Rooms at Home?

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello All.I saw the pics of folks' rooms at home and they're incredible.Quick question for all.If you only have space for a 7 ft table is that a better option than having to travel an hour or more to play on a 9ft occasionally? I know some don't consider 7 ft tables as real pool. I am getting back in the game at age 60 after a 12 year layoff and felt that to reach any level of proficiency perhaps the 7 ft is my best option. Lastly it appears the most of the tournaments in this area(mid south) are. on the 7 ft tables.Is that the case pretty much everywhere? Thanks,Mike S

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7 foot or 8 foot tables can provide you an opportunity
to have a lot of fun

Enjoy yourself
dean

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Hello All.I saw the pics of folks' rooms at home and they're incredible.Quick question for all.If you only have space for a 7 ft table is that a better option than having to travel an hour or more to play on a 9ft occasionally? I know some don't consider 7 ft tables as real pool. I am getting back in the game at age 60 after a 12 year layoff and felt that to reach any level of proficiency perhaps the 7 ft is my best option. Lastly it appears the most of the tournaments in this area(mid south) are. on the 7 ft tables.Is that the case pretty much everywhere? Thanks,Mike S

Hi Mike,

If you go the 7' route consider a DIAMOND table.

Pockets are tighter than the more common tables which makes the game more demanding/satisfying.

Best, adam

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 60 and have really just gotten back into using the 8+ foot old Brunswick Anniversary that has been ignored far too long at my house. No excuse for it really and took discovering this site/watching pool online for the first time ever/getting some decent cues, etc. to really get me back into it. A bit hard to answer because I've got a larger table but as I think about it, had I not had a table for years and was getting back into it and only room for a 7 foot table, I'd get a Diamond in a heartbeat and enjoy the heck out of it.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you only have space for a 7 ft table is that a better option than having to travel an hour or more to play on a 9ft occasionally?
It's OK to do both!

Play on a 7' table at home every day, and occasionally, drive an hour to play on a 9' table.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's OK to do both!

Play on a 7' table at home every day, and occasionally, drive an hour to play on a 9' table.

Came to say this....

After 30 years, I got back into the game and was lucky enough to get the bar box back that I played on as a child.

I play every day on it and play tournaments on a 9ft every Monday and Tuesday. I didn't play tonight b/c of half price pizza at another place but I cashed Monday night.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
real pool

Most of the tournaments around me are on seven footers too. If you gamble at anything but one pocket it will probably be on a bar table. A lot to be said for practicing on what you compete on so the seven footer might be the better option even if you had room.

Having said that, if I had room I would put in a five by ten instead of the seven footer I am looking for. I like playing on a five by ten pool or snooker table.

Many years ago I had a junk four by eight home table. I used it a bunch and it upped my game a lot even having bucket no shelf pockets. My opinion is simple, any home table is much better than no home table. If a seven foot Diamond is in your budget that is great. If a barbox is what you can afford that is great too.

Hu

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i was actually thinking about an oversized 8 foot before i got my centennial with 5 inch pockets

now i enjoy playing

go aheadand buy the smaller table if you like them

most people have smaller home tables

but be aware,not everyone like playing pool at home

i have known people who like pool who don't like playing at home or alone

i play a few minutes everytime i see mine,but no long sets

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Get a 7' and forget about it.

Don't get me started on the pool snobs and their 9' tables.

I have a 9ft Gold Crown 1, and I completely agree with this statement.

I played many years on a Legacy (furniture grade table) 7ft. I was able to get a CG when I moved to a house with more space. All my local tournaments are played on 7ft tables. You'll be just fine with a nice 7ft.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The seven footer will give you the opportunity to work on your speed and your stroke, which will be applicable on any size table. Make sure to put on the faster cloth and also that you have good cushions, you will need both on a 7 footer to force you into good stroking habits - also I agree that something less than 5 inch pockets on a 7 foot table will keep you sharper. Play a good amount of 6 ball on the table so that you can get used to more movement on the cue ball if you plan to play some on 9 footers as well.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why can’t you do both? Play on the 7t’ and then get all coached up and whoop everyone on the 9’ when you can. I only play one pocket at the pool room but I have an 8’ table in the garage for the kids and I enjoy banging balls on it when I can. It’s a fun way to enjoy a good buzz during the cold months.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted a table at home so bad, but there just isn't any space for it:(

Last edited:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I wanted a table at home so bad, but there just isn't any space for it:(

I knew a guy who loved pool so much he had a pos table, not even sure if it was slate, he had up against a wall. Only played one side and the ends. He was a decent shot too. Used way too much English though, guessing that was from the crappy cloth and monster pockets on that table.