Oh Pool Gurus...

Nonyamuff

Always behind the 8-ball
Silver Member
Hello all!
I'm in the market for a new shaft. My stock 13mm Schon shaft is just too stiff for my liking. I know there are those of you that have tried many different shafts and could give me some input.

I like a somewhat flexible shaft...not Meucci flexible but a decent amount.

I have roughly $200 budget for this and would like to stay in the 12.5mm to 13mm range. Which of these would closely fulfill this? Note: I'd rather test each one for myself, but without an hour or 2 drive that is not possible. I'd like to narrow the choices down then go from there.

McDermott G-Core
Katana
Vikore
OB1 or Classic+

I'm sure there are some I missed, if you have one you like suggest it please.

Thanks for the input.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Sandpaper .... a drill ... a buddy to help hold it and sand it down to 12.5 all the way back 15 or 16 inches before it tapers up. Do a little at a time and see where you like it. Or, if you want to splurge, give it to someone with a lathe. :) Don't spend more than 30 bucks on it IMO or they saw you coming.

Then get that 200 bucks you were going to blow on another over priced shaft and take the wife or girl out a few times for a nice dinner. :thumbup:

PocketPooler

Silver Member
Sandpaper .... a drill ... a buddy to help hold it and sand it down to 12.5 all the way back 15 or 16 inches before it tapers up. Do a little at a time and see where you like it. Or, if you want to splurge, give it to someone with a lathe. :) Don't spend more than 30 bucks on it IMO or they saw you coming.

Then get that 200 bucks you were going to blow on another over priced shaft and take the wife or girl out a few times for a nice dinner. :thumbup:

Thats what I do! Drive the speed of the drill with my toe. Control the end of the shaft with my hand, and sand with the other. Works like a charm.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yup. I've made that costly mistake with buying shafts especially LD when really it is sometimes about the taper. I am not a fancy cue guy and I play with a production Joss. Had Dan Janes make an extra shaft for my player exactly like the original shaft and they are interchangeable as far as comfortability. I can't tell the difference between them. No more experimentation for me.

Nonyamuff

Always behind the 8-ball
Silver Member
Having the Schon shaft turned down could be an option. Anyone know a good cue tech in the eastern WV area?

Nonyamuff

Always behind the 8-ball
Silver Member
Unless he has moved, Cory Barnhart lives near me. I may could reach out to him.
Well crap seems I have a couple of guys close...Cory and Mike Capone.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't think I've owned a shaft that I didn't have tweaked...ALWAYS on a lathe.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I don't think I've owned a shaft that I didn't have tweaked...ALWAYS on a lathe.

What my good friend says, in spades. :smile:

Oh yes, Welcome to the forum. You'll like it here. Free beer on Thursdays, along with Bologna and onion sandwiches.
And the girls? Ooo-la-la. All three of 'em. :smile:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

Oh yes, Welcome to the forum. You'll like it here. Free beer on Thursdays, along with Bologna and onion sandwiches.

Like my ole buddy Tramp said glad to have you aboard! But if your here chasen the gals the kitchen staff will hold the onions on your Bologna sandwich;)

Nonyamuff

Always behind the 8-ball
Silver Member
Thanks for the warm reception. But if the women can't handle the onion breath...they aren't for me! :p

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member

We're frying this Bologna right?

Nonyamuff

Always behind the 8-ball
Silver Member
Well seems neither Capone or Barnhart will turn down my Schon shaft. Cory will only work on his own stuff and Mike refers me to Cory.

I really don't want to ship the shaft off to be done but it seems that may be my choice. :confused:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Well seems neither Capone or Barnhart will turn down my Schon shaft. Cory will only work on his own stuff and Mike refers me to Cory.
I really don't want to ship the shaft off to be done but it seems that may be my choice. :confused:

If you could find a local shaft shaper then you wouldn't have to ship your shaft, but don't worry, it's perfectly safe to ship a shaft to have it shaped. :smile2: