Review Of Ridgeback Rails

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I bought my Ridgeback Rails for my 7’ Valley about 6 months ago when they first came out. When I first put them on; the table immediately played harder. As the new cloth on the rails and bed cloth broke in it played even harder yet.

This morning I took the Ridgebacks off and put the standard rails (only 3 months of play on them…like new) back on just to see how much of the Ridgebacks were in my head. Before I put the RB’s on I was beating the 9-ball ghost w/o ball in hand. When I put the RB’s on I hardly ever beat the 9-ball ghost w/o BIH in a race the 9. As soon as I put the Standard Valley Rails back on the ghost had no chance.

Here’s how I compare the Standard Valley rails to the RB’s.

With the RB’s if you just touch the rail a few inches from the pocket with the OB down the rail it won’t go unless you slow roll it…and that’s not 100% all the time depending on the angle of the shot. As far as the pockets taking hard shots with the RB’s, you better hit center pocket or slow spin it in off the rail end. With the Standard rails you can fire the shots at warp speed and the get sucked right in…even down the rail long.

If you have real good fast cloth with the RB’s you better go/learn to go to a rail and bring the QB back for position because you won’t be able to hold the QB on half table or longer shots to stop in a foot or so.

I am in no way comparing a Valley to Diamond here, but if the Valley had a little shorter shelf and set-up with good cloth and RB’s they would play darn close. For anyone that plays on mostly Diamond 7 footers away from home and can’t afford or don't want to go for the price of a Diamond practicing on this Valley set-up will let you adjust easily to a Diamond at tournaments, poolrooms, or bars. Johnnyt

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I hate to put the Ridgebacks back in the morning. I'm having too much fun drilling the 9-ball ghost with the standard Valley rails lol. But I can see I'm already getting sloppy because it's hard to miss, so I need to go back and fight with the RB's somemore. Johnnyt

Catahula

I said "SIT!"
Silver Member
Thank you.

Thanks Johnny for the review. I am, at home, playing on the same Valley table as you. Like you, I find myself sliding into some pretty sloppy playing habits as a result of how loose the table plays. Just how sloppy was pointed out a couple of weekends ago when I played in a BCA tournament in Oregon. It was played on 7' Diamonds. Tights pockets and rails that seemed like rockets compared to what I had at home. One rail position all of sudden became two. Don't even think about trying to cheat the pocket up the rail.
I have watched with interest all your threads regarding your table and your rail change. I agree with what I think is your take on replacing your rails. As much as I enjoy beating the ghost on my table as is, I am deluding myself into thinking that I am becoming a better player because of it.
Ridgeback rails are my next investment.
Thanks again.
Tommy

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Thanks Johnny for the review. I am, at home, playing on the same Valley table as you. Like you, I find myself sliding into some pretty sloppy playing habits as a result of how loose the table plays. Just how sloppy was pointed out a couple of weekends ago when I played in a BCA tournament in Oregon. It was played on 7' Diamonds. Tights pockets and rails that seemed like rockets compared to what I had at home. One rail position all of sudden became two. Don't even think about trying to cheat the pocket up the rail.
I have watched with interest all your threads regarding your table and your rail change. I agree with what I think is your take on replacing your rails. As much as I enjoy beating the ghost on my table as is, I am deluding myself into thinking that I am becoming a better player because of it.
Ridgeback rails are my next investment.
Thanks again.
Tommy

You won't be sorry...and it WILL make you a better player. Johnnyt

deebee53

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha, I hate watching players run on me because the Valley table is sucking up all kinds of junk.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I wish more people would pay attention to this post, as I spent a lot of time with Kerry, helping him design these rails for production...same rails I use to build when I was recovering a 1,000 bar tables a year up here in Washington State. They DO play nicer than ANY rails you can buy for the Valley tables;)

Glen

ridgebackrails.com

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I put the Ridgebacks back on yesterday and the ghost loves it. I had to put them back on as I was starting to think I was Johnny A. the way I could fire the shots in with th standard Valley rails. Now I'm back to a humble Johnnyt lol. Johnnyt

Blaine B.

Clueless
Silver Member
Necromancy! I saw a ridge back rails decal on all the Valley tables at our Western Canada VNEA Championships last weekend. Thanks for the review!

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree.. If you have to play on a valley table like I do these our the rails to get. To be honest I love diamond tables but I feel they play a little easier then my valley does with ridge backs. It’s well worth it.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ridgeback rails are the schnizzle. Many of our league bars/halls have switched.

I'm sure the OP is using Ridgeback Professionals as opposed to their regular-cut rails. Huge difference. I would not waste money buying the regular cut.

Also, Ridgeback pro-cut rails have been available for many years for Valley tables. Not sure why the OP had to wait til six months ago.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ridgeback rails are the schnizzle. Many of our league bars/halls have switched.

I'm sure the OP is using Ridgeback Professionals as opposed to their regular-cut rails. Huge difference. I would not waste money buying the regular cut.

Also, Ridgeback pro-cut rails have been available for many years for Valley tables. Not sure why the OP had to wait til six months ago.

Ready to feel a bit silly in 3,2,1

"Review Of Ridgeback Rails - 03-26-2010, 10:28 AM"

Someone dug up a 8 year old post ;)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Yeah, nothing like losing a game because your opponent missed their shot by almost a full diamond but they still went in ;)

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Ridgeback

The pro rails are becoming popular with the players.
They are not going to turn your table into a diamond but the ridgebacks are as close as your going to get and to improve your valley.

I’ve installed two sets in the last week and the table owners are happy.

Rob.M

Attachments

• 3DBF3F76-67AC-4F3D-AD4C-4C30EFEA8D2E.jpg
    3DBF3F76-67AC-4F3D-AD4C-4C30EFEA8D2E.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 2,608

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I've got the Ridgeback Rails as well on my valley bar box, standard not pro I think? Can't recall. Don't have to 'cause i've got a 9' diamond pro to boot...:grin:

Anyway, Ridgeback rails are damn fine, if you've got a valley, treat yourself to them, you will enjoy it. Super responsive and great action.

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't need an exact number but, roughly, what kind of a price tag does a pro set run?

Thanks!

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Not sure exactly how much I spent on this Valley table. My guess is under $100. Used this table to practice for Super Billiards Expo the last two years. Tough? You bet!

Lyn

Attachments

• Valley Pocket.jpg
    Valley Pocket.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 922

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Why on earth would you want that table so tight for eight ball?
Looks very tough.

Super Billiards is 9 ball. Why so tight? It makes you shoot to the centers of the pockets instead of allowing for slop! Even though I'm 74, still beat a lot of those youngsters. Since I used to play on that table daily, a standard Valley or Diamond 7' pockets are bushel baskets! Sadly the table has left the pool room replaced by a Diamond.

Lyn

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 ball makes more sense. Tables with pockets smaller
than 4.5” kind of changes the game in 8 ball.
You obviously play well for any age.
Man that table is triple tough.

Jagr Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ridgeback rails...??

Not a barbox player, but very curious after reading these posts. What makes the Ridgeback rails so different...?? Is it that the pocket opening angles, vertical angles, or simply the pocket mouth width that are the determining factors in these rails...??