Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Can today’s teenager use a rotary phone?
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-08-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
You make good and valid points about screen-based maps. However I find that a paper map is great for getting the big picture quickly and easily. For me the detail resolution of a paper map far exceeds that of a screen showing the same geography. My wife and I recently spent time in Utah (we live in Saskatoon Canada), and one of the first things I did was buy a good map. It is far easier IMO to learn the routes and landmarks (exit numbers, the names of the three exits preceding the one you want, the towns along the way, the relative distances etc.) off a paper map that from a screen. You can see it all together on a paper map rather than scrolling and zooming with the resulting change in information content on a little screen.

And I am no Luddite ... I don't even know how to weave !

On the other point, as you say, knowing how to dial a rotary phone is only a useful skill if you come across a rotary phone connected to a telephone line. I have not come across that situation for decades. Somehow I doubt that todays teenagers come across one very often either.

Dave
Just came back from Virginia.....took an atlas....phone and atlas compliment each other....
...specifics and overview.

We still have a rotary phone in the pool hall...you can answer it but not call out...
...we also have a couple cordless phones on the same system.
...you got me curious how the phone handles a power failure.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#32)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly View Post
You are correct. My, your generation, doesn't know how to use a buggy whip because we never had to and the generation that came before us thought we were useless because we couldn't use that buggy whip.

Same old same old. Our parents couldn't understand why we liked the music that we liked.
Reminds me of speaking to a man from my father’s generation in my hippie days.
...he asks “What’s this ‘yeah, yeah, yeah’ stuff?”
...asked him “Could you tell me exactly what ‘scooby dooby doo’ means?”
....we both laughed

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#33)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasShooter View Post
Or fold a map or use the yellow pages.
https://youtu.be/updE5LVe6tg
Nobody has ever been able to fold a map. Don't put that on kids today.

Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain

Old
  (#34)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_auctionguy View Post
While the video is hilarious and as some point out it really doesn't matter that she doesn't know how to use a rotary phone dial, use the Yellow pages, or re-fold up a map even though it has creases in it that pretty much should point any moron in the right direction to reverse fold it back. That is an example of not being able to think on your own to logically solve problems.

What I find relevant to today's youth is the inability to do the simplest math in their heads. Ellen could have used a basic cash register that doesn't tell them how much change to give back and watch them go into a serious deer in the headlights moment on stage. That is current and points to the lack of teaching and drilling the basics of arithmetic in schools today. Unplug the computer and watch them wilt.
That would have been racist because now math is racist.

Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain

Old
  (#35)
duckie
GregH
duckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
You make good and valid points about screen-based maps. However I find that a paper map is great for getting the big picture quickly and easily. For me the detail resolution of a paper map far exceeds that of a screen showing the same geography. My wife and I recently spent time in Utah (we live in Saskatoon Canada), and one of the first things I did was buy a good map. It is far easier IMO to learn the routes and landmarks (exit numbers, the names of the three exits preceding the one you want, the towns along the way, the relative distances etc.) off a paper map that from a screen. You can see it all together on a paper map rather than scrolling and zooming with the resulting change in information content on a little screen.

And I am no Luddite ... I don't even know how to weave !

On the other point, as you say, knowing how to dial a rotary phone is only a useful skill if you come across a rotary phone connected to a telephone line. I have not come across that situation for decades. Somehow I doubt that todays teenagers come across one very often either.

Dave
I was out riding on some the wonderful twisty mountain roads one day. I stopped at a local store in the hills chatting with other riders in the parking lot.

Lady comes over and asked for directions to a state park.......her smart phone couldn’t load any maps.

I went over to my jacket, pulled out a paper map and said to her.......these work all the time anywhere.

She just chuckled.......and the paper map did give her a better idea of distance and location far better than a map on the smart phone.

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: