Unknown pawn shop find

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.832 5/16-18 piloted joint. 1.260 butt diameter. 28 1/2” long. No original shaft. It came with a non original shaft. It had a linen wrap in rough condition which I removed. I thought it possibly might be a full splice but it isn’t. I’m going to refinish and make a new shaft with matching ring work.

Any ideas on the maker?

1.6” Delrin buttcap with .630 tenon.

Attachments

• CD9D659E-9443-4F03-90AD-BD733989755C.jpg
    CD9D659E-9443-4F03-90AD-BD733989755C.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 1,778
  • D97C1F2E-6FED-434C-A013-3EE7FAA1016B.jpg
    D97C1F2E-6FED-434C-A013-3EE7FAA1016B.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 1,778
  • F8BEB363-9899-4349-8BDF-6825ECEE89C1.jpg
    F8BEB363-9899-4349-8BDF-6825ECEE89C1.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 1,770
Last edited:

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
" May be an early JOSS WEST-
Bill Stroud posts here-
Send Bill a pm-
ask him to take a look

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
If it's a piloted 5/16 by 18 joint pin, I'd be more quick to suggest a Joss (When Dan and Bill were together), rather than a JossWest, or Tim Scruggs, for that matter. Joss used the 5/16 by 18 in the early days. This, of course, does not eliminate some others.

All the best,
WW

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
You sure that 18 thread? Looks a little wide threaded but could use a better pic.

Real nice find whatever it ends up being

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
Are those engraved initials just above where the black and brown boxes meet?

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a 5/16-18 pin.

There are no initials anywhere, the finish is in rough shape which may be what you’re seeing.

I don’t know how to do a member search so if anyone wants to PM Bill Stroud go ahead, thanks.

I paid $20.

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
Once you get that yellowed finish off , those veneers are going to look great. I hope you find out who made it.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It’s a 5/16-18 pin.

There are no initials anywhere, the finish is in rough shape which may be what you’re seeing.

I don’t know how to do a member search so if anyone wants to PM Bill Stroud go ahead, thanks.

I paid $20.

" Can you sell ????
As-Is"
of course

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can PM an offer but realistically it needs a total refinish with new shafts. When I get done with it it will be pristine. And ready for a new life at hitting the balls.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I highly doubt it is a Joss. Construction looks all wrong. And Joss rarely used metal rings.

Butt cap looks like plastic, maybe ABS, not delrin. Can we get a better pic of that? If delrin, it would be held on by the weight bolt most likely. Can we get a pic of that?

Is that phenolic between the handle and the forearm?

Darn nice find. Hope we can figure it out.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I highly doubt it is a Joss. Construction looks all wrong. And Joss rarely used metal rings.

Butt cap looks like plastic, maybe ABS, not delrin. Can we get a better pic of that? If delrin, it would be held on by the weight bolt most likely. Can we get a pic of that?

Is that phenolic between the handle and the forearm?

Darn nice find. Hope we can figure it out.

Joss rarely used metal rings, correct. But in that rare occasion, they used aluminum, which this appears to be.

Where do you see a butt cap in the pictures? I don't see one.

It was a pretty wild guess, but I don't know others who did piloted 5/16 X 18 joint pins. Also, the space between the points at where the wrap would be is exactly where Joss would have done them. They usually didn't quite come together closely.

This is a good one, I have to admit. As I said, it doesn't eliminate others.

All the best,
WW

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buttcap is held on by a Phillips screw into the tenon, not the usual machine thread screw into the weight bolt. I’m guessing on it being Delrin, it’s fairly dirty and I haven’t cleaned it up yet.

Attachments

• 32F638A9-3D0D-4BC7-A9EE-4421B1F12EC0.jpg
    32F638A9-3D0D-4BC7-A9EE-4421B1F12EC0.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 1,567
  • CE0D8865-27D0-4AB2-A17A-3472085D883F.jpg
    CE0D8865-27D0-4AB2-A17A-3472085D883F.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 1,553

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Butt cap sitting next to cue in third pic. Scroll right to see it.

Also, never saw a butt cap tenon like that on a Joss.

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chopdoc it is a 2” piece of brown linen phenolic at the A joint. On first look I thought it was just wood but after your question I sanded it a little and saw it is phenolic.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK. That does look like delrin. Thanks for the better pic.

Butt cap it is held on by the bumper?

And those look like glue reliefs in the tenon...delrin does not really glue to anything as I understand. So this is strange.

Hard to imagine a quality cue constructed that way...but I guess I have seen crazier things.

It is a very cool cue, bit I certainly didn't expect a wood screw and no bolt holding on the delrin.

This is me being confused....:confused:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chopdoc it is a 2” piece of brown linen phenolic at the A joint. On first look I thought it was just wood but after your question I sanded it a little and saw it is phenolic.

Thanks. I thought it looked like brown phenolic.

That might help ID this as it is a particular construction.

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glue doesn’t like Delrin but yes they are glue grooves on the tenon. That small screw goes through the bumper and holds the buttcap on.
So many cues made through the years with no markings. All the maker had to do was sign it under the wrap. SMH.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Glue doesn’t like Delrin but yes they are glue grooves on the tenon. That small screw goes through the bumper and holds the buttcap on.
So many cues made through the years with no markings. All the maker had to do was sign it under the wrap. SMH.

Not threading delrin butt plate does not make sense to me.