The best of 2 out of 3 falls or to a TV time limit...
Old
  (#16)
poolpro2
AzB Silver Member
poolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

The best of 2 out of 3 falls or to a TV time limit... - 09-10-2019, 05:46 PM

With referee Sandy Barr.

Roddy started in Portland, I do believe.

Stan Staziak and his dreaded Heart Punch. We had Jimmy Snuka up here, Playboy Buddy Rose, Dutch Savage and Rip Oliver.

They held matches at the armory.

Awesome!

I watch a man shoot pool for an hour. If he misses more than one shot I know I can beat him.
-Luther Lassiter

When asked by a fellow player how he could once play for millions and now be playing for such small stakes, Dandolos supposedly replied "Hey, it's action, isn't it?"

Old
  (#17)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom haney View Post
You and I watched the same wrestling. Bruno. Flair. Bob Bachland,Steele, Batman.
Yes we did.

Some great memories from childhood are watching WWF with my grandfather on his black and white TV set.

I also watched the Pirates with him. I was only about six years old when Roberto Clemente died, but I remember it.

Bob Prince on KDKA.

Myron Cope.

Pittsburghese. (yes, I speak it)

The Steel Curtain.

Super Bowls.

Terrible Towel.

Immaculate Reception.

Primanti Bros.

The O.

In my personal life...

Lee Ann in the back of Bucky's Trans Am....

Wolfman, The Screw Crew...some of them died young.

Playing pool at the Cue and Cushion and the Golden Cue.

Visiting Paul Mottey's shop. He wanted to buy my Joss.

Green Man's Tunnel. (Google that one) https://www.google.com/search?q=Gree...w=1920&bih=969

Corvette Hollow.

Kennywood.

Century 3 mall....saw it built...now it's done.

Watching the Steelers practice at St Vincent College...my first college.

Iron City Beer

My first wife. Met her when she was 15 and I was 16. My heart will never recover from that loss. Just moved on. Learned. Grew up some. Perhaps I am less of a dumbass...maybe.

I grew up in a log cabin in the woods way outside the city. I did live in the heart of the city as an adult. I was and always will be a Pittsburgher. But I will never go back again.

I think this triggered some memories.

It's a Burgh thing.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#18)
Hunter
The King of Memes
Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000
Location: Arizona: Land of a Half Million Illegal Immigrants and a "dry heat"...

09-10-2019, 06:56 PM

My mom actually influenced my love of big time wrestling. True story, Mom was watching Dory Funk wrestle Gorgeous George (who was one of her favorites) one night and Dory got George down and was pummeling him pretty bad by one of the turnbuckles. Mom suddenly jumped up, ran to the ring and stuck her cigarette on Dory's back. He jumped up and was going to chase her, but fortunately the other wrestlers restrained him.

I got to watch a lot of wrestlers throughout the years. From Verne Gagne and Nick Bockwinkel's time to John Cena and everything in between. I lost my friend who I watched wrestling with every weekend for years a few years ago and it just isn't the same, so I've finally retired from being an avid fan. God bless them all, they provided a lot of entertainment over the decades!

"I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain it to you"...

Old
  (#19)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member
tom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
Yes we did.

Some great memories from childhood are watching WWF with my grandfather on his black and white TV set.

I also watched the Pirates with him. I was only about six years old when Roberto Clemente died, but I remember it.

Bob Prince on KDKA.

Myron Cope.

Pittsburghese. (yes, I speak it)

The Steel Curtain.

Super Bowls.

Terrible Towel.

Immaculate Reception.

Primanti Bros.

The O.

In my personal life...

Lee Ann in the back of Bucky's Trans Am....

Wolfman, The Screw Crew...some of them died young.

Playing pool at the Cue and Cushion and the Golden Cue.

Visiting Paul Mottey's shop. He wanted to buy my Joss.

Green Man's Tunnel. (Google that one) https://www.google.com/search?q=Gree...w=1920&bih=969

Corvette Hollow.

Kennywood.

Century 3 mall....saw it built...now it's done.

Watching the Steelers practice at St Vincent College...my first college.

Iron City Beer

My first wife. Met her when she was 15 and I was 16. My heart will never recover from that loss. Just moved on. Learned. Grew up some. Perhaps I am less of a dumbass...maybe.

I grew up in a log cabin in the woods way outside the city. I did live in the heart of the city as an adult. I was and always will be a Pittsburgher. But I will never go back again.

I think this triggered some memories.

It's a Burgh thing.

I have a real nice Mottey. My most expensive stick.

God bless each and every one of you

Old
  (#20)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member
tom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
My mom actually influenced my love of big time wrestling. True story, Mom was watching Dory Funk wrestle Gorgeous George (who was one of her favorites) one night and Dory got George down and was pummeling him pretty bad by one of the turnbuckles. Mom suddenly jumped up, ran to the ring and stuck her cigarette on Dory's back. He jumped up and was going to chase her, but fortunately the other wrestlers restrained him.

I got to watch a lot of wrestlers throughout the years. From Verne Gagne and Nick Bockwinkel's time to John Cena and everything in between. I lost my friend who I watched wrestling with every weekend for years a few years ago and it just isn't the same, so I've finally retired from being an avid fan. God bless them all, they provided a lot of entertainment over the decades!
I got to see some film of old wrestling from Chicago in the 50s in the early 60s.
Gorgeous George George in his prime. Lou Thesz. A young Pat O'Connor.

Old
  (#21)
Slide Rule
NPR Commies Garbage Skum
Slide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibSuperstar View Post
How many folks here watched wrestling during the '50s and '60s? Though it was before
my time I developed a strong interest in recent years, particularly Capitol Wrestling
which was the Northeast territory promoted by Vincent J. McMahon and evolved into
what is now known as WWE today.

I try to make all the OSU Michigan matches with two of my brothers.

I wrestled in the 60s. Watched World Cup in Toledo 11 times or so.
Sat behind Dan Gable in the stands and listened to his commentary
about upcoming matches. He nailed it. Gable is the greatest of all time.

TV and Arena wrestling often uses wrestlers. Often champions like my
brothers' friend and teammate Wojo. Greg Wojciechowski became a
teacher at Libby HS used wrestling to supplement his income. I met
the kid when he was about 14 at the Dick Torio gym, he said show me
some moves. I did and he had them in minutes.

WWF, on the other hand, is Hollywood. Lights camera action.

Old
  (#22)
decent dennis
AzB Silver Member
decent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond reputedecent dennis has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-11-2019, 06:09 AM

Dory and Terry Funk, Jack Brisco, Pat O'conner, Gene Kiniski,Johnny Valentine,Black Jack Lanza and Pretty Boy Bobby Heenan were just a few.

Old
  (#23)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom haney View Post
I have a real nice Mottey. My most expensive stick.
I should have got one back then. Didn't. I was stooopid.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#24)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 09:26 AM

Lex Mayers was a big promoter of wrestling in the 50s 60s in Columbus Ohio . I used to live next to Don Eagles familyin the North end. I also heard some stories of a local guy who was a real tush hog who would go in a restaurant the wrestlers went to after the bars closed called Smittys, it was downtown by the greyhound bus station. The guys name was Fred Beck and they said he would take some of the wrestlers food when it came .
A few of the toughest of them went outside with him and he beat them up. Then he beat up 2 at one time and they called in Wild Bill Miller.
My buddy said it was one of the bloodiest fights he ever saw and that Beck and Miller finally decided to call it a draw.

Old
  (#25)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member

09-11-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by book collector View Post
Lex Mayers was a big promoter of wrestling in the 50s 60s in Columbus Ohio . I used to live next to Don Eagles familyin the North end. I also heard some stories of a local guy who was a real tush hog who would go in a restaurant the wrestlers went to after the bars closed called Smittys, it was downtown by the greyhound bus station. The guys name was Fred Beck and they said he would take some of the wrestlers food when it came .
A few of the toughest of them went outside with him and he beat them up. Then he beat up 2 at one time and they called in Wild Bill Miller.
My buddy said it was one of the bloodiest fights he ever saw and that Beck and Miller finally decided to call it a draw.

He wouldn't have done that to Reggie Lisowski.

Old
  (#26)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

09-11-2019, 01:30 PM

I grew up in N.J. in the 50's.
I would watch wrestling on a small grainy black & white T.V. from Sunnyside gardens in N.Y.
I remember Killer Kawalski (who had a wrestling school in N.J. in the 80's)
Haystacks Calhoun
Antonida Rocca.
Thats about all I remember and I probably misspelled all the names.

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#27)
jokrswylde
AzB Silver Member
jokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 01:56 PM

Where I'm from it was the old mid-south wrestling and the NWA. Gordon Solie, Bullet Bob and the Armstrongs, Fritz and the rest of the Von Eriks. Grew up watching the FreeBirds , Flair, Dusty Rhoads, Burrhead Jones, Lord Humongous. They would come twice a year to a little civic center in my hometown.

When we got cable, I was introduced to the world of the (then) WWF. One of my earliest wrestling memories is seeing the Iron Sheikh Win the belt from Bob Backlund, and dropping it to the "Real American" Hulk Hogan soon thereafter. Andre, Junk Yard Dog, George the Animal Steel, Ricky Steamboat, Jimmy Snuka, Polish Power Ivan Putzki, Piper's Pit ...man the early '80's were my Golden Age of wrestling.

Old
  (#28)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-11-2019, 02:06 PM

I remember Texas and Mid-South wrestling in the early days of cable TV. I saw one of the
bloodiest matches I ever saw on I think Texas wrestling, it was a Fork match between
Dusty Rhodes and Abdullah the Butcher. Rhodes was a notorious bleeder anyway and
Abdullah was just crazy. It was a great match. I used to love those special novelty matches,
like the Fork match, the Larriet, match, the leather strap match, the ladder
match, I remember Ronnie Garvin in a taped fist match, and of course the cage match

Old
  (#29)
philly
AzB Silver Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
I would watch wrestling on a small grainy black & white T.V. from Sunnyside gardens in N.Y.
Haystacks Calhoun
Antonida Rocca.
Similar stories. Watch on black and white with my Grandmother, came here from Russia in 1910. She loved wrestling.

A few more names: Haystack Calhoun, Bo Bo Brazil of head but fame, The Beast, Argentina Apollo, Baron Miguel Secluna, Gorilla Monsoon, Chief Jay Strongbow.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Old
  (#30)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member

09-11-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
Haystacks Calhoun
Antonida Rocca.
Good post. And you did get Haystacks Calhoun right.

Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: