AZ members tournament..?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody ever pondered the idea of a members event? You could go by Fargo ratings and have a cut-off date by which they'd have to be a member. Just curious if this has ever been a topic. Putting faces to AZ names could be funny/enlightening and possibly even combative. Might need an octagon and have cage matches too. ;)

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Anybody ever pondered the idea of a members event? You could go by Fargo ratings and have a cut-off date by which they'd have to be a member. Just curious if this has ever been a topic. Putting faces to AZ names could be funny/enlightening and possibly even combative. Might need an octagon and have cage matches too. ;)

Why go by fargo ratings? Having a handicap tournament?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why go by fargo ratings? Having a handicap tournament?
There is a wide variance of skill levels on here. IMO Fargo would be the way to do it. The turnout could be pretty big if time/location was good.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz West Tour uses Fargo ratings for it tournaments and is very successful drawing over 100 players most of the time.

Pros go to 9, semi pros go to 8, then someone like me (636) goes to 7, and there is a lower level that goes to 6.

Amateur (Fargo Rating -551) - Race to 6
Veteran (Fargo Rating 551+) - Race to 7
Semi Pro (Fargo Rating 651+) - Race to 8
Professional (Fargo Rating 720+) - Race to 9

A 6 or 7 does not have much chance of beating a pro, but most of the players in the tournaments go to 6 or 7, and with the large number of players you have a good chance of playing most of your matches with someone around your own speed.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz West Tour uses Fargo ratings for it tournaments and is very successful drawing over 100 players most of the time.

Pros go to 9, semi pros go to 8, then someone like me (636) goes to 7, and there is a lower level that goes to 6. You can check out their website to see where the Fargo cutoffs are. https://www.mezzweststatetour.com/

A 6 or 7 does not have much chance of beating a pro, but most of the players in the tournaments go to 6 or 7, and with the large number of players you have a good chance of playing most of your matches with someone around your own speed.
Thanks JH. Good info.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Race to 1 Round Robin no handicaps. Everyone plays a lot.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
What about players that may have never had a fargo rating? I'm talking about basement dwellers:p

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

There have been dozens of Internet forum get togethers, whether the group was RSB, Billiards Digest Forum, or AZBilliards. We used to have an annual AZB room at the Derby City Classic.

Freddie <~~~ social

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not just NOT have prize money- everybody play even, but each person kicks in say $75 and all have a great dinner together somewhere after the tournament- I think that would be way better than trying to handicap it- those who want to gamble can do so with each other as they wish during and after the tournament. I think that is a better way to celebrate the game, our common interests, and satisfy those who need to play for $$$$. the tournament winner gets an AZ "King of the Hill" trophy and everybody just has a great time!! No one complains about their "rating" or feels "cheated" - everybody goes home having made new friends and a better understanding of those who share this common interest. Maybe people bring cues& cases that that want to trade or sell- or just show off-- so you have a cue & case swap as well!! I would think that would really put the icing on the cake!

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not just NOT have prize money- everybody play even, but each person kicks in say $75 and all have a great dinner together somewhere after the tournament- I think that would be way better than trying to handicap it- those who want to gamble can do so with each other as they wish during and after the tournament. I think that is a better way to celebrate the game, our common interests, and satisfy those who need to play for $$$$. the tournament winner gets an AZ "King of the Hill" trophy and everybody just has a great time!! No one complains about their "rating" or feels "cheated" - everybody goes home having made new friends and a better understanding of those who share this common interest. Maybe people bring cues& cases that that want to trade or sell- or just show off-- so you have a cue & case swap as well!! I would think that would really put the icing on the cake!
You think that having players who might be 150-200pts apart in Fargo playing heads-up would be fair or fun? Not me.No one is going to travel to a tournament just to get run over by someone they have no chance against. Oh well it was just a thought. I can see now it would never happen.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's make it a fishing tournament here in Tampa. $2500 per boat entry fee. Max of four anglers per boat. All proceeds go to charity to benefit foster children. Then on Sunday we can have a one pocket tournament.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
This seems like a great idea! Somebody with time and resources should put it together and make it happen.