Interesting shot

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Yeah, very nice shot.. Believe it or not, having watched a LOT of Efren's matches, and trying to pattern my game off his, this was the very first option I saw to get to the 2.. :grin-square::grin-square::grin-square:

The link does not take you to the spot. At least not on my phone/app. It was the only pocket that ball would go in. Why play a safety on a make-able shot? Make the 1 and think safety on the 2 of you don’t get shape. I think what’s more impressive is he caromed off another ball to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought he was going to carom off the ball, but with inside spin and go two rails to get to the same spot. Especially since he looked to be cueing down on the CB. It was hard to tell how full he was going to hit the carom ball.

Actually, I have some trouble with this type of shot shooting it myself, and estimating how thick I will hit the carom ball. Maybe I should practice it? ha ha

*Edit, watching the shot again, do you guys think he cued down on the CB with only center draw? The CB didn't look like it had much if any spin the way it came off the rail. When I first saw the execution of the shot, I thought it was hit with outside.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The link does not take you to the spot. At least not on my phone/app. ...snip....

Yeah, I think its good practice to put the time stamp (in words) in the post, in addition to the direct link to that exact time. I have run across the same thing, where from my computer, the link will take me to the exact second, yet from my phone, it would take me to the start of the match.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I think its good practice to put the time stamp (in words) in the post, in addition to the direct link to that exact time. I have run across the same thing, where from my computer, the link will take me to the exact second, yet from my phone, it would take me to the start of the match.

The link by op has time stamp. It takes you the exact time if you use YouTube web/ internet. If you have YouTube app, it goes haywire. Some apps are dumb. Reason why I still like desktop internet view even on mobile when viewing some info sites like for eg. Wikipedia because the mobile or app version is too compact/truncated or certain elements are not readily available. Apps are great for applications/ transactions but less so for info sites.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont understand why when shooting the 6 in the corner he didn't bounce off the rail into the 9 to stop for the 7 in the corner. A slow low left draw.
Doing it his way left a brutal shot on the 7.
Even if bouncing into the 9 didn't work out well there was always a safety available.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont understand why when shooting the 6 in the corner he didn't bounce off the rail into the 9 to stop for the 7 in the corner. A slow low left draw.
Even if bouncing into the 9 didn't work out well there was always a safety available.

Hmm, good eye. For sure he saw that shot, but he must not have liked it for whatever reason. Maybe they were too far apart, and the CB would have brushed the near edge of the 9 (instead of hitting the 9 full on the edge closest to the rail), sending it closer to the 7, and the CB far away to mid table?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speak of the devil! The same shot just came up in the Russian challenge. The Russians played it two rails forward with inside, instead of one rail like Efren did.

Its match 2 of day 3, Corey/Ellerman vs Seroshtan/Lutsker, last 3 balls of game 1. I'll link the shot if the replay is available on youtube later.

Here is the live FB link of the match in progress if you want to sweat it:
https://www.facebook.com/abnbilliards/videos/289886765072623/

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m in the camp that has a phone where it just starts the match from the beginning and thinks including the time where the shot happens in text is a good best practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simple explanation. He didn't have the angle to do that.

EDIT: What iusedtoberich stated above, the angle looks like he would brush the edge of the 9 and possibly move it toward the 7. Efren calculated it would be less risky doing what he did. Though, he probably didn't expect to be jacked up over the 8.

Last edited:

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/rxvBp1i1rmc?t=3290

I didn't think there was any way he could get on the two in the side. I figured he would pocket the one and play safe.
I'm as big an Efren fan as there is, but I don't find anything too spectacular that shot choice. I would think any A player and above would attempt to play the shot as he did. Executing it as perfectly as Efren did would be another story.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simple explanation. He didn't have the angle to do that.

EDIT: What iusedtoberich stated above, the angle looks like he would brush the edge of the 9 and possibly move it toward the 7. Efren calculated it would be less risky doing what he did. Though, he probably didn't expect to be jacked up over the 8.

Its hard to tell the exact angle he had from a video.
but i guess he didn't like hitting the 9 for some reason.
funny how a 1/4 inch or a couple degrees of angle can change a shot like that.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm as big an Efren fan as there is, but I don't find anything too spectacular that shot choice. I would think any A player and above would attempt to play the shot as he did. Executing it as perfectly as Efren did would be another story.

Only pocket for the 2 is the side. I believe very few people would have gotten out from the 1. Most would have played safe on the 2.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only pocket for the 2 is the side. I believe very few people would have gotten out from the 1. Most would have played safe on the 2.

Before he shot the 1 I thought he was going to draw back off the object ball rather than follow thru it.

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
Its hard to tell the exact angle he had from a video.
but i guess he didn't like hitting the 9 for some reason.
funny how a 1/4 inch or a couple degrees of angle can change a shot like that.

no angle. he would have to hit it way too slow and throw the 6 in just to hit the correct side of the 9. if he gets it wrong its a definite snooker. so many ways for the shot to go tits up.

The shot he took in the end was not ideal because too soft and he would end up having to jack up. Hit it too hard, he would wind up behind the 9. if he hit harder (3 rails) he may end up missing... or wind up next to the 8 anyway.

But it was by far less risky and the worst scenario was still something he could work with