Old
  (#46)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member
tom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-12-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkleToes View Post
Watched it with my dad a lot in the 1960's. After getting to be around 15 years old or so, I stopped watching it because I couldn't stand how fake it was. I guess I just don't like having my intelligence insulted on a regular basis, as often as wrestling does.

I told my dad one time, those guys have pitiful boxing fundamentals, because they slam their foot down on the ground as they're hitting the other man. You'll never, ever, at any time, see a boxer do that, because it would cause a loss of energy transfer.

I understood they did it though, because they thought it made it look, and sound more realistic. Yeah...maybe to a person who hasn't got the slightest idea of how to throw a punch!

Finally, I just decided that WWE wrestling is about the stupidest thing in the history of mankind! ...not including liberals, that is!
Yeah, same here. Would tune in now and then for the interviews. They were fun at times.

God bless each and every one of you

Old
  (#47)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member
tom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
Mid 80's in N.J. wrestling was on once a week.
Hulk Hogan was big at that time.
Myself and Billy G. would get stoned on pot and watch it.
We knew it was fake as hell but the weed made it really fun to watch.
Got loaded and went with crazy friend ( who thought it was real) to Civic Center in Pittsburgh to watch Backlund wrestle George the Animal Steele years ago. Drank a lot of beer , suspended belief, and had a great time!

Old
  (#48)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member

09-12-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celophanewrap View Post
No hurt feelings here, but I think yours are. You still seem to be complaining, and you
stopped watching when? Feelings still smarting though, eh? maybe you need to toughen
up and quit whining, thatís part of growing up.
Guys! Guys! This is a fun thread. This is one where we can all come together!

Old
  (#49)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member

09-12-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2pac View Post
Who could forget Andre the Giant? That had to be one of thee largest sumbiches I have ever seen!
Tallest- Paul Bunyan.
Heaviest- Happy Humprey

Old
  (#50)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member

09-12-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibSuperstar View Post
Wrestling has carny origins hence the attempt to sell it as real to people. TwinkleToes, in what region did you grow up? You mentioned watching in the '60s.

So many to mention: Paul Orndorff, Ricky Steamboat, Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude and Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase. Women got a little shine too w/ the likes of Velvet McIntyre, Princess Victoria, Leilani Kai, Rockiní Robin, Judy Martin, Sherri Martel and Glamour Girls (Kai/Martin). The depth in the tag division was insane: Barry Windham/Mike Rotundo, Iron Sheik/Nikolai Volkoff, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine/Brutus Beefcake, British Bulldogs, Demolition, Hart Foundation, The Islanders, Killer Bees, The Rockers and Fabulous Rougeau Brothers.

Bockwinkel and Stevens were AWA mainstays though Stevens did come East for a few shots in WWWF (most notably against Pedro Morales).

Not even "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers? Some other regulars I know of were:

Ricki Starr
Johnny Valentine
Chief Big Heart
Amazing Zuma
Cowboy Bob Ellis
Karl Von Hess
Vittorio Apollo
Bob Orton
The Fabulous Kangaroos
Tolos Brothers (Chris & John Tolos)
Mark Lewin/Don Curtis
The Bastien Brothers (Red & Lou Bastien)
Sailor Art Thomas/Sweet Daddy Siki

You must've started watching in the '60s b/c that's when Apollo last worked WWWF. Did you get to see Waldo Von Erich? Or Cowboy Bill Watts? I know he had a good money program w/ Sammartino and was co-holder of the WWWF US Tag Titles w/ Monsoon. Speaking of tag teams, the '70s are under the radar - The Valiant Brothers, Tony Garea & Dean Ho/Haystacks Calhoun/Larry Zbyszko/Rick Martel, Chief Jay Strongbow/Billy White Wolf, The Mongols, Mr. Fuji/Prof. Toru Tanaka and Yukon Lumberjacks. How about the midget wrestlers Sky Low Low, Fuzzy Cupid and Little Beaver?
Rode in a cab with Sky Low Low and Little Beaver and one other to the matches one time.
Ellis and the Kangarooos were huge in their day.
Lou Bastien came to Clarksburg and wrestled our local villain Ali Bey and got beat.
Bey never lost until he faced Argentine Rocca.
Bey and his daughter lived in a hotel across from my apartment when I was a kid. Nice guy.

Old
  (#51)
ChopStick
Unsane Poster
ChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-12-2019, 07:45 AM

I don't know what you guys were watchin. Rasslin came on every Saturday afternoon where I grew up. It was in black and white. No such thing as color TV back then. Don't remember much about it. I understand the Japanese have started doing it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKCXouIhBP8

Don't believe everything you think.

Old
  (#52)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkleToes View Post
Very original of you there...I guess that was predictable though. Judging by the tenor of your words previously!
You deserve a head lock, a body slam, and to be put in the Boston Crab and held there until you submit!

Old
  (#53)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom haney View Post
Got loaded and went with crazy friend ( who thought it was real) to Civic Center in Pittsburgh to watch Backlund wrestle George the Animal Steele years ago. Drank a lot of beer , suspended belief, and had a great time!
I think you mean the Civic Arena. Affectionately called the Igloo. They tore it down.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#54)
classiccues
Enlightened.....
classiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 03:13 PM

Channel 9 in NY/NJ usually very late 11:30 ish.. till it broke big.. Late 70's I had a friend that was big into it, I remember going to his house a few times and seeing Superstar BG, Ivan Putski, Bruno S, etc.. .. I didn't really watch till Snuka started jumping off the top rope... Went to a few matches at the local college my uncle worked at the same company as Jose Luis Rivera.. he asked my uncle a few times if he wanted to try it out. That would have been funny..

JV

www.classiccues.com
Large Cue listing and cases are coming

Updated 9/1/19 A LOT CUES... all NEW

Thanksgiving Day Sale

Premium Custom Cues for Sale and Vintage Billiard and Pool Exchange on Facebook....

Old
  (#55)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member

09-12-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celophanewrap View Post
You deserve a head lock, a body slam, and to be put in the Boston Crab and held there until you submit!
I was going to post what Twinkle Toes posted and he just beat me to it.
Most guys my age started to say WTF in mid teens. It took our mothers and grandmothers quite a bit longer.
Yet it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for discussing these guys (with relish!)

Like I said, he was just observing when the change in how we view Pro "Wrestling" took place.
Slide commented on the great Dan Gable or Grable or whatever.
As a freshman in college I was the varsity unlimited heavyweight wrestler.
Tough sport, but boring as hell to watch IMHO.

I always heard George Steele was an outstanding amateur at Michigan St. Don't know if that's true.

Old
  (#56)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member

09-12-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
I think you mean the Civic Arena. Affectionately called the Igloo. They tore it down.
Yep. Long time ago.

Old
  (#57)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom haney View Post
Yep. Long time ago.
I went to many events there as a kid. Ringling Bros Circus. Tractor pulls. Car shows. Penguins games. Ice Capades.

I met Batman there (Adam West) as a kid, still have the autographed picture, and saw the Batmobile.

I met Mean Joe Greene there. Still have the autographed picture.

I also met the limp-wristed pussy Jean Claude Van Damme there when he was making a movie. That was later, as an adult. I worked across the street.

It was later called the Mellon Arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaMMzxzwhv8

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#58)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:

I met Batman there (Adam West) as a kid, still have the autographed picture, and saw the Batmobile.
FWIW, when I lived in Riverside, CA, in the 70s, I almost bought the original Batmobile that was used for that TV show.

It came up for sale and was in one of those car-sale newspapers that they used to put out every week. It was in there for a long time and I finally passed on the idea, but now I wish I would have bought it. From memory, I think they only wanted something like $24,000 for it at the time. It sold later in 2013 for several million.

Old
  (#59)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

09-12-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
FWIW, when I lived in Riverside, CA, in the 70s, I almost bought the original Batmobile that was used for that TV show.

It came up for sale and was in one of those car-sale newspapers that they used to put out every week. It was in there for a long time and I finally passed on the idea, but now I wish I would have bought it. From memory, I think they only wanted something like $24,000 for it at the time. It sold later in 2013 for several million.
I think there are even a couple accurate reproductions that are worth crazy money.

The iconic movie and TV cars of those times have emerged as very valuable.

Is the Munsters care out there? I'll have to google it.

Several cars and bikes associated with Steve McQueen have hit the news lately including the Bullitt Mustang and the Meyers Manx Dune Buggy.

I remember how thrilled I was to see the car and Batman. He couldn't be in costume though, some kind of trademark issue. I was disappointed about that, but not enough to lose the magic of the moment.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#60)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I think there are even a couple accurate reproductions that are worth crazy money.

The iconic movie and TV cars of those times have emerged as very valuable.

Is the Munsters care out there? I'll have to google it.

Several cars and bikes associated with Steve McQueen have hit the news lately including the Bullitt Mustang and the Meyers Manx Dune Buggy.

I remember how thrilled I was to see the car and Batman. He couldn't be in costume though, some kind of trademark issue. I was disappointed about that, but not enough to lose the magic of the moment.

We got a Batman in the Greater Toronto Area...and he has actually helped the cops.

Name:  D4F133DB-E96E-402D-B26F-353A4C99DB5C.jpeg
Views: 47
Size:  52.1 KB

He got pulled over once...ícause the cop wanted to do a selfie with him.

https://globalnews.ca/video/4403390/...eaking-the-law

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 4 of 5 « First 234 5

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: