Forecast of things to come?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Ginky tournament had a rule no feathering the one ball while racking.

I wonder if that will become more widespread.

buckhunter

Registered
ok, I'll ask. Newbie here so what exactly is feathering the one ball and what exactly is that suppose to gain you by doing it? I assume it is in the game 9-ball since it is the one ball.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Ginky tournament had a rule no feathering the one ball while racking.

I wonder if that will become more widespread.

Should have been a rule a long time ago, touch all you want when the rack is on the balls, when you remove it, no touchy the balls. I found that on many tables and older/cheap equipment, if I spin the head ball backwards into the rack, it tightens up nicely. Easy to do in 9 ball rack, but in 10 ball and 8 ball it's a bit tougher since you can't hold the back side of the rack with on hand. After the rack is lifted, a rule that you can't touch the balls is great.

Same thing for cue lengths, pattern racking (in the rules but people tend to ignore that), and a bunch of other crap people try to sneak into the game. There is a minimum length of cue allowed, set a maximum, including any extensions. Unless you are on a snooker table and really can't reach with a normal length cue, use a bridge.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Should have been a rule a long time ago, touch all you want when the rack is on the balls, when you remove it, no touchy the balls. I found that on many tables and older/cheap equipment, if I spin the head ball backwards into the rack, it tightens up nicely. Easy to do in 9 ball rack, but in 10 ball and 8 ball it's a bit tougher since you can't hold the back side of the rack with on hand. After the rack is lifted, a rule that you can't touch the balls is great.

Same thing for cue lengths, pattern racking (in the rules but people tend to ignore that), and a bunch of other crap people try to sneak into the game. There is a minimum length of cue allowed, set a maximum, including any extensions. Unless you are on a snooker table and really can't reach with a normal length cue, use a bridge.

Why do you care how long a cue is?
Jason

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you care how long a cue is?
Jason

Should not matter how short it is either then, or the weight. Level playing field. Tennis has a max head size, same thing for golf. Equipment restrictions are part of every pro game. Engine size in car racing, and so on.

Why is there a max and min weight but no max length?

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Should have been a rule a long time ago, touch all you want when the rack is on the balls, when you remove it, no touchy the balls. ...

If you are using a decent rack with space behind the back ball (such as a Delta-13 or a Diamond rack), you can rack the balls, slide the rack forward a bit, and feather the 1-ball (or do any other ball-touching you want to do) to the same effect as if the rack was no longer on the table. So the rule is ineffective.

Last edited:

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
Cue length and some rules were set years ago when average man was 5’6” tall. Now many players including myself are 6’ and taller. I’m 6’2” tall and on a 58” cue my hand is off the wrap and near the bumper at the bottom. Change the rules with the times, equipment and majority of players. Too many players especially ones that never improve focus on others instead of themselves.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I believe that there is a max weight requirement of 25 oz. A minimal length of 40" but no max length. Or has that been changed?

For me my cue is just a little short so on all normal shots (with a 12" bridge, diamond to diamond), I need to grip down to the butt.

I'm not that tall (5'11") but have a large wingspan.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok, I'll ask. Newbie here so what exactly is feathering the one ball and what exactly is that suppose to gain you by doing it? I assume it is in the game 9-ball since it is the one ball.
I have no idea what feathering a 1-ball while racking means either. Feathering the 1-ball to me sounds like a super thin cut shot on the 1-ball or playing a thin cut safety on the 1-ball.

I guess maybe it means moving the 1-ball with your fingers after racking, to ensure it is frozen with the 2 balls directly behind it? I'm not sure feathering is the correct term to describe that?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no idea what feathering a 1-ball while racking means either. Feathering the 1-ball to me sounds like a super thin cut shot on the 1-ball or playing a thin cut safety on the 1-ball.

I guess maybe it means moving the 1-ball with your fingers after racking, to ensure it is frozen with the 2 balls directly behind it? I'm not sure feathering is the correct term to describe that?
Pretty much. You let experienced players touch the front balls and some real funny things can happen. Only letting them push the back balls is the way to go.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that there is a max weight requirement of 25 oz. A minimal length of 40" but no max length. Or has that been changed?

For me my cue is just a little short so on all normal shots (with a 12" bridge, diamond to diamond), I need to grip down to the butt.

I'm not that tall (5'11") but have a large wingspan.

I'd say max out at 62" length, including any extensions. That should be plenty for anyone to be able to have a good stance and grip on a cue.

Just like tennis, you get a set base setup to use, then do what you want with the grip and strings you use and what that frame is made from. Tips, shafts, grips, diameter... change how you want. Length and weight, regulated.

I think 40" is too short also, 56" - 62" would be my rules if I had a say in it, give or take an inch or two.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are using a decent rack with space behind the back ball (such as a Delta Elite or a Diamond rack), you can rack the balls, slide the rack forward a bit, and feather the 1-ball (or do any other ball-touching you want to do) to the same effect as if the rack was no longer on the table. So the rule is ineffective.

That is about the same as what they are doing now. It would be getting into similar territory as the Corey breaks my son did videos on, playing games with the rules to try to get a result the rules did not account for.

Rack with the rack, don't touch the balls when it's set that way, unless you are the ref or the TD states it's OK to if something needs fixed.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering what advantage would be gained by a longer cue. Shorter cues have clear advantages, but what’s your beef with a longer cue?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering what advantage would be gained by a longer cue. Shorter cues have clear advantages, but what’s your beef with a longer cue?

Aside from it feeling "wrong" to use in my view as tradition, not much. As with using jump cues, I don't think making things easier (to reach in this case or an easier swing) is better for the pro game.

I don't get upset when people use a longer cue, but the game should have some level of skill to play.

We don't want bowling lane bumpers put out when pros play do we? That is what super long cues and jump cues are, crutches for weaker play. They don't add to the game, they allow someone to fake skill. Crossbow vs standard bow as an example. Crossbow is superior in some ways and you still need to aim, but is it like the skill needed to shoot a longbow? Not even close.

I like the comparison to tennis or golf equipment, there is a set head size you can use, length of racket, but the strings you use, grip type you use, material it's made from all can be changed. In pool that would be the tip, joint, shaft taper and construction, etc... But size/weight should be regulated in the rules.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it should be OK to gently brush with your hand (feather) a ball into place to get it tight. It would be a lot better to use a racking method that got a tight rack without that help.

The problem comes when a rack mechanic/cheat feathers a ball to create a gap. Intentionally making gaps is unsportsmanlike conduct.

It's really hard to tell the one from the other.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it should be OK to gently brush with your hand (feather) a ball into place to get it tight. It would be a lot better to use a racking method that got a tight rack without that help.

The problem comes when a rack mechanic/cheat feathers a ball to create a gap. Intentionally making gaps is unsportsmanlike conduct.

It's really hard to tell the one from the other.

Like ball tapping, any adjustment by hand like that should be done and/or allowed and inspected by a ref/TD don't you think?