets, maybe even snooker style pockets. Doesn't mean I have to like small tables.

Hu

Old
  (#65)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

cueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

11-18-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
Who cares? The guy I'm shooting against has the same size pockets I do. If I can't beat him on fives, I probably can't beat on 4 1/2s either.
I am one who cares about the pockets being too tight. I ran over the field in a tournament on gandy tables with regular pockets. But that room always played the finals on the triple shimmed practice table. So the other top player there who i ran over on the normal table earlier ran over me in the finals two sets with no problem. He played that table all the time.

The angle of my pockets kill me...
Old
  (#66)
poolpro2
AzB Silver Member
poolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond repute

The angle of my pockets kill me... - 11-18-2019, 10:40 PM

I could have understood everything wrong, but this is what I think I know.

RKC changed the angle of the pockets to compensate for the shallow shelf, they are the pro cut 4.5"s otherwise.

It allows me to cheat a bit, but if you hit too hard, it will rattle. Drove me nuts for about 2 months.

Because of this, my speed has become much more consistent. I have to hit the ball right, period, or it will rattle.

I had a stock oversized 8 ft. Brunswick and my high run in straight pool was 34 after a couple of dozen tries.

I can run 8 and 9 ball racks now but my straight pool record on this table is 13.

I did the Dr. Dave table calculation and I figured it at 105.

When I go to a stock 9 footer, everything goes.

I think it is the best of both worlds now, hated it for a while.

Sorry, there is supposed to be a picture.

I watch a man shoot pool for an hour. If he misses more than one shot I know I can beat him.
-Luther Lassiter

When asked by a fellow player how he could once play for millions and now be playing for such small stakes, Dandolos supposedly replied "Hey, it's action, isn't it?"

Last edited by poolpro2; 11-18-2019 at 10:49 PM. Reason: supposed to have a picture.

Old
  (#67)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueman View Post
I am one who cares about the pockets being too tight. I ran over the field in a tournament on gandy tables with regular pockets. But that room always played the finals on the triple shimmed practice table. So the other top player there who i ran over on the normal table earlier ran over me in the finals two sets with no problem. He played that table all the time.
Did you know in advance what table the finals would be held on?

Old
  (#68)
Dan_B
AzB Gold Member
Dan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 455

11-18-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
Dan,

That thing looks embarrassing! I make it about ten inch side pockets at the corners which are missing, maybe six inch corners, again with the cushions all butchered up. I live on a farm where nobody would see it. If you will cover the tear down, shipping, and set up, I will hide it in a barn or somewhere so people won't see it. Throw in a couple nice sticks and a nice set of balls and I'll even give you a fully cured ham.

You don't have to thank me. I am a people person and always glad to help someone recover from their mistakes!

Hu
...brings a tear too your eye does it?
Hu, I'm humbled to my very core for your reach out...
cured ham aye'
hmmm, Christmas is coming up, I'll may give you a call.

I was thinking of submitting to Dr. Dave for a prognosis,
thanks for saving me lots of greif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
Do you play on these rounded facings with 2.25 pool balls, or smaller snooker balls?

I bet with pool balls it plays a lot tougher than it looks.
yes sir, 2 and a 1/4,
is it easier than it looks?
No, however the wide mouth sides give a little back for what the corners do take away
Name:  tablepocket6_8.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  170.6 KB

]

Old
  (#69)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

11-19-2019, 02:38 AM

Most people have a vastly inflated opinion on their own games. If you're not running out regularly and stringing racks, the equipment is not to easy for you.

Old
  (#70)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

11-19-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
No, Most people do not want to play pool on big pockets. Older generations might, but, that does not mean everyone else wants that.

The Game has changed across the board!!

From my experience in the field and selling pool tables all over the country I have found from that data this: More people prefer a Pro Cut Pocket:4.5" corners and 5" sides.

Diamonds come standard this way and the 7' Diamond is one of the best selling pool tables in the business. The new Rasson tables come with the Pro Cut as well.

Not to mention the tons of threads on AZB about tightening pockets.

I am interested to see how the poll does.

Trent from Toledo
This is going to be a bias pole, I hope you know that. If you want more accurate numbers, pole the retail billiards businesses and ask them which pocket sizes they sell, then ask them if they offer Diamonds and, or, Gold Crowns for sale. AZB does not represent the even the slightest sampling of the majority of the table customers buying pool tables today.

How many customers do you sell your reconditioned Brunswick pool tables to, that are AZB members as well?

Old
  (#71)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

11-19-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
This is going to be a bias pole, I hope you know that. If you want more accurate numbers, pole the retail billiards businesses and ask them which pocket sizes they sell, then ask them if they offer Diamonds and, or, Gold Crowns for sale. AZB does not represent the even the slightest sampling of the majority of the table customers buying pool tables today.

How many customers do you sell your reconditioned Brunswick pool tables to, that are AZB members as well?

Did you actually read what the question for the Poll was??

"FOR PLAYERS AND NOT HOME RECREATIONAL BANGERS: PRO CUT POCKETS OR BUCKETS?"

It was very specific. Go back to your hole you rowdy ole Snake!

Trent from Toledo

Old
  (#72)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member

JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

11-19-2019, 07:03 AM

Whoever thought of corian rails? That’s badass. I’d love to play on that table. Good job on your life decisions Dan B

Old
  (#73)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

11-19-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Did you actually read what the question for the Poll was??

"FOR PLAYERS AND NOT HOME RECREATIONAL BANGERS: PRO CUT POCKETS OR BUCKETS?"

It was very specific. Go back to your hole you rowdy ole Snake!

Trent from Toledo
If this industry was dependent on PLAYERS buying pool tables, it would have crashed a long time ago and this game wouldn't even exist today.

Old
  (#74)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

11-19-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
If this industry was dependent on PLAYERS buying pool tables, it would have crashed a long time ago and this game wouldn't even exist today.
Argue it how ever you want, but, the question had nothing to do with recreational tables or players

It is almost like there are 2 separate sides of the business. I recognize what you are saying, but, I choose to work on commercial pool tables and do just that about 99% of the time.

Trent

Old
  (#75)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

11-19-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Argue it how ever you want, but, the question had nothing to do with recreational tables or players

It is almost like there are 2 separate sides of the business. I recognize what you are saying, but, I choose to work on commercial pool tables and do just that about 99% of the time.

Trent
And you know as well as I do, most all of your tables sold have buckets for pockets, because players don't buy tables at those price points you get for reselling restored Brunswick pool tables.

Page 5 of 16 « First 345 6715 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: