Affordable pocket blockers

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you feel there is a market for pocket blockers in the pool/billiards industry?

I understand that this is a niche of a niche market, many pool players aren't interested in carom (though nine-ball players SHOULD be interested in practicing with blocked side pockets), and pocket blocked pool table is NOT the same as a real carom table with Simonis 300.

However, the only solutions I can find are either replacing the rails or buying a pocket blocking system for many hundreds of dollars. My target MSRP would be closer to $50, and the performance would be "acceptable".

What do you think? Is it worth pursuing?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I’ve actually wondered about that myself as I would like to try the game out and have no clue where to find a table near me. I would spend 50 or so for something that gave me a decent approximation in a heartbeat.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Do you feel there is a market for pocket blockers in the pool/billiards industry?

I understand that this is a niche of a niche market, many pool players aren't interested in carom (though nine-ball players SHOULD be interested in practicing with blocked side pockets), and pocket blocked pool table is NOT the same as a real carom table with Simonis 300.

However, the only solutions I can find are either replacing the rails or buying a pocket blocking system for many hundreds of dollars. My target MSRP would be closer to $50, and the performance would be "acceptable".

What good does it do, to have, 'pocket-blockers' for any size pool table if you use standard size 3 cushion balls, (61.5 mm)? HELLO, the rails on a pool table are set for, (2 1/4" pool balls)! If you can find, (if they even make them) 2 1/4" 3C balls then you will have a slight idea of how the game is played! On a POOL table.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Well if I had access to these blockers I would just use 2 of my cue balls and another rando. In my mind what he’s talking about is an affordable solution to get an idea of what the game is like, nothing in the scenario is perfect or pure ; )

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What good does it do, to have, 'pocket-blockers' for any size pool table if you use standard size 3 cushion balls, (61.5 mm)? HELLO, the rails on a pool table are set for, (2 1/4" pool balls)! If you can find, (if they even make them) 2 1/4" 3C balls then you will have a slight idea of how the game is played! On a POOL table.

Well if I had access to these blockers I would just use 2 of my cue balls and another rando. In my mind what he’s talking about is an affordable solution to get an idea of what the game is like, nothing in the scenario is perfect or pure ; )

Agreed, better than nothing. As mentioned, the nearest billiards table to me is 5 hours away.

A little of something is better than all of nothing :thumbup:

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I would suggest maybe a measles cue ball, a standard cue ball and a 3 ball. Should work fine I guess but I'm not a 3 Cushion Player...

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I would suggest maybe a measles cue ball, a standard cue ball and a 3 ball. Should work fine I guess but I'm not a 3 Cushion Player...

For the last 20-25 years in 3C, we have been using a, white CB, Yellow CB and the red ball.

Just use the CB, & 1 ball as cue balls and 3 ball.

The MAIN element is, the rails have to coincide with the size of the balls!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with this, from what I remember, is that every table has different pocket configurations, so you are talking about a universal set of Carom plugs? if you go ahead, also make them portable with a travel case because many will not have a home tables but want to bring them to wherever they might play. for $50 I would buy a set if they are decent.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Another issue is cheap pool cloth
Even using pool balls, make a half ball hit and the cb doesnt travel well

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
The problem with this, from what I remember, is that every table has different pocket configurations, so you are talking about a universal set of Carom plugs? if you go ahead, also make them portable with a travel case because many will not have a home tables but want to bring them to wherever they might play. for $50 I would buy a set if they are decent.

The price for a VERY good set, that adjust to ANY pocket size are around, $1,000.00 USD.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2054234684690349&set=a.307206309393204&type=3&eid=ARCmNtKur2K3bg9HKK2Z2NFr-Qjf9h1EdlcfLVKjOmDWXRjBo2P16RiFr1RSaOTJwhTE-NWY2jZJJECu

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a novel idea that will allow for adjustments for different size pockets and be affordable. They will be for 2 1/4 in balls.

I have to make them and see if they work. I expect many issues before they get past the prototype stage, as is reality.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes i remember talking to a few guys about 7 years ago when i had a GC at my home up north and the price was in the range of $300 to $600 for a customer carom plug set- each set was hand made by one person, like a higher end custom cue. Curious as to a $50 set would look/perform like compared to a set costing $1,000. today. The sets I looked at had actual rail blocks replacing where the pockets openings were cut and could be adjusted for different size pockets/rail heights. For $50 you could not match that type of design or material, so curious as to how these $50 sets could possibly be produced? If he gets it to a point where he thinks it works I would love to see a video of the trial set once he has patent registry to protect his idea.

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Would they be different than these? https://www.pooldawg.com/practice-pro-pocket-reducers

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$8.33 per pocket is an ambitious (bordering on ridiculous) price point. I presume you'll want free shipping too?

Honestly, no easily available product has come to market yet because plugs are no good. You still have dead points on the rails, you can't use the correct balls and the bed cloth or the pool table is silly for 3c.

Stop your crying about any is better than none. You can already play 3c on a pool table, with no additional purchase or modifications.

Did you forget that buying crappy products leads to having crappy experiences?

Play some crappy 3c on your pool table and enjoy it.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
$8.33 per pocket is an ambitious (bordering on ridiculous) price point. I presume you'll want free shipping too?

Honestly, no easily available product has come to market yet because plugs are no good. You still have dead points on the rails, you can't use the correct balls and the bed cloth or the pool table is silly for 3c.

Stop your crying about any is better than none. You can already play 3c on a pool table, with no additional purchase or modifications.

Did you forget that buying crappy products leads to having crappy experiences?

Play some crappy 3c on your pool table and enjoy it.

Is that you Jimmy?