Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page That's not a break and run!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
That's not a break and run!!!
Old
  (#1)
Mkindsv
AzB Silver Member
Mkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

That's not a break and run!!! - 06-14-2018, 11:52 AM

So during League (TAP) Monday night. Shooter in question breaks, makes 2 balls on the break. Proceeds to make the 1,2,3 and then combo the 4/9...winning the game. Player says "that's a break and run" players coach doesn't mark it as a break and run and argues "I dont see that as a break and run". There are no definitions for break and run in the TAP rulebook. Who is right?

Last edited by Mkindsv; 06-14-2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Spelling grammar and sentence structure

Old
  (#2)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

06-14-2018, 11:55 AM

Hmm. If a scorebook is being kept, perhaps there should be a distinction between break and run and break & win?

Old
  (#3)
Knels
AzB Silver Member
Knels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond reputeKnels has a reputation beyond repute

06-14-2018, 11:56 AM

Player for sure, don't know what coach is smoking.

Old
  (#4)
PoolBum
Abracadabra!

PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

06-14-2018, 12:21 PM

Unless there are league rules specifying otherwise, that's a break and run. If you break and run out without your opponent ever coming to the table, it is a break and run, short racks included.

"He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know, but could have learned from books; that the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good...and that perhaps the day would come when, for the bane and the enlightening of men, it would rouse up its rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city."

Old
  (#5)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-14-2018, 01:38 PM

It’s a paid break and run in the league I play, No idea about other leagues.

Freddie <~~~ pay day, baby!

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#6)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

06-14-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkindsv View Post
So during League (TAP) Monday night. Shooter in question breaks, makes 2 balls on the break. Proceeds to make the 1,2,3 and then combo the 4/9...winning the game. Player says "that's a break and run" players coach doesn't mark it as a break and run and argues "I dont see that as a break and run". There are no definitions for break and run in the TAP rulebook. Who is right?
If there are no league rules about it, and there is no difference between other types of wins, would likely be a break and run if there is nothing else.

So they got 5 balls and then the 9, that is probably enough for a break and run. What if they made 5 balls then ran out the 6,7,8,9 for the win? Would be same thing.

In USAPL rules there are 3 "special" marks for scoring in 9 ball and they specify how many balls you need to pocket.

Break & Run – When a player breaks and runs the rack (pockets a minimum of 5 balls) to win the game, put “BR” in the game score box and simply count as 14 points when totaling the “Total Score.”

Table Run – When the “Non breaking player” runs the table (pockets a minimum of 5 balls) on their first turn at the table. Mark “TR” in the game score box and count as 14 points when totaling the score.

Win Zip – Winning player wins on their second turn or more and holds the losing player to zero points. Mark “WZ” in the game score box and count as 14 when totaling the score.

So in USAPL what the player did was a break and run since they pocketed 5 balls.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#7)
West Point 1987
On the Hill, Out of Gas
West Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond repute

06-14-2018, 02:25 PM

I'm pretty sure Earl's 10 (really 11) pack in the Million Dollar Challenge had several 9 on the snaps and shortcuts...almost as many as 9 ball run outs?? Somebody on here might know/chime in?

Bill "Woodeye" Woods
What's in my (Instroke) Case?
Playing Cue: Schon SL19/STL17, with Cuetec Cynergy CF shaft
Jump/Break: McDermott Stinger NGO1

Other Cues Owned:
-R- 26 1/2 Tribute cue w/Gulyassy SPTX Shaft
Gulyassy PHX, with SPT shaft
Joss J15 (stolen)
Joss J11 (was a break cue for 15 years, now my son's player)
McDermott D-8 (sold, 1989)
McDermott D-23 (sold, 1991)
McDermott D-6 (sold, 1990)
GEM (Gary Medlin) Szambotti Tribute (retired)

Old
  (#8)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

06-14-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBum View Post
Unless there are league rules specifying otherwise, that's a break and run. If you break and run out without your opponent ever coming to the table, it is a break and run, short racks included.
Wouldn't that a 9 on the break also a B & R?

Old
  (#9)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

06-14-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Point 1987 View Post
I'm pretty sure Earl's 10 (really 11) pack in the Million Dollar Challenge had several 9 on the snaps and shortcuts...almost as many as 9 ball run outs?? Somebody on here might know/chime in?
Yes he had a few 9 balls go in on the break. If I was the insurer, I would make sure that those did not count, or at the most one 9 on the break of the 10. Don't need to end the run, but it would not count towards the count. I would have specified a minimum ball count run out needed to be counted. It's not very hard to end up with 3-4 early 9 balls in 10 racks or more. Especially with people not being careful with the rack as in those days many were not.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#10)
Mkindsv
AzB Silver Member
Mkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond repute

06-14-2018, 07:06 PM

I personally believe it was a break and run and should have been marked that way...either way I was overruled, it happens I suppose. There are three options in scoring...Standard Win, 9 ball break, and Break and Run. Though it is an early 9, I would consider it a break and run because the other guy never touched his cue. JMHO

Old
  (#11)
trob
AzB Silver Member
trob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2018, 03:03 AM

I know in my local Apa league they don’t count and early 9 ball ( 9 ball pocketed with other balls still on the table) as a break and run

Player........... road line with 12.9 revo and 314/3
Break cue.... bk3
jump cue..... Fury
Case............ Molinari butterfly

If you live with one foot in the future and one in the past you'll piss all over the present.

Old
  (#12)
Nostroke
AzB Gold Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
06-15-2018, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trob View Post
I know in my local Apa league they don’t count and early 9 ball ( 9 ball pocketed with other balls still on the table) as a break and run
If it was after a 3-pak-It would now be a 4 pack of course so yes.

BTW- what one of you is arguing is exactly what the non pool playing Insurance company argued so as NOT to pay Earl.

Last edited by Nostroke; 06-15-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Old
  (#13)
trob
AzB Silver Member
trob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke View Post
If it was after a 3-pak-It would now be a 4 pack of course so yes.

BTW- what one? of you is arguing is exactly what the non pool playing Insurance company argued so as NOT to pay Earl.
Just a run in leagues. I think In the insurance situation with Earl it was never stipulated if that was a run or not. I could be wrong

Player........... road line with 12.9 revo and 314/3
Break cue.... bk3
jump cue..... Fury
Case............ Molinari butterfly

If you live with one foot in the future and one in the past you'll piss all over the present.

Old
  (#14)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2018, 10:21 AM

I’ve told this story before....but I think it fits here.

I was at a nine ball tournament years ago....races to seven.
Before the tournament started....the owner, a good guy, says...
“First player to run the set out gets a $1,000 bonus.”
....but then he thought about it and said “If you make the nine off the break, it doesn’t
count as part of a seven-pack.”

So I thought about it....went over to him and told him to remove me from consideration
for the bonus.
He was astounded....he asked “Why?”
I told him Imdon’t feel like being in a situation where I run a six-pack....
....and then hope I don’t make the nine on the break.

He thought about it and announced to the room.....
“Nine on the break counts as part of the pack!”

Like I said, he was a good guy.....and reason carried the day

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#15)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Point 1987 View Post
Earl finished it with an early 9.
Jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: