Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Diamond tables don't seem that great.
Page 1 of 13 1 2311 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Diamond tables don't seem that great.
Old
  (#1)
AzB Silver Member
Cron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Diamond tables don't seem that great. - 07-12-2019, 10:45 AM

I've been playing almost solely on Diamonds for about 2 years and I'm realizing these tables are kinda cheap.

1. The ball returns are the worst. I'm not a fan of ball returns anyways, but I've never danced so much trying to figure out which end the cue ball will come out. It's kinda ridiculous considering the popularity of Diamond.

2. The corner pockets seem to malform slightly on at least one of the pockets. Sure... you can blame the installer, but there seems to be an unusually high percentage of Diamonds this happens to. So can you always blame the installer in this case?

3. The wooden frames come with such an artificial looking stain that they all look like veneered plastic that scuffs and holds prints. I understand that high VOC poly can be expensive to buy in larger quantities past a quart (do to strange regulations), but come on, put some quality finish on there.

4. The pocket receptacles are cheap plastic. I've seen balls just jump out like I am playing a carnival game. Would a leather padding be too much to hope for, you can literally buy enough in small quantities at Tandy for under $20 at retail prices to cover all pockets.

5. The ball holders are effective, but cheap and way too small. If you're really going to go cheap and make a wire ball holder, why not make one that can hold at least 14 balls? If you're going to have to have a cut out for tables with ball returns, why does the cut out have to have over hanging lips that make the effective reach in the size of a bird house?

What made these tables have great popularity and why do people insist that the table itself plays well is beyond me. I get the feeling people associate Simonis as being a Diamond only worsted felt and that nobody before Diamond made adjustments to the pocket geometry.

But, but... oh those ball returns.... I hope Diamond stops making them.

Old
  (#2)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2019, 10:50 AM

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#3)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cron View Post
I've been playing almost solely on Diamonds for about 2 years and I'm realizing these tables are kinda cheap.

1. The ball returns are the worst. I'm not a fan of ball returns anyways, but I've never danced so much trying to figure out which end the cue ball will come out. It's kinda ridiculous considering the popularity of Diamond.

2. The corner pockets seem to malform slightly on at least one of the pockets. Sure... you can blame the installer, but there seems to be an unusually high percentage of Diamonds this happens to. So can you always blame the installer in this case?

3. The wooden frames come with such an artificial looking stain that they all look like veneered plastic that scuffs and holds prints. I understand that high VOC poly can be expensive to buy in larger quantities past a quart (do to strange regulations), but come on, put some quality finish on there.

4. The pocket receptacles are cheap plastic. I've seen balls just jump out like I am playing a carnival game. Would a leather padding be too much to hope for, you can literally buy enough in small quantities at Tandy for under $20 at retail prices to cover all pockets.

5. The ball holders are effective, but cheap and way too small. If you're really going to go cheap and make a wire ball holder, why not make one that can hold at least 14 balls? If you're going to have to have a cut out for tables with ball returns, why does the cut out have to have over hanging lips that make the effective reach in the size of a bird house?

What made these tables have great popularity and why do people insist that the table itself plays well is beyond me. I get the feeling people associate Simonis as being a Diamond only worsted felt and that nobody before Diamond made adjustments to the pocket geometry.

What's the alternative? Go back to crappy Gold Crowns? Go back to Olhausen because they were on ESPN?
Growing up in Southern California and having to grind it out on Gold Crowns and then getting to play on a Diamond everyday? Hahahahaha. There is no comparison, its not even close.
I'm not sure what your referring to about dancing around the ball return, you lost me there.
A valid point, however, is that balls can pop out of the back of the pocket.
This happened to Mike Dechaine in a recorded match. The pockets for Diamonds are formed sort of like little ramps and with a powerful stroke with the right english...etc...the ball can pop out (has only happened to me 2-3 times over several years.)
No table is perfect, but Diamonds are a whole lot more perfect than anything else (when access and price are also considered.)

Old
  (#4)
sbpoolleague
Banned
sbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2019, 11:38 AM

I guess some people know what they are talking about and some don't.

Old
  (#5)
9 Ball Fan
Darth Maximus
9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2019, 11:44 AM

I am making my popcorn right now!!!

God bless you for your honesty, whatever it may be.

Now, let me go back and read past the thread title, and first couple of sentences.....

Favorite Cues:
Meucci Pro Series
1990s Viking

Old
  (#6)
AzB Silver Member
Cron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecentShot View Post
There is no comparison, its not even close.
Well, can you make a comparison? Look at the other 2 posts besides yours, this supports my theory that people are just going with the trend and don't objectivity know what makes a Diamond good over any of the others. I think that Diamond rails are nicer than many I've played on (Blue or Red), but that is about the only thing that stands out about Dismond that seems consistently good.

Yeh I too grew up on those tables as well as National's (I'm in the midwest so National had a larger footprint here), and I know some were just in bad shape, but generally that was due to poor maintenance more than design

I'd be glad to here what about a Diamond table is exclusively superior.

Old
  (#7)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2019, 12:13 PM

Ill play on any table really i don't give a shit
Valley diamond brunswick on any cloth any size with any ball set but those ugly skittle balls
Any size carom table heated or not dont care what cloth or ball set

With a plain 1 piece butted cue and a single shaft with a single layer tip in a pouchless strapless 1x1 case

Royal Pro

Old
  (#8)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Well, can you make a comparison? Look at the other 2 posts besides yours, this supports my theory that people are just going with the trend and don't objectivity know what makes a Diamond good over any of the others. I think that Diamond rails are nicer than many I've played on (Blue or Red), but that is about the only thing that stands out about Dismond that seems consistently good.

Yeh I too grew up on those tables as well as National's (I'm in the midwest so National had a larger footprint here), and I know some were just in bad shape, but generally that was due to poor maintenance more than design

I'd be glad to here what about a Diamond table is exclusively superior.
It would feel like trying to explain why the earth is round. Can I? No not really. Should I have to? No not really. I don't have the energy to explain something so obvious, maybe somebody else can try.

Old
  (#9)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline

07-12-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecentShot View Post
I don't have the energy to explain something so obvious, maybe somebody else can try.
Oh HE will be along shortly you can bet

Royal Pro

Old
  (#10)
ghost ball
AzB Silver Member
ghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Carom Club View Post
Damn, the kraken has been released.

"People have to start realizing that if they are going to dick members around on AZ, it won't be forgotten about soon." from the blue hog rider

GLUE SAVES POOL

"When I shoot, my main concerns are if I made a good hit (including ball to rail) and the success of the shot (make or defense).
If you have played for a while, it is rare that you don't notice when it does not happen." from poolpro2

Old
  (#11)
9 Ball Fan
Darth Maximus
9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Ill play on any table really i don't give a shit
Valley diamond brunswick on any cloth any size with any ball set but those ugly skittle balls
Any size carom table heated or not dont care what cloth or ball set

With a plain 1 piece butted cue and a single shaft with a single layer tip in a pouchless strapless 1x1 case

Yes!!! This!!!

Favorite Cues:
Meucci Pro Series
1990s Viking

Old
  (#12)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member

07-12-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Of course my mechanic was taught by HIM, so I am not an impartial juror.

Old
  (#13)
CGM
One Ball Runner
CGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2019, 12:36 PM

I own a GC3 and every time I get to play on a Diamond I wish that I owned one. I'm not saying I dislike the GC because I love it but to me nothing plays like a Diamond Pro-Am. They are bad ass tables.

I do a hell of a job working around the holes.
Trust me aimings not your problem

Agree
Old
  (#14)
franko
AzB Silver Member
franko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond repute

Agree - 07-12-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
I own a GC3 and every time I get to play on a Diamond I wish that I owned one. I'm not saying I dislike the GC because I love it but to me nothing plays like a Diamond Pro-Am. They are bad ass tables.
I agree 100% with this. The room I use to play in had 12 Diamonds and 8 Gold Crowns all had 860 Simonis all the same table time. On Fridays and Saturdays you had to wait to get on a Diamond the Gold Crowns were the last to be taken.

Old
  (#15)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:

I'd hate to hear what you'd say about all the other commercial quality tables out there if you've got this many complaints about Diamond's!

Page 1 of 13 1 2311 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: