Scott Lee

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
I had a lesson with Scott Lee recently and it was very informative.

We diagnosed what issues I had with my stroke using a recording and going through it in slow motion. The biggest element he covers is stroke mechanics. How can you play consistently without a consistent stroke?

Next we went over eye movement and eye patterns. He discussed what has been proven to work the best and how to implement it into your routine.

Finally we went over speed control and the importance of finishing your stroke on every speed of shot. I haven't practiced the accompanying drill with this yet, but I have noticed an increased feel for my speed control just by finishing my stroke.

Every single area he covered is implemented by the use of the "Mother" Drills. I finally learned what these are and how to use them.

All in all the experience was a positive one; I had a twist in my stroke that i have known about for a long time. Until Scott's help I didn't know how find it, then fix it. I am already stroking straighter and with more confidence.

Thanks Scott!

Last edited:

obe1

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i got his dvd a couple weeks ago and it is great!! i hope i can have a lesson in 2010. i am a better player ...

Blackball75

Blackball75
Silver Member
Scott came by about 3 weeks ago. He was professional, polite, businesslike, and friendly. He adapted without issue to the conditions he found himself in.

I'm not going to go into detail about what Scott said or did - employ his services if you want to know more :) - but suffice to say Scott has totally revolutionized how I view the billiards stroke. Before, I just viewed the stroke as a way of addressing the cue-ball. After Scott's instruction, I see delivering a correct, quality stroke as the ultimate aim - the cue-ball is merely an obstacle in the way of the stroke. It is not the primary focus. Deliver the correct stroke and you will also address the cue-ball correctly (making necessary adjustments for the specific situation). My stroke and overall game have already improved and I am much more aware of how I am performing my stroke.

Scott was with me for over 8 hours. Not once during that time did he stop teaching or slack off (he didn't even eat or go to the bathroom!). But he was only due to give me 4 hours' of instruction. So I got TWICE the amount of service I actually paid for. How many other service-providers will you get such a service from?? Not to mention one who is nationally recognized and respected for his methods, experience and knowledge. Scott made sure I thoroughly grasped his teachings before he left me. In total I got 5 hours 40 minutes of video that I can keep for good and review at my leisure. He also gave me a number of fundamental exercises I can use to maintain and improve my new stroke.

Scott's instruction was mentally and physically quite demanding, and by the end of the session I felt drained (clearly Scott is a lot fitter than I am, as he was all set to get back on the road towards Michigan). It gave me MUCH to think about. But it is definitely worth it - I guarantee you will view the game of billiards in a different way after a visit from Scott. I have no doubt his intelligent instruction has improved my game and started me down a route where I can continue to improve it.

Worth every penny. I recommend getting expert attention from Scott Lee 100%.

Last edited:

Gazelli

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a lesson with Scott today.

I had very high expectations of what to expect, based upon everything I've seen him post and from the reviews of previous students. He exceeded my expectations in every way. He was very friendly while maintaining a professional attitude. He was very well prepared, the course materials he provided are both excellent during the lesson, and will serve as the basis of my training and practice sessions for quite some time. I also believe they will serve as an excellent set of reference materials for years to come when my game goes off course. The video of the entire lesson will probably give me some laughs, but will also help me remember things I'm sure to forget that we discussed during the lesson.

We had a 4 hour lesson scheduled, and we ended up spending about 6 hours together. Scott asked if I had time constraints before we began and explained that his goal was to help me get to a point where I felt comfortable with what we covered well enough to put in training and practice time over the coming weeks to reinforce the concepts presented. He explained that many times the lesson goes past the planned time and that if I had time, we'd stay until we were done. He assured me that his fee was the same regardless. We all have been with clock watchers who seem to be ready to bolt to the door the second the time clock whistle blows. The time with Scott today was relaxed but moved at a rapid enough pace to keep my brain running at a fair to high clip the entire time we spent together. I'm pretty sure information was leaking out of my ears by the time we were done. :)

One, there are many, things that sticks in my mind that Scott said, is that we were developing my natural style with the SPF system, rather than forcing me to fit a cookie cutter model that may or may not work for me. Quoting from the course materials "Since different people have different bone structures, muscle tone, habits, etc., there is no style of play that will be perfect for everyone".... "Naturally, there may be "better" or "worse" ways of doing anything...this will be discussed during this Mechanics workshop".

If you have the opportunity to take a lesson from Scott I believe you will agree with me and those who have already posted in this thread. You will be getting a great deal for your money and your game is sure to improve if you are willing to put in the training and practice time to integrate the principles into your game.

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
Does anyone know where I can find Mr. Lee's travel schedule to find out when he will be near my area?

Thanks

Carl

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just send him a PM here...he will let you know his schedule.

Steve
I was following this thread and did PM Scott when I read your post(#6).

Edit: I met with Scott. My immediate comments are posts 1,3 & 4 describe Scott very well. I could spend 8 hours with Scott and next time I will. He is a very organized instructor. If anyone is considering learning from him...do it. Scott...if you are reading this...THANK YOU...nice meeting you. See you again sometime. Frank

Last edited:

freedog69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello- I just want to reiterate how great of an instructor Scott is, it was a pleasure working with him. I don't have the luxury of having a table in my home so I had to book time at the local pool hall. Which I can't say enough about Calvin and his staff at the Billiard Cafe. I was able to book a private room in the back for the same table rate as in the public area. My lesson was suppose to be a 4 hr lesson. Well what constitutes 4 hrs in Lee time is getting asked to pack it up because the pool hall was closing. Note this was about 8 hrs into the lesson. Calvin only charged me the 4 hrs and waived the rest of the time. Scott is extremely friendly and knowledgeable and I can't thank him enough. If there are any players who like to just shoot pool that are in the NH, MA, ME or CT area I would love to meet and maybe shoot a few racks. In the next few weeks I will be driving through CT so we might be able to hook up and play. Note: I am not a great player and I never gamble. I am just looking for new friends to shoot with that are in my area. Thanks everyone feel free to PM me.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always hear great things about Scott, and he has a great name too! LOL
One day I plan on getting with Scott and working on my game with him.:thumbup:

h4xs4w

Registered
Definitely worth it

I recently had the pleasure of being a student of Scott Lee's for an 8 hour scheduled, 9.5 hour actual, session, and would like to pass on my thoughts and opinions. I'm sure much of this applies to all the SPF instructors, but having only ever interacted with Scott, I can only speak in that scope.

For perspective, I am not a league player, but if had to guess, would say I am either an APA 4 or 5 player. I average 4-6 balls per inning, and run out about a quarter of the time on a good day, if that helps gauge my skill level.

It was a great concern of mine that at the end of the lesson I would be left with the feeling that I did not get my money's worth. This was definitely NOT the case. When all was said and done, I felt very satisfied with my choice of Scott as an instructor.

I am an introverted person, and do not socialize well for the most part. This was another concern of mine, as I understand the importance of good rapport between instructor and student. Scott very quickly made me feel comfortable and at ease in his presence, and the anxiety disappeared quickly. He has an assertive, but not overbearing, way about him that very subtley guides your focus into the lesson and his teachings, providing a strong sense of teamwork, versus a definite distinction between student/teacher. I genuinely felt like we were working together, instead of a "just do as I say" feeling. He's also very positive and encouraging in a way I hadn't expected. I have a perfectionists mentality, and after performing a drill shot, made the comment "not bad". Scott immediately corrected me, pointing out that a large part of being a successful pool player is the mental game. He made it clear that when I make a successfull shot, I need to let myself recognize it, because it hugely affects my confidence. That may not mean much to some, but it did to me, and I was quite impressed by it. It showed a genuine concern for my overall development as a pool player, not just a shot maker.

Working in the IT field, I have a great appreciation for Scott's methods. He very clearly and concisely observes, records, analyzes, deciphers, and explains every step of the process in great detail. But in no way is he forceful or demanding with his teachings. He is very open and candid with the fact that every player is different, and needs to find what works for them. His perspective seemed to be more along the lines of "this is the simplest, least complicated way to do this, but not the only way. Feel free to take it how you want, either utilize the knowledge or discard it".

He provided great insight towards concepts that I had read about, and thought I understood, but clearly did not. Before contacting Scott, I spent easily two months reading pretty much every post on AZB and BD regarding stroke, stance, grip, aiming systems (or lack thereof), follow through, etc. But it is one thing to read about these concepts and formulate your own ideas, than it is to have someone who knows what they're talking about actually SHOW you what these concepts really mean and how they function. For example, and by no means is this the only one, but I have always struggled with draw shots. Either there would be little to no draw applied to the cueball, or I would have no actual cueball control, as I was just "smashing" it, in an attempt to "accelerate" through the cueball as the posts on AZB suggest. He showed me that accelerating through the cueball to obtain draw is not accomplished through a single action or effort, but through performing every step of the process correctly. Using Scott's teachings and methodology, I am now able to apply a considerable amount of draw, without exerting half the effort, while being consistently accurate with position. At least more so than I ever have been before, still alot of work to do.

A bit long winded, I know, but I feel it was justly deserved by Scott. Being the introverted perfectionist I am, I have the tendency to be an a**hole, and do not offer compliments lightly. But I feel quite proud and honored to have spent the time I did with Scott, and without a doubt will be scheduling a second session down the road.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just took my next lesson from Scott. A very well organized instructor to learn from. Do yourself a favor and contact him. He delivers... literally. Scott comes to your door. Travels to your town. Could not be more convenient. I'm having more fun than ever playing. I'm playing better than ever.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This was my 3rd 4 hour session with Scott. Just got better and more fun as the day rolled on.
I'm learning something new every time. I definitely feel improvement. A great teacher. Easy to work with. Scott delivers. Thanks again Scott for bringing your traveling college of knowledge to my house today. Enjoyed every minute of the lesson. Hated to see the day end. See you again sometime in the Spring. Frank

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the best job in the world! As I travel around the country, year after year, making new friends, and sharing what I know to help other poolplayers develop their own accurate and repeatable stroke processes, I find it very rewarding to be able to point people in the right direction, and give them a path to follow. Wherever you are, contact me, and I will come to you! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it's better than three years since this thread was posted, and I thought some new AzBr's might like to read about some more good experiences...

I'm still traveling...but time wears on. I can't drive 1000 miles at a stretch like I used to...but I'm now on Medicare, so I'm entitled! LOL If you, or a group of your friends really want to improve...contact me, and I'll come see you for a day or two...or you can come work with me in FL! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it's better than three years since this thread was posted, and I thought some new AzBr's might like to read about some more good experiences...

I'm still traveling...but time wears on. I can't drive 1000 miles at a stretch like I used to...but I'm now on Medicare, so I'm entitled! LOL If you, or a group of your friends really want to improve...contact me, and I'll come see you for a day or two...or you can come work with me in FL! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

Scott,

You going to be in the Indiana area in the near/not too distant future?

r/Mike

p.s. I finally did play in a tournament.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Scott. Hope you’re doing better. I emailed you. I have a friend in Baltimore that wants lessons. He is the perfect student for you. Needs everything you have to offer. Hopefully you’re in his area sometime.