Reload this Page Chess is on Fox Sports
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Chess is on Fox Sports
Old
  (#1)
elvicash
AzB Silver Member
elvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 87

Chess is on Fox Sports - 05-30-2013, 03:43 PM

Chess is on right now on Fox Sports Midwest. It is interesting to me they are talking about a big chess club with historical museum in St. Louis. This is the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis. Chess has an actual museum - wow. If chess can be on TV makes you wonder why pool is not getting more coverage.

Pool promoters need to check into getting more local or regional coverage on TV. Butts in the seats would happen if more people knew events were going on and then pool events could gain some income via the door/tickets. Perhaps something from sponsorship.

Hi Runs 14.1-52 (age+3) 9B-5 8B-3
Straight Lock / Five Cents / Kingfish / Fontaine

True Racks Available Now -- www.thetruerack.com

Old
  (#2)
upindaklub
AzB Silver Member
upindaklub has a reputation beyond reputeupindaklub has a reputation beyond reputeupindaklub has a reputation beyond reputeupindaklub has a reputation beyond reputeupindaklub has a reputation beyond reputeupindaklub has a reputation beyond reputeupindaklub has a reputation beyond reputeupindaklub has a reputation beyond reputeupindaklub has a reputation beyond reputeupindaklub has a reputation beyond reputeupindaklub has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-30-2013, 03:52 PM

look at the NHL. They should have found a way to stay on ESPN most likely. But they found a way to make it work on NBC sports network and when multiple playoff games are on they use CNBC as well. Pool could be on Bravo, USA, Spike it doesn't have to be on ESPN to start with. There are so many channels today, just get on a network and people will find you. Twitter, Facebook etc., the word can spread but you gotta start somewhere. A reality show featuring Bonus Ball and Earl and you could have the next Lil Scrappy and Love & Hip Hop Atlanta!

Old
  (#3)
TommyLee
AzB Silver Member
TommyLee has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLee has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLee has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLee has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLee has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLee has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLee has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLee has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLee has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLee has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 667

05-30-2013, 03:53 PM

I think people are just happy enough with the live stream and kinda don't seem to be putting forth the effort. It seems like you would have to put in a lot of your own money to get it going before you would see it paying off. I'm not saying people should do it to make big bucks but no one wants to lose out

Old
  (#4)
Allen Brown
Pool Whale
Allen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-30-2013, 03:56 PM

I really like the idea of pool on FX or Spike. AND there are chess clubs in high schools and middle schools. They say it helps kids think. I say put a kid on a pool table and teach him Geometry and physics. Most geometry teachers now are football or basketball coaches that let you slide by on grades anyway. Throw 8 pool tables in a room and let class begin. Hands on learning.

Old
  (#5)
flyvirginiaguy
Classic Cue Lover
flyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600
  Send a message via Yahoo to flyvirginiaguy  
05-30-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyLee View Post
I think people are just happy enough with the live stream and kinda don't seem to be putting forth the effort. It seems like you would have to put in a lot of your own money to get it going before you would see it paying off. I'm not saying people should do it to make big bucks but no one wants to lose out
Pool will continue to be as it is if it is depending on live streams in the future. No one but "some" pool players will pay to watch a live stream. There are those that want it to stay that way (those it affects). I would rather see the game where it deserves to be, on prime time...

"George was a genuine craftsman who excelled in the "state of the art" of making cues"
Gus Szamboti

Old
  (#6)
SloMoHolic
When will then be now?
SloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Brown View Post
I really like the idea of pool on FX or Spike. AND there are chess clubs in high schools and middle schools. They say it helps kids think. I say put a kid on a pool table and teach him Geometry and physics. Most geometry teachers now are football or basketball coaches that let you slide by on grades anyway. Throw 8 pool tables in a room and let class begin. Hands on learning.
Hi Allen,

If I may, I'd like to cross-post a comment I made earlier today, in another thread, only because I think it is pertinent to your comment. Here's the other thread:

Is the "hustler" image good or bad for the game?
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=321888

I agree with you 100%. My (now ex-) wife was a high school physics teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMoHolic View Post
A few years ago, my wife and I tried to start a Billiards Club at the high school where she was a science teacher. We had several hundred students sign the petition, we had an arrangement all set up with a local "family" pool hall, and we had administrative (ie by-laws), instructional, and league support from the BEF.

But we ran into two major roadblocks that kept the Club from ever forming.

1. Many of the parents would not allow their children in a pool hall because of the seedy image of pool.

2. Most of the administrators at the high school (and the district head office) would not endorse the Club because of the seedy image of pool.

It was heartbreaking because we had put so much work into it, and because so many kids were excited about learning to play pool. I'm sure some of them will eventually learn to play, but many will not.

Incidentally, two years after our failed attempt, the pool hall that had been so generous to the effort suddenly closed their doors. The building is now used as a small shopping center.

I can see how the "seedy" reputation of pool attracts some folks to the game, but from our perspective, it sure kept a lot of folks away from the game.

-Blake

Old
  (#7)
SloMoHolic
When will then be now?
SloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvicash View Post
Chess is on right now on Fox Sports Midwest.

wow. If chess can be on TV makes you wonder why pool is not getting more coverage.
Dana, you must be a mind reader. This morning, I was actually thinking about Pool vs Chess on TV, as I was pumping gas.

Weird, but true.

-Blake

Old
  (#8)
FordSVTCobra
AzB Silver Member
FordSVTCobra has a reputation beyond reputeFordSVTCobra has a reputation beyond reputeFordSVTCobra has a reputation beyond reputeFordSVTCobra has a reputation beyond reputeFordSVTCobra has a reputation beyond reputeFordSVTCobra has a reputation beyond reputeFordSVTCobra has a reputation beyond reputeFordSVTCobra has a reputation beyond reputeFordSVTCobra has a reputation beyond reputeFordSVTCobra has a reputation beyond reputeFordSVTCobra has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2013, 05:51 PM

Are these televised chess matches live? If so, is there a time limit?

Or are they recorded and edited?

I enjoy chess but can't imagine the pain of actually watching a match on tv.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old
  (#9)
3andstop
Focus
3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2013, 05:58 PM

I love 1pkt and a good chess game. I can watch 1pkt for hours, but chess, maybe 5 minutes.

"If ya knew what you didn't know, you wouldn't not know it." Danny DiLiberto.

Chess
Old
  (#10)
church66
AzB Silver Member
church66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs up Chess - 05-30-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvicash View Post
Chess is on right now on Fox Sports Midwest. It is interesting to me they are talking about a big chess club with historical museum in St. Louis. This is the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis. Chess has an actual museum - wow. If chess can be on TV makes you wonder why pool is not getting more coverage.

Pool promoters need to check into getting more local or regional coverage on TV. Butts in the seats would happen if more people knew events were going on and then pool events could gain some income via the door/tickets. Perhaps something from sponsorship.
Over her in the UK 8 ball pool is a game of Chess !

Old
  (#11)
bdorman
Dead money
bdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordSVTCobra View Post
Are these televised chess matches live? If so, is there a time limit?

Or are they recorded and edited?

I enjoy chess but can't imagine the pain of actually watching a match on tv.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Professional level chess is on a clock. It's not a shot clock like pool or basketball; it's a cumulative clock...much, much tougher. Each player is allotted the same amount of time to make all his moves; use up your time with slow decisions and you'll lose the game just by running out of time.

The result is that the first 20 moves happen so fast it's hard even for a diehard chess fan to keep up without intense concentration.

Internet Web-Site streams !
Old
  (#12)
church66
AzB Silver Member
church66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs up Internet Web-Site streams ! - 05-30-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvirginiaguy View Post
Pool will continue to be as it is if it is depending on live streams in the future. No one but "some" pool players will pay to watch a live stream. There are those that want it to stay that way (those it affects). I would rather see the game where it deserves to be, on prime time...
I was a kid when I watched The World Of Sports On ITV TV in the UK back in the day but I always remember the day they showed a clip of Jim Rempe winning a tournamet & he jumped up onto the table waving the flag . Yeah those where the days my friend !

2 Player Games...
Old
  (#13)
church66
AzB Silver Member

2 Player Games... - 05-30-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMoHolic View Post
Dana, you must be a mind reader. This morning, I was actually thinking about Pool vs Chess on TV, as I was pumping gas.

Weird, but true.

-Blake
They are all Chess matches.

Snooker,Pool,Darts,Tennis etc.

It's all in the head & thats why they are the best to play/watch !

Computer Chess
Old
  (#14)
church66
AzB Silver Member

Thumbs up Computer Chess - 05-30-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdorman View Post
Professional level chess is on a clock. It's not a shot clock like pool or basketball; it's a cumulative clock...much, much tougher. Each player is allotted the same amount of time to make all his moves; use up your time with slow decisions and you'll lose the game just by running out of time.

The result is that the first 20 moves happen so fast it's hard even for a diehard chess fan to keep up without intense concentration.
I used to play chess when I was a kid @ school but lost interest when I went to High School but for some reason I took an interest again when Nigel Short played Gary Kasparov :

Here's The Scotch game from their match :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxmYFKSenJM

Gary Kasparov V Deep Blue
Old
  (#15)
church66
AzB Silver Member

Thumbs up Gary Kasparov V Deep Blue - 05-30-2013, 08:17 PM

When I read that Gary got beat by Deep Blue Computer I thought that game was rigged & there was a few hundred boffins feeding info into Deep Blue :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Bl...Garry_Kasparov

Rigged game I tell ya !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: