Reload this Page Solo 8 ball practice game
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Solo 8 ball practice game
Old
  (#1)
Mkindsv
AzB Silver Member
Mkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Solo 8 ball practice game - 09-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Have had issues trying to get motivated to practice for an 8 ball competition I have approaching in November

So I came up with a game that holds my attention while practicing 8 ball and has been actually pretty fun.

So you start out with a normal rack and break. Then your job is to pick either stripes or solids and run the rack (no ball in hand). If you get out, you spot the 8 and run out the other suit. If you get all the way out in 1 inning, it is 1 point. If you dont get out the entire suit, you switch suits and try to get out, switching suits each time you miss until you get out, spot the 8 and run the other suit. Your score is the innings it takes to get out on both stripes and solids. goal being the lowest score possible.

I played three sets to ten yesterday with a low score of 19...high score of 27 ish...the break really matters...position play really matters, but safeties, not so much.

I was toying with the idea of the 1 inning games not counting as a point, but a negative point, which would have an effect like getting a birdie in golf.

Just thought some of you might enjoy this. Let me know what you think. Any other awesome 8 ball solo practice games that are fun and keep you mentally engaged??? I am always looking for ways to practice better yet still have fun.

Old
  (#2)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkindsv View Post
Have had issues trying to get motivated to practice for an 8 ball competition I have approaching in November

So I came up with a game that holds my attention while practicing 8 ball and has been actually pretty fun.

So you start out with a normal rack and break. Then your job is to pick either stripes or solids and run the rack (no ball in hand). If you get out, you spot the 8 and run out the other suit. If you get all the way out in 1 inning, it is 1 point. If you dont get out the entire suit, you switch suits and try to get out, switching suits each time you miss until you get out, spot the 8 and run the other suit. Your score is the innings it takes to get out on both stripes and solids. goal being the lowest score possible.

I played three sets to ten yesterday with a low score of 19...high score of 27 ish...the break really matters...position play really matters, but safeties, not so much.

I was toying with the idea of the 1 inning games not counting as a point, but a negative point, which would have an effect like getting a birdie in golf.

Just thought some of you might enjoy this. Let me know what you think. Any other awesome 8 ball solo practice games that are fun and keep you mentally engaged??? I am always looking for ways to practice better yet still have fun.
I don't do this by points, but usually when playing 8 ball alone and I run out one side, I shoot the other side in order like 9 ball. This makes you play position off the 8 for another ball also, which is a trick many players suggest doing to keep from missing the 8 ball as much or from scratching, you play position for some other ball off the 8, or 9 if it's 9 ball.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#3)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkindsv View Post

I like that as a practice. The scoring will help you bear down.

I've previously recommended "progressive ghost" at eight ball where you remove some number of balls after the break and try to run out, adjusting the number removed depending on success/failure. For beginners I think your game has that advantage that the player has to deal with clusters in the early part of the rack and then will have a potential run out at the end.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#4)
pab
Center ball can do it all
pab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond reputepab has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2019, 01:22 PM

I like that game as well and I'm not much of an 8-ball fan.

With regard to the scoring, what about 0 as a score for a runout instead of a negative number?

Just thinking out loud.

Playing Cue - Jacoby, Edge Hybrid shaft
Break Cue - Jacoby, Heavy Hitter

Old
  (#5)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
I like that game as well and I'm not much of an 8-ball fan.

With regard to the scoring, what about 0 as a score for a runout instead of a negative number?

Just thinking out loud.
So that would just be the number of misses in the rack.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#6)
strmanglr scott
AzB Silver Member
strmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2019, 03:26 PM

However you put pressure on yourself is key. That usually means tracking the practice somehow.

You have to put the pressure on though. Imo, that's why playing someone better is such a great opportunity to improvement. You put yourself under much more critical standards and focus so much better.

How many times have you played a weaker player at just above their speed? For me, too many times. When it's just practice, nothing on the line.

However a player can make practice demanding of themselves and hold the interest is critical.

The rail is your best friend.

Old
  (#7)
TheBasics
AzB Silver Member
TheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2019, 03:41 PM

Mkindsv, Howdy;

I'll have to try that next week. I'm just back from today's session (free tables today), may
give it a shot tomorrow before the tourney.

hank

Old
  (#8)
fiftyyardline
AzB Silver Member

fiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
However you put pressure on yourself is key. That usually means tracking the practice somehow.

You have to put the pressure on though. Imo, that's why playing someone better is such a great opportunity to improvement. You put yourself under much more critical standards and focus so much better.

How many times have you played a weaker player at just above their speed? For me, too many times. When it's just practice, nothing on the line.

However a player can make practice demanding of themselves and hold the interest is critical.
When practicing against a known weaker opponent, give them some weight and play for something, even if very cheap, so you still have to concentrate and bear down to win.

Old
  (#9)
EddieBme
AzB Silver Member
EddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2019, 04:00 PM

I talked to an instructor, (very well known), and he did tell me to play in as many tournaments as I possibly could. No matter what the amount was, from $2.00 to $100, (as much as you could afford) and play for a cheap amount, as often as you can, and you'll see a definite improvement in a short period of time.

Old
  (#10)
ctyhntr
RIP Ginky
ctyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2019, 04:17 PM

Your concept fits in with APA scoring. In APA, scoring if you broke and ran out before your opponent gets to the table, it could be considered a 0 inning or 1 inning game.

For those who are not capable of running, keeping track of innings is a good way to gauge progress and skill range. 5 game running average, which is the maximum number of games in APA (race of 5).

How about a raw and adjusted score? Your exercise only measure shooting and positioning, no safeties.

My ego is writing checks that my stroke can't cash.

Old
  (#11)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

09-09-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieBme View Post
I talked to an instructor, (very well known), and he did tell me to play in as many tournaments as I possibly could. No matter what the amount was, from $2.00 to $100, (as much as you could afford) and play for a cheap amount, as often as you can, and you'll see a definite improvement in a short period of time.
This.
AIso if you can find a person that plays 2 levels above you
on the ABCDEFG scale that will play really cheap sets
regularly, do that for a year or two until you can beat them.
Solo practice is only is a small part of the equation.

Old
  (#12)
softshot
Simplify
softshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

09-09-2019, 04:41 PM

I practice 8 ball by playing what I call stripes vs solids... stripes always tries to get out at all costs.. solids plays safe and ducks until all his balls are free and then tries to run out... since starting this my safety game has substantially improved

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help..

Old
  (#13)
Pete
AzB Silver Member
Pete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2019, 07:04 AM

I prefer Short Rack 8 Ball, and 7 solids, the 8 and 9 (9 is a "blocker Ball).

Ball in Hand...

Thanks for this idea!
Old
  (#14)
atlas333
AzB Silver Member
atlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond reputeatlas333 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this idea! - 09-10-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softshot View Post
I practice 8 ball by playing what I call stripes vs solids... stripes always tries to get out at all costs.. solids plays safe and ducks until all his balls are free and then tries to run out... since starting this my safety game has substantially improved
This sounds great! I have almost no safety skills and have been practicing solo 8 ball forever and never thought of this. Can't wait to try this tonight.

Old
  (#15)
Mkindsv
AzB Silver Member
Mkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyhntr View Post
Your concept fits in with APA scoring. In APA, scoring if you broke and ran out before your opponent gets to the table, it could be considered a 0 inning or 1 inning game.

For those who are not capable of running, keeping track of innings is a good way to gauge progress and skill range. 5 game running average, which is the maximum number of games in APA (race of 5).

How about a raw and adjusted score? Your exercise only measure shooting and positioning, no safeties.
I am with ya on the safeties thing. The whole reason for keeping a score is progressive inmprovement. Always working for a better score. Better practice makes better play. But the idea was to have something tangible to work against...obviously a 10 in a ten game set would be perfect, but I am just going to say not many are going to break and run whole racks ten in a row...so there will always be room for improvement. Thanks for your comment!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: