Rambow cue ID and info please

maplecap

Jack
Silver Member
Helping out a friend trying to get a realistic value on this cue. This stuff is well over my head. Estate sales find. I have more pictures but could only load five. Thanks in advance. I know some of you are total experts. There is another cue. I’ll post pictures when I figure it out. The other cue says(in a clear window) Dale Laube. 4152 Elston Chicago. Pat. 1966. I lived in that neighborhood but don’t remember anyone being there. I’ll start another thread with that cue later. Thanks Jack

Attachments

• 3278CD3C-A343-45E3-83E5-B1BCDF9C9A4D.jpg
    3278CD3C-A343-45E3-83E5-B1BCDF9C9A4D.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 540
  • F01B5488-8436-44F6-9E08-86FB62E5C870.jpg
    F01B5488-8436-44F6-9E08-86FB62E5C870.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 533
  • FE5B7BC6-9BA0-435D-9161-88074973B9DC.jpg
    FE5B7BC6-9BA0-435D-9161-88074973B9DC.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 532
  • 34E6CCAB-50AC-445C-A322-73E5C5B7CA9A.jpg
    34E6CCAB-50AC-445C-A322-73E5C5B7CA9A.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 540
  • 0F86F31A-B7A9-477E-98F4-E5662BEFF842.jpg
    0F86F31A-B7A9-477E-98F4-E5662BEFF842.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
It looks like the real deal to me. Except for the first pic....to fuzzy to be a Rambow butt cap. JK, nice cue! Thanks for the pics.:cool:

maplecap

Jack
Silver Member
I just wanted to add. Has original shaft but slightly warped. I believe it is totally unrestored.

maplecap

Jack
Silver Member
One more Rambow pic and a few of the Laube. Any way to tell the age of the Rambow approximately?

Attachments

• 39F44FCC-1EDD-4525-8245-477A2CA8BC70.jpg
    39F44FCC-1EDD-4525-8245-477A2CA8BC70.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 509
  • CA23427A-C1F9-45E6-85D7-7AB9FFC9E1C6.jpg
    CA23427A-C1F9-45E6-85D7-7AB9FFC9E1C6.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 507
  • EFAAE51D-6CE9-43DC-937C-E7BB7D0CAA41.jpg
    EFAAE51D-6CE9-43DC-937C-E7BB7D0CAA41.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 505
  • F476ABC2-B391-49A4-868F-2DD5F399FE4A.jpg
    F476ABC2-B391-49A4-868F-2DD5F399FE4A.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 503
  • 5A8F1BDA-E36E-4015-AD4F-D4D0CA4A2822.jpg
    5A8F1BDA-E36E-4015-AD4F-D4D0CA4A2822.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Nice Laube cue. Definitely a piece of billiard history. It was many a top player who chose one of Eddie's cues.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both cues are special IMHO.

The Rambow is fancy. Looks unmolested.

The Laube cue is rare as well, and a fine example.

I won't touch value on either but will say both are worth paying for professional appraisal.

I would love to own both and am pleased to see pics of both.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I won't touch value on either but will say both are worth paying for professional appraisal.

That's wrong, the "professional" appraiser will say it is priceless and worth many thousands.

It's worth a lot more as a historical item than as an asset.

You'd be lucky to get $2500 in all cash. The people who care about Rambow cues are dying off and the market is dropping by the day.

It is a fantastic example and you should be proud to own it. It is cooler to keep in the family, selling it won't get you enough to endure the loss.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
That's wrong, the "professional" appraiser will say it is priceless and worth many thousands.

You'd be lucky to get $2500 in all cash. The people who care about Rambow cues are dying off and the market is dropping by the day.

It is a fantastic example and you should be proud to own it. It is cooler to keep in the family, selling it won't get you enough to endure the loss.

Appraisers will no doubt be behind the curve somewhat. Truth can be harsh. I would say the cue dates between 1960 to 65. Just a guess.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, sorry if I am wrong.

Indeed there are issues with professional appraisal. I know you know about that.

Indeed, those who care are dwindling.

They definitely have value.

A fancy Rambow is unusual.

They are worth insuring. I'll put it that way. And that might require appraisal.

2500? Probably right. Or at least not far off.

I don't touch the issue because somebody always feels like they got their dick stepped on. Too high or too low.

A legitimate sale would determine the actual current value, which is typically lower than insured value.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Its a nice Rambow and It has some decent amount of work in it. Rambows with inlays are not common.

As far as appraisals, what really matters with appraisers is what part of the market place are they familiar with. Are they also a reseller? Are they a collector? Is there skin in the game for them?

Its the same as opinions on a forum. Does that person hold a grudge on the industry? Does he not like Rambows? There are people that hold a lot of contempt and bitterness and would not hesitate to devalue a cue due to their own issues.

In the case of the appraiser he will have to factor in the "current" market. If the appraisal is based off of market or resale value, it will have one number. If the appraiser is a collector and is reaffirming his own collection value, it will have a different number. If the appraiser is a historian he may get swayed and influenced by the awe factor of what it is.

At the end of the day, you have a very fancy Rambow, which is rare. It would not be impossible to replace, but very difficult. Its all original which should influence value in a positive manner, but with cues, it seems the destruction of originality is rewarded.

As stated the people who appreciate Rambows are becoming less and less. Even at the height of the market, those people were rare. But you had people who had to have one for their collection. Not the case so much now.

Now with the Laube, his family were recently out to purchase examples of his work. If you can find them, they may be interested in acquiring the cue.

Good luck....

JV

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the cues were a "find" meaning that they were bought at the estate sale for pennies on the dollar of actual value and the finder is obviously NOT a cue person at all or there would be no ask on this site - then the logical thing to do would be a sale. What "layman" wants to keep historical cues when they know nothing about cues? I agree with the assessment that the "market " for these 2 cues is quite diminished, due to the growing age of those who would both appreciate and collect - at a price- either of these cues. So, in order to sell the cues at the "market" price - you are no doubt asking us what is a fair "opening bid" and let the current market determine the actual sale price , because without a fair opening bid - the uninitiated seller might get hosed by a more knowledgeable buyer. I have attended many estate type sales/auctions/garage sales in my time so the first question is what did he pay for the cues- possible in that setting to get them for $10 each in some instances where no one there knows anything about cues and never thought to look it up- I have made scores like this in the past!
So my advice, if they were obtained real cheap and he wants to sell them is to use this site and just post each cue separately in the for sale section and ask for Best offers- the "market" will determine the actual offers, but today I would estimate that both cues together will result in total offers not exceeding $3000. The other option is eBay (14% total fees) and list each cue at a BUY it Now of $2000 and also ask for best offers on a 30 day listing- I would recommend accepting any offer of $1200 or more on either cue given today's market , especially if he got the cues on the cheap, which is what I suspect here. Trying to hold out for some pie in the sky top dollar on those 2 cues no longer makes sense - the market for them is seriously dwindling as someone else here posted- sell them NOW at the best price offered period! Take the profits and be happy with the find!

As a very experienced "picker" of all things valuable - 95% of the time I advise taking current market value cash ASAP after a find - very rare to "find" something that is going to seriously appreciate over time and these cues fall into a depreciating category for sure! So advise to sell now my friend.

Last edited:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree with some comments here.. there are 'appraisers' and
then there's the real world value, what the market will bear.

Rambow to me looks like early '60's.. I've seen a few with
the many dots on them.. $.02

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
One I sold in the last 6 mos....

JV

Attachments

• 1191_all.jpg
    1191_all.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 268
  • 1191_fore.jpg
    1191_fore.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 1191_butt_2.jpg
    1191_butt_2.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 274

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
May seem like an odd question but I wonder if Rambow had a machine to write the script on his cues or if he did it by hand.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
May seem like an odd question but I wonder if Rambow had a machine to write the script on his cues or if he did it by hand.

My understanding is he used a calligrapher using a wood-burning pen/stylus. I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone will pipe up ( I believe that tidbit comes from Ray Martin but not positive ).

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
My understanding is he used a calligrapher using a wood-burning pen/stylus. I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone will pipe up ( I believe that tidbit comes from Ray Martin but not positive ).

Correct, Herman used Charles Kimmel to sign most of his cues.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

It's heavy pencil, like drafters used back then