Vulgarity and nasty words

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I challenge you to give me one intelligent reason for using nasty graphic
vukgr language. I know several sick timid lonely misfits want to be part of the
group. They want so desperately to belong thatthey use big boy talk..

An intelligent reason is to dispute ad hominem attacks like you just made. With all your pool room stories, I'm sure you can verify that people have gotten knocked ass-over-teakettle, as the kids say, in response to being called names like you just used to describe posters on this forum.

Words are more intelligent than violence, even if your delicate sensibilities are offended

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boys tell me one good reason i should use vulgarity in voice or print

What one thing is a good reason to improve life

would it make you happy,would ithelpme fitin

Am I an odd ball at the pool room and now i can be one of the guys?

Don't knock me,give me 1 bwenefit to eoither of us

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets clear something up here. Dean was offended by this pic, this is what started all of this.

whathappenedwhen9053-f515.png

It was a joke in response to an aside with a poster from Alabama.

And bear in mind, this was in a thread about Dean being buddies with, and giving advice to a cop killer.

But he likes to pull the self righteous bullshit for attention, and to make himself sound like he is somehow better. He already claimed people who curse are less intelligent.

Here are a couple of studies (links within) for Dean to peruse about people who dont curse being less honest.

http://www.openculture.com/2017/07/people-who-swear-are-more-honest-than-those-who-dont.html

Ive just always thought of it this way though. The people who claim to have higher morals, are usually the people who are just trying to cover up and hide.

Aint that some shit. :thumbup:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Now that I object to!

Dean … this is a pool forum, not a family oriented site.

Happy Holiday's M'Fer !!!!

I hate seeing and hearing that!. It is just a way of being lazy or trying to be politically correct. I used it for awhile when I had a storefront business, saved a few words and I got tired of talking all day. Then I started seeing it was unacceptable to say "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!" After that I carefully said it each time. If somebody replied "Happy Hanukah" I was just fine with that. If other religions wished me well on their holidays I was cool with that too.

The hell with the generic "Happy Holidays" though! I don't want to see that kind of language. :D

Hu

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Boys tell me one good reason i should use vulgarity in voice or print

What one thing is a good reason to improve life

would it make you happy,would ithelpme fitin

Am I an odd ball at the pool room and now i can be one of the guys?

Don't knock me,give me 1 bwenefit to eoither of us

No one needs to give you a reason for anything. Cuss or don't; no one else cares.
The problem is you assume you get to tell us how we may or may not speak/type. I'll do and say whatever I damn well want; then I'll deal with those consequences. I've already told you in a PM, I do cuss in front of my mom and dad. I am me, no matter who is around me.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is more civility in pool halls than in Congress and the White House. That’s been the case for decades.

SJpilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent post. It's a common misnomer that we sailor-mouthed people have a limited vocabulary or a lack of intelligence. If anything, we have a better understanding and a wider range of usage when it comes to language and expressing ourselves.

Nothing is more phony than hearing or reading things that don't match up with reality. A good example is in the 1st chapter of a pool novel I recently purchased, which I won't name here. But in the story a guy was firing air barrels and ran out of the poolhall owing money. I think he was hiding in a tree when the people he owed came out looking for him. Then the player that got stiffed comes back into the poolhall, very angry, and the writer wrote that this guy came in and yelled the "f-word". That's how he wrote it, and that's when I quit reading the book. If your character comes storming in and yells something, tell me what he yelled. If you can't write f*** when your character actually yells the word, it's not a believable story. It may actually be a good story, but things like this are just silly enough to make it unrealistic to me, like a fairytale character in a fantasy world instead a real gambler in a poolhall.
That always was an interesting thing about written vs spoken language to me. You don't hear letters so "I don't give a sh*t", and "I don't give a shit," mean the exact same thing to the reader. Just an alternate spelling really. So how is one better than the other.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you don't cuss in front of mom,why on a public forum where mom might read it

Manners. Tradition. There is a place and time for everything.

I never cussed around my kids until they were old enough (teens) to know when or where certain words could be deemed acceptable or appropriate. Growing up I seldom heard my mom or grandparents curse. (Dad was a different story....lol.) The key word here is "seldom". I can only remember mom using the F-bomb maybe once or twice in my life, and that was well after I had already grown up and moved out into the world. But she would say softer words like "damnit" or "hell" on occassion. She was also a devoted church member, sang in a gospel group, and prayed everyday and said grace before every meal. And she was well educated also.

Realizing that there are certain times or situations that call for using more colorful language is part of living in the real world. Short of maybe living in a convent or a monastery, it's just a part of reality that will always exist. And the best you can hope for is that your children or grandchildren learn to be courteous/mannerly. But honestly, with all the horrible things that could happen to a kid in this world, whether or not they grow up to eventually use or hear foul language is bit trivial.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not that you use or don't use vulgarity in your home, life or this forum. The problem is that on the other thread you attacked River City for posting a photo of a tee shirt. That shirt was well within the context of the prior posts. Personally I almost spit out my coffee when I read it. It was funny given the subject matter. What I did find offensive was
that you were the thought police trampling on RiverCity's right to post what he did. Given your hero worship of a cop killer (?) that is pretty freakin' vulgar.

No this is not Thanksgiving dinner, the PTA meeting or church. You have the right to publish stories about mob enforcers and cop killers. Why not respect the right of RiverCity to submit his contribution. It works both ways.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Freedom of speech. Swearing are words like any other, its the intent behind the word that brings out what the word means.
If we can only speak based on the consensus of the public agreeing with he or she, its no longer freedom of anything.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
That always was an interesting thing about written vs spoken language to me. You don't hear letters so "I don't give a sh*t", and "I don't give a shit," mean the exact same thing to the reader. Just an alternate spelling really. So how is one better than the other.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Good point. But when it comes to fiction writing, I would rather see a writer write something like this.....

She walked into the room just as Johnny swung the hammer and smashed the wrong nail. "AHHHH!!! F**K THAT HURT!!!!"

It's more realistic/believable than.... She walked in as Johnny swung the hammer and smashed the wrong nail. He yelled the f-word.

A good writer can bring the story alive. If the story isn't believable, if you can't picture it and hear it happening in your head, it's just not good enough to keep avid adult readers engaged.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets clear something up here. Dean was offended by this pic, this is what started all of this.

And bear in mind, this was in a thread about Dean being buddies with, and giving advice to a cop killer.

But he likes to pull the self righteous bullshit for attention, and to make himself sound like he is somehow better. He already claimed people who curse are less intelligent.

Here are a couple of studies (links within) for Dean to peruse about people who dont curse being less honest.

http://www.openculture.com/2017/07/people-who-swear-are-more-honest-than-those-who-dont.html

Ive just always thought of it this way though. The people who claim to have higher morals, are usually the people who are just trying to cover up and hide.

I find it funny that someone would be more offended by the F word than the fact that someone would F their cousin. Dean must be from Alabama.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I can get 10 people to send me $100 each I will do a drawing and the lucky winner will get to know the 2 words I'm thinking.

pm for my paypal info. :wink:

The two words are,,,

GOT PICTURES?

Or they are F OFF. F stands for FUN, Fun off everyone, it's a wonderful Monday.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it funny that someone would be more offended by the F word than the fact that someone would F their cousin. Dean must be from Alabama.

I would never say I fock my cousin, that would be morally wrong; we MAKE LOVE.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Where can I get a shirt like this?

I didn't know that dean was friends with and worshiped a cop killer. That hits close to home. If you don't like the above shirt or the language in a pool forum, simply skip them or go hang out with your cop killing piece of shit friend.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
the use of language always changes and in the past 20-30 years and one of the most obvious changes is the younger generations have accepted heavy swearing as everyday use. No different than how they have accepted saying acronyms like "lol" in everyday conversation.

To say this is pool specific is not accurate. it is a change in what people consider acceptable language in general.

I personally do not swear in everyday conversation. I feel that swearing ever other word subtracts from when I do use it, and I usually only swear when I need to emphasize something.