Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Golden Age Wrestling
Page 3 of 5 123 45

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member
tom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-11-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokrswylde View Post
Where I'm from it was the old mid-south wrestling and the NWA. Gordon Solie, Bullet Bob and the Armstrongs, Fritz and the rest of the Von Eriks. Grew up watching the FreeBirds , Flair, Dusty Rhoads, Burrhead Jones, Lord Humongous. They would come twice a year to a little civic center in my hometown.

When we got cable, I was introduced to the world of the (then) WWF. One of my earliest wrestling memories is seeing the Iron Sheikh Win the belt from Bob Backlund, and dropping it to the "Real American" Hulk Hogan soon thereafter. Andre, Junk Yard Dog, George the Animal Steel, Ricky Steamboat, Jimmy Snuka, Polish Power Ivan Putzki, Piper's Pit ...man the early '80's were my Golden Age of wrestling.

The WWF ended up signing most of the mid-south guys so I got to see most of those characters. Don't remember Jones or Humongous.

God bless each and every one of you

Old
  (#32)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member
tom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 04:24 PM

Anybody remember when Killer Kowalski accidently knocked Yukon Eric ear off?

God bless each and every one of you

Old
  (#33)
TwinkleToes
AzB Silver Member
TwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 04:42 PM

Watched it with my dad a lot in the 1960's. After getting to be around 15 years old or so, I stopped watching it because I couldn't stand how fake it was. I guess I just don't like having my intelligence insulted on a regular basis, as often as wrestling does.

I told my dad one time, those guys have pitiful boxing fundamentals, because they slam their foot down on the ground as they're hitting the other man. You'll never, ever, at any time, see a boxer do that, because it would cause a loss of energy transfer.

I understood they did it though, because they thought it made it look, and sound more realistic. Yeah...maybe to a person who hasn't got the slightest idea of how to throw a punch!

Finally, I just decided that WWE wrestling is about the stupidest thing in the history of mankind! ...not including liberals, that is!

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 09-11-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Old
  (#34)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

09-11-2019, 05:02 PM

Mid 80's in N.J. wrestling was on once a week.
Hulk Hogan was big at that time.
Myself and Billy G. would get stoned on pot and watch it.
We knew it was fake as hell but the weed made it really fun to watch.

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#35)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-11-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkleToes View Post
Watched it with my dad a lot in the 1960's. After getting to be around 15 years old or so, I stopped watching it because I couldn't stand how fake it was. I guess I just don't like having my intelligence insulted on a regular basis, as often as wrestling does.

I told my dad one time, those guys have pitiful boxing fundamentals, because they slam their foot down on the ground as they're hitting the other man. You'll never, ever, at any time, see a boxer do that, because it would cause a loss of energy transfer.

I understood they did it though, because they thought it made it look, and sound more realistic. Yeah...maybe to a person who hasn't got the slightest idea of how to throw a punch!

Finally, I just decided that WWE wrestling is about the stupidest thing in the history of mankind! ...not including liberals, that is!
So you only watch documentaries?
You know most movies and weekly television is fake.
Of course rasslin’ is (and was) fake. You had to know how to have fun with it.
There was always a villain, a hero, sometimes a heroine, and lately there is sometimes
an anti-hero, someone like Steve Austin, after her was Stunning Steve, and there is
always comedy. They are basically soap operas for guys. Of course they are fake, but
they’re fun. Just take it for what it is and don’t complain “‘cause it ain’t real”
It’s not a real sport, it’s a melodrama with some athletic components, and it goes good
with a couple of beers on a Friday night in your local arena.

childhood and adult memories
Old
  (#36)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

childhood and adult memories - 09-11-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
My mom actually influenced my love of big time wrestling. True story, Mom was watching Dory Funk wrestle Gorgeous George (who was one of her favorites) one night and Dory got George down and was pummeling him pretty bad by one of the turnbuckles. Mom suddenly jumped up, ran to the ring and stuck her cigarette on Dory's back. He jumped up and was going to chase her, but fortunately the other wrestlers restrained him.

I got to watch a lot of wrestlers throughout the years. From Verne Gagne and Nick Bockwinkel's time to John Cena and everything in between. I lost my friend who I watched wrestling with every weekend for years a few years ago and it just isn't the same, so I've finally retired from being an avid fan. God bless them all, they provided a lot of entertainment over the decades!

Dad took us to see wrestling live a couple times at the teamsters hall, Baton Rouge. Most of the not quite top tier wrestlers made it through there with the occasional big name. I remember the Funk brothers when one had a national or world title, they invited my brother to their table when they were out partying later that night. Mostly the usual theatrics but occasionally somebody really lost their cool. I laughed when a wrestler got clobbered with the edge of a steel chair! That stretched him out.

I moved up to Rapides Parish later. Wrestling was huge. Fewer competing forms of entertainment, the huge airbase, cheap living expenses, a lot of the wrestlers lived in the area. The reason I responded to your post is your mom reminded me of an old friend. He was at the matches at the coliseum. Like many of those country boys, he dipped. It was some big super event and he had been using his spit cup for hours. When the bad guy of the moment came out the ring and was headed back in, Paul threw the entire contents of his spit cup across the guy's head and back! Another BIG unhappy camper when he spun around and tried to see who had done it. Paul pretended to drink from the cup!

Hacksaw Duggan was one of the locals, had to leave the area and the association when he was caught smoking pot in his giant four wheel truck. It wasn't the pot that did it, he was smoking and palling around with his arch enemy, the Iron Sheik!

Those guys are a lot bigger than they look on TV! The Sheik was going out a door as I was going in and he pretty much filled it, width and height. That was long before the admission that it was all a show so it was clandestine that a house on a country road I went by every evening was where the wrestlers and referees met to work things out. I never went inside but one or two days a week the driveway and yard would be packed with the wrestler's vehicles. I was told they had gutted the place and it had a full ring in it.

Lots of memories. Real or fake, wrestling was still fun!

Hu

Old
  (#37)
TwinkleToes
AzB Silver Member
TwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkleToes has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celophanewrap View Post
So you only watch documentaries?
You know most movies and weekly television is fake.
Of course rasslin’ is (and was) fake. You had to know how to have fun with it.
There was always a villain, a hero, sometimes a heroine, and lately there is sometimes
an anti-hero, someone like Steve Austin, after her was Stunning Steve, and there is
always comedy. They are basically soap operas for guys. Of course they are fake, but
they’re fun. Just take it for what it is and don’t complain “‘cause it ain’t real”
It’s not a real sport, it’s a melodrama with some athletic components, and it goes good
with a couple of beers on a Friday night in your local arena.
Movie and television actors don't tell you that they aren't fake! Did I hurt your feelings that I stated what I honestly felt? Complaining would more aptly be if I continued to watch it, but complained anyway. Since I decided that it was too stupid to watch, I simply stopped watching it. All I did here was give my honest opinion. You might want to toughen up a little more and not get so defensive when someone doesn't see things the way you do. It's all part of growing up!

Old
  (#38)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.
j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
I have fond memories of watching wrestling on WCCO Mpls Minn when I was 5-6 years old.

Verne Gagne was a local hero and hawked Geritol during the commercials.

I would body slam my sisters on the bed pretending to be him.

Professional wrestling was my first exposure to fake news.
And sadly, likely more genuine than the $h!t being spewed today, from the so called media. I'll take Jake "The Snake" Roberts, and Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer, over Don Lemon, and Chris Cuomo, any day.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Old
  (#39)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-11-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkleToes View Post
Movie and television actors don't tell you that they aren't fake! Did I hurt your feelings that I stated what I honestly felt? Complaining would more aptly be if I continued to watch it, but complained anyway. Since I decided that it was too stupid to watch, I simply stopped watching it. All I did here was give my honest opinion. You might want to toughen up a little more and not get so defensive when someone doesn't see things the way you do. It's all part of growing up!
No hurt feelings here, but I think yours are. You still seem to be complaining, and you
stopped watching when? Feelings still smarting though, eh? maybe you need to toughen
up and quit whining, that’s part of growing up.

Old
  (#40)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.
j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 07:09 PM

Who could forget Andre the Giant? That had to be one of thee largest sumbiches I have ever seen!

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Grizzly Smith
Old
  (#41)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Grizzly Smith - 09-11-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2pac View Post
And sadly, likely more genuine than the $h!t being spewed today, from the so called media. I'll take Jake "The Snake" Roberts, and Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer, over Don Lemon, and Chris Cuomo, any day.

I used to speak to Jake's dad, Grizzly Smith a little. He was fond of a girl that worked in a bar with a couple pool tables in the side room. He never showed any interest in the pool tables though. Nice soft spoken easy going guy. There was a really obnoxious little fellow pestering the girl one night and Grizzly spoke to him a couple times. Would have been like a real grizzly swatting a fly and Smith wasn't advertising who he was so nothing happened.

Hu

Old
  (#42)
TwinkleToes
AzB Silver Member

09-11-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celophanewrap View Post
No hurt feelings here, but I think yours are. You still seem to be complaining, and you
stopped watching when? Feelings still smarting though, eh? maybe you need to toughen
up and quit whining, that’s part of growing up.
Very original of you there...I guess that was predictable though. Judging by the tenor of your words previously!

Old
  (#43)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 09:25 PM

I grew up near Memphis as a kid and we could only get a few channels until cable vision came along. The old school good-guy "rasslers" from that Mid-South Wrestling area were head lined by some old fat dude by the name of Jackie Fargo and then Jerry Lawler became the KING.

My grandmother was a wrestling fanatic and it was hard to keep her away from the TV when it was broadcast on Saturday mornings. She's be in front of the TV and cheering on Jackie and hollering at the ref if some "bad guy" was doing something "illegal" to Jackie.

A few years later, I learned that a big fat young guy who lived across the street from me was a "bad guy" wrestler on that circuit who always wore a mask, so I never knew it was him when I had seen him on TV.

It the early 80s, when I lived in Japan, one of my beer drinking and pool shooting buddies was Brian Adams, who was a young guy in the Air Force at the time and he was from Hawaii. He was training with the Japanese version of WWF and got out and became a superstar over there. He then became a superstar in the US. He died before I ever got to catch up with him again after I left Japan.
Attached Images

Last edited by HawaiianEye; 09-11-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Old
  (#44)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2pac View Post
Who could forget Andre the Giant? That had to be one of thee largest sumbiches I have ever seen!
Back in the 80s, at a popular Holiday Inn bar, one of our local tough guys mouthed off to
Andre the Giant....Andre was standing on a lower level...he reached up and picked the
guy up by the face....his hand covered the whole face....

I saw Yukon Eric mentioned...how about Whipper Billy Watson...Sky High Lee...
...Jean Kiniski
They all came to our small town arena....us kids liked the entertainment....
...everybody knew it was a show

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#45)
LibSuperstar
AzB Bronze Member
LibSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeLibSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeLibSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeLibSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeLibSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeLibSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeLibSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeLibSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeLibSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeLibSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeLibSuperstar has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 11:04 PM

Wrestling has carny origins hence the attempt to sell it as real to people. TwinkleToes, in what region did you grow up? You mentioned watching in the '60s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ
I watched it as a kid in the 80's.....the classics from that era; Hulk Hogan, Rowdy Roddy Piper, etc....
So many to mention: Paul Orndorff, Ricky Steamboat, Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude and Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase. Women got a little shine too w/ the likes of Velvet McIntyre, Princess Victoria, Leilani Kai, Rockin’ Robin, Judy Martin, Sherri Martel and Glamour Girls (Kai/Martin). The depth in the tag division was insane: Barry Windham/Mike Rotundo, Iron Sheik/Nikolai Volkoff, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine/Brutus Beefcake, British Bulldogs, Demolition, Hart Foundation, The Islanders, Killer Bees, The Rockers and Fabulous Rougeau Brothers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom haney
Bockwinkle and Stevens were 2 more I rarely got to see. not sure I ever saw Bockwinkle but I knew of him.
Saw Blassie in later years.

Yes, I remember that fight. Anoki stayed on his back and kept kicking Ali.
Bockwinkel and Stevens were AWA mainstays though Stevens did come East for a few shots in WWWF (most notably against Pedro Morales).

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman
I grew up in N.J. in the 50's.
I would watch wrestling on a small grainy black & white T.V. from Sunnyside gardens in N.Y.
I remember Killer Kowalski (who had a wrestling school in N.J. in the 80's)
Haystacks Calhoun
Antonino Rocca.
Thats about all I remember and I probably misspelled all the names.
Not even "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers? Some other regulars I know of were:

Ricki Starr
Johnny Valentine
Chief Big Heart
Amazing Zuma
Cowboy Bob Ellis
Karl Von Hess
Vittorio Apollo
Bob Orton
The Fabulous Kangaroos
Tolos Brothers (Chris & John Tolos)
Mark Lewin/Don Curtis
The Bastien Brothers (Red & Lou Bastien)
Sailor Art Thomas/Sweet Daddy Siki

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly
Similar stories. Watch on black and white with my Grandmother, came here from Russia in 1910. She loved wrestling.

A few more names: Haystack Calhoun, Bobo Brazil of head but fame, The Beast, Argentina Apollo, Baron Mikel Scicluna, Gorilla Monsoon, Chief Jay Strongbow.
You must've started watching in the '60s b/c that's when Apollo last worked WWWF. Did you get to see Waldo Von Erich? Or Cowboy Bill Watts? I know he had a good money program w/ Sammartino and was co-holder of the WWWF US Tag Titles w/ Monsoon. Speaking of tag teams, the '70s are under the radar - The Valiant Brothers, Tony Garea & Dean Ho/Haystacks Calhoun/Larry Zbyszko/Rick Martel, Chief Jay Strongbow/Billy White Wolf, The Mongols, Mr. Fuji/Prof. Toru Tanaka and Yukon Lumberjacks. How about the midget wrestlers Sky Low Low, Fuzzy Cupid and Little Beaver?

Page 3 of 5 123 45

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: